Sep 08, 2012, 11:35 AM
Wow, the sky is clear

Information

Hi guys
Thank you very much for the ideas on this forum.
My helicopters are much better since I know this forum.

I myself have two DH9116. I love them for their size. I can fly either before (in the street) or rear of the house.

Naturally it takes tools to play with these birds.
1 - Soldering Iron
2 - small screwdriver

It should also spare parts
1) 2 main engines
2) 4 engines for tail
3) I PCB
4) Other parts (canopy, blades, etc.)

The best idea I've found to date on this forum:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2795 By: stormforce
for spacers under the main blades. You will see on my picture of the spacers blades are white. In another picture you can also see the canopy of spacers (in white)
1) Less noise
2) Easier to land
3) Easier to take off (the engine does not cut off)
4) The blades do not hang over the tail boom
5) Easier to make hovering
6) More accurate in the air.
7) Always keep the blades extended for takeoff

Small recipe for takeoff without wind

1) Always keep the blades extended for takeoff
2) Rotate the engine slowly
3) Observe the tail when increasing the motor speed
4) Make the necessary correction with the trim before takeoff ( center the tail )
5) When the tail is centered
6) Takeoff
7) If you are not able to centralize the tail boom, close power of helico and power of TX. Restart TX and helico.
8) Good flight

Small recipe for takeoff with light wind

1) Place the helicopter upwind
2) Rotate the engine slowly
3) Observe the the tail when increasing the motor speed
4) Make the necessary correction with the trim before takeoff ( center the tail )
5) When the tail is centered
6) Takeoff
7) If you are not able to centralize the tail boom, close power of helico and power of TX. Restart TX and helico.
8) Good flight

Small recipe for takeoff with wind gusts
1) No flight

Small recipe for takeoff with rain
1) No flight

In the house
1) No flight

Photo # 1 Spacer for blade
Photo # 2 Top vue helico
Photo # 3 Canopy spacer

Bye Gilles
Last edited by OrangeBird; Oct 09, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 08, 2012, 05:31 PM
I have a couple of question for the people who have had this bird a while. Will it bind to the 9x and is it a good step up from the v911?? Also at 60 dollars shipped is it a good value.
Sep 09, 2012, 02:21 AM
Wicked, tricksy, false!
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstadam2k
I have a couple of question for the people who have had this bird a while. Will it bind to the 9x and is it a good step up from the v911?? Also at 60 dollars shipped is it a good value.
The 9116 is imho no improvement to the 911. If you have the 911 already and know how to fly this little bugger and want to improve your skills and have A LOT of fun go for a V929/V949 ( it is only ~45$ shipped and near to indestructible, too). Got one too and wished I had a start with them instead of (several) 9116.
The 9116 will not completely bind to the 9x, there are some rudder-problems involved and I know of no solution yet.
It's quite strange, because you can bind the 911 and the 929 to the 9116-TX and both bind to the 9x.
-mike-
Sep 09, 2012, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany
The 9116 is imho no improvement to the 911. If you have the 911 already and know how to fly this little bugger and want to improve your skills and have A LOT of fun go for a V929/V949 ( it is only ~45$ shipped and near to indestructible, too). Got one too and wished I had a start with them instead of (several) 9116.
The 9116 will not completely bind to the 9x, there are some rudder-problems involved and I know of no solution yet.
It's quite strange, because you can bind the 911 and the 929 to the 9116-TX and both bind to the 9x.
-mike-
Are there any 250 300 class fixed pitch that will bind to the new t6 and 9x. The t6 is newer and is more inline for what i am looking at. Also i take it the 9116 just not good or is it cool as a stand alone? before i got the v911 i had a cx3 and it was craptacular.
Sep 09, 2012, 10:47 AM
Wicked, tricksy, false!
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstadam2k
Are there any 250 300 class fixed pitch that will bind to the new t6 and 9x. The t6 is newer and is more inline for what i am looking at. Also i take it the 9116 just not good or is it cool as a stand alone? before i got the v911 i had a cx3 and it was craptacular.
My opinion to the 9116 I had written down there:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3133

As a 300-class heli there are many who recommend the F45, but I can't say anything about it, don't own one myself.
-mike-
Sep 09, 2012, 01:44 PM
Wow, the sky is clear

Yes

Hi
YES, so true
Bye Gilles
Sep 09, 2012, 02:14 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
The F45 is a great bird. My favorite out of many so far. It has a reasonable upgrade path. I would recommend it to anyone.

The first 9116 I flew has been a dud. The second has a bad PCB but flies wonderfully.
Sep 09, 2012, 06:19 PM

Need Opinions

While I love my modded 9116's, I think I've taken them to their limits and would like to move up. I have no interest in quads and want something at least the size of the 9116. From what I've read the Walkera V400 D02 seems to be the 9116 of the 6 channel world, but being fairly new at this I don't know if there's anything better out there in the same low price range. Any experience or opinions?
Sep 09, 2012, 08:59 PM
Cranky old fart
The V400D02 is crap. You will have to replace just about everything on it. It needs better servos, gyro, motors, frame and head components. That doesn't leave much. A 9116 is not much experience for any CP heli.
Sep 10, 2012, 05:58 AM

??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14
The V400D02 is crap. You will have to replace just about everything on it. It needs better servos, gyro, motors, frame and head components. That doesn't leave much. A 9116 is not much experience for any CP heli.
OK, from your previous posts it seems you're probably the most experienced flyer on this thread so what would you recommend other than a quad. I agree that it's a big jump from a 9116 and that's why I don't want to go to anything that's going to cost a fortune to repair after the inevitable crashes.
Sep 10, 2012, 09:06 AM
Cranky old fart
The Blade 120SR is probably the best choice. It's not the size you want and I would prefer something a little more difficult to fly. Beyond that, your choices are micros, such as the Blade MRSx and MCPx or Walkera MiniCP and SuperFP. None of these are easy to fly, but at least they are quite durable. Nine Eagles makes a couple of acceptable models as well, but I do not have enough personal experience with their products to express an opinion.

The only helis in the size you want that would be considered "next steps" are the ESky beginners kit, Walkera UFlyS or Exceed Falcon 40. All would be a huge step for you and may be difficult to find, depending on the country you live in. The Walkera V200D01 is more readily available and would be a good choice, but it's not particularly durable. The F45 that so many beginners are fond of, will not advance your skills. It's easier and more gentle to fly than the 9116.

A quad is really the best transitional vehicle for you in terms of learning, durability and cost. You don't have to like them, just learn from them. Quads and flybarless micros are what the hobby market defines as beginner helis these days. The toy companies (Double Horse, WL Toys, MJX, Syma, etc.) were quick to jump on the 45° flybar patents the hobby makers had abandoned, but even they have started to shift to quads. The 45° flybar design was meant to make micros easier to fly and does not scale up well, so it doesn't have much future.

Most of us don't have a lot of money to spend on a hobby like this. It's quite common to look for the cheapest acceptable option, even if it means dealing with costs and issues that result. But, if you are spending time and money upgrading and replacing defective parts on beginner helis, you are wasting it. The time you spend waiting for parts that you should be flying and learning, is worse than lost time. It's time you will need to spend relearning, because you didn't do it enough to retain it. You can spend hundreds of dollars and 6 months or more learning what a $50 quad would have taught you in two weeks. When you haven't got the budget, you need to make more intelligent choices; they won't always be what you really want, in the short term.
Last edited by Balr14; Sep 10, 2012 at 11:24 AM.
Sep 10, 2012, 11:58 AM
Wicked, tricksy, false!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14
A quad is really the best transitional vehicle for you in terms of learning, durability and cost. You don't have to like them, just learn from them.
Most of us don't have a lot of money to spend on a hobby like this. It's quite common to look for the cheapest acceptable option, even if it means dealing with costs and issues that result. But, if you are spending time and money upgrading and replacing defective parts on beginner helis, you are wasting it. The time you spend waiting for parts that you should be flying and learning, is worse than lost time. It's time you will need to spend relearning, because you didn't do it enough to retain it. You can spend hundreds of dollars and 6 months or more learning what a $50 quad would have taught you in two weeks. When you haven't got the budget, you need to make more intelligent choices; they won't always be what you really want, in the short term.
+1
I didn't like quads at all (first). Now I've got one for 2 weeks and must admit Balr14 is absolutely right. They may be ugly in my eyes (and they still are) but the one HAS tought me more in two weeks than the whole bunch of beginners FP-4CH stuff.
It helped me to fly better with the 4CH-birds I own already, too.
-mike-
Sep 10, 2012, 12:44 PM
Too Old To Die:
Good morning everyone. I read a thread some where about a motor by Blade that can be used as a upgrade for the 9116. Extreme pro 180a. Can anyone give me some information about this motor. Had my 9116 for about three months, been flying really great. A few days ago flight time went from about six min to one min. After about one min it start to lose altitude, not crash, just slowly set down. I have two stock battery (650 mah). swaped old battery with new one , still same problem. Could the brushed motor be burned out ? If so I would like to go with a more power upgrade. And where do I buy one?Also a 900mah battery ?
Sep 10, 2012, 12:52 PM
Crash and learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSpool
Good morning everyone. I read a thread some where about a motor by Blade that can be used as a upgrade for the 9116. Extreme pro 180a. Can anyone give me some information about this motor. Had my 9116 for about three months, been flying really great. A few days ago flight time went from about six min to one min. After about one min it start to lose altitude, not crash, just slowly set down. I have two stock battery (650 mah). swaped old battery with new one , still same problem. Could the brushed motor be burned out ? If so I would like to go with a more power upgrade. And where do I buy one?Also a 900mah battery ?
First find and fix the problem before modifying the design and causing more complications. Try a new stock motor.

Check your batteries with a digital voltmeter. Fully charged = 8.40 volts. Having two batteries does not mean one of them is good. Could be battery abuse or improper charging or not enough cool-down for helicopter or battery.

900mah LiPo battery - Should be same size and weight as stock 650mah Li-Ion
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-7-4V-20C-...item2307ea4556

Read about 900mah battery
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...40154&page=207

If it is beyond hope, and before replacing the motor, put ONE drop of oil where the metal shaft enters the brass bushing on the motor.
Last edited by Ribble; Sep 10, 2012 at 04:01 PM.
Sep 10, 2012, 01:08 PM
Wicked, tricksy, false!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSpool
Had my 9116 for about three months, been flying really great. A few days ago flight time went from about six min to one min. After about one min it start to lose altitude, not crash, just slowly set down.
3 months with one main motor? I'll bet the brushes are down. Insert new (stock) motor.
Upgrading to a 180pro doesn't make sense, some experiences are in this thread.
You use stock batts? charge them and read with a digital voltmeter. Stock batts are Li-Io- so you should read 8.2V.
Easy way to check if battery or motor causes the problem, buy a Low Voltage Buzzer

and have a test fly. If the batt breaks down when you throttle up it's the batt, if not, it's the motor.
A Low Voltage Buzzer weights only 6 gr and it indicates per LED and sound if voltage per cell is dropping below 3.6V.
Plus: balancer plug is secured.
-mike-
Last edited by mikefromgermany; Sep 10, 2012 at 01:35 PM.

Quick Reply