Oct 07, 2002, 06:44 PM
Doug, let me hanger my Switchback with his so it wouldn’t be lonely. Can you tell which one it is? .

We all had fun,
-LL
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2002, 09:48 PM
LL,
yep, those were the two micros I saw. They both flew real nice.

Hey Lefty, your SB looks pretty sharp there. I don't remember seeing it but then again so many planes and so little time...

I sure liked that little blue bipe. Got any idea where the kit came from? I'm just about done with my mini-flash and thinking I might try a micro flyer next.
Oct 07, 2002, 10:14 PM
Pro Bro #495
The little blue bipe is an acro bipe free flight conversion. That one belonged to Jason Nowel (don't think I spelled his last name right). I'm pretty sure he gave it a new paint job which is something I should have done to my micro(the little balsa plane just above it). Do a search for acro bipe and you will find lots of info. I realy like the gws dd and 9volt battery power set up for planes this size(15 for acro bipe and 16 for mine).
Oct 08, 2002, 08:41 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Mattk17, you can get the Acro Bipe here:

http://www.storeofwonder.com/store.html

It is a cute little bipe and the price sure is good.
Latest blog entry: My 2022 event schedule.
Oct 08, 2002, 09:31 AM
Thanks guys! I'm going to get one of those bipes. Good thing the price is low because it looks like a 1 crash model...maybe I better order 2 of em
Oct 08, 2002, 11:06 AM
Flying...Pushing Air Down

Micro Ugly Stick

Tres,

Thanks for posting all the photos. It was like being there again, and it sure was FUN. I really liked seeing your Wing-E fly. Very impressive.

Ken Spencer took some still photos of the 6 inch Ugly Stick in flight. Maybe if we yell at him loud enough, he'll post some of them here.

HEY KEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many thanks to Bob Selman for letting me fly it. The first flight was almost a disaster, as we had a sticky elevator (up), but Michael Connally talked me into a lucky landing by reminding me that I could throttle BACK. The second flight was quite a thrill and lasted several minutes. Ken and Bob can make anything fly. That tiny little plane looked so cool in the air that I couldn't believe what I was seeing, and I was flying it. It flies extremely well.

For those who didn't see it, here is a static photo. That's a quarter by the display stand.

Thanks again Bob. Hey Ken !!!! Photo(s), please!

Gary
Last edited by sr71fan; Oct 08, 2002 at 11:14 AM.
Oct 08, 2002, 10:26 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Thread OP
Gary-

Thanks for the micro pic! I was really regretting not getting a pic of that little beauty! I'm impressed you could fly it, you must have good eyesight I overheard someone on Sunday say your flight was clocked at 6 minutes! Very impressive for such a light flyer. I believe it has a li-poly cell on board? I was particularly impressed that even at that tiny size all the controls were mounted inside the fuselage and the tiny ribs had lightening holes in them! Wonderful craftsmanship.

Thomas-

==thanks for the kind words about my flying.==

Thank you for giving us all such a great show! Believe me, the pleasure was mine!

==I was so busy flying and watching that I did not get around and say hello to as many E-Zoners as I wanted to. Your pit area was right next to ours and I should have said hello! ==

Well we all got to "share the air" even if we didn't specifically talk to each other, it was a great environment with wonderful people sharing something we're all passionate about. Seeing each other fly is a way of introducing ourselves, and in that respect we all bonded quite nicely! I thought it was great that there was so much "crossover", people that might normally fly one type of plane were sharing thoughts and ideas with a full spectrum of fliers. I tend to fly small aerobatic balsa parkflyers, but I had some great conversations with pilots of sailplanes, hotliners, pattern planes, etc. etc. etc. I left there wanting one of everything!

L&L- thanks for the additional pics! That little blue bipe was neat and flew really well. I didn't get a good look at it, but I assume it had ailerons as it was doing some very nice rolls.
Oct 08, 2002, 11:47 PM

Thanks Tres!

I'm so bummed out that I didn't get to go to this! I was hoping someone would get pictures. While you guys were out having fun in the sun, I spent about 20 hours working on a crashed network server!

I really wanted to go so I could meet you guys in person and wanted to hanger my Big Daddy DuskStik over at the Mountain Models tent.

Sorry I haven't been hanging around in "Parkflyers" much anymore... I've entered the dark secret worlds of electric helicopters (Ikarus Piccolo) and Micro RC!
I now have a 3CH airplane with an AUW of 0.8oz
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...threadid=63790
and I'm currently building the "MicroMoth".
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...threadid=54052

,Lewis
Last edited by flytowner; Oct 08, 2002 at 11:51 PM.
Oct 09, 2002, 12:08 AM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
Yeah FLY. I looked and looked for the BDDS and I did not see it anywhere...
Kirb
Oct 10, 2002, 12:04 AM

Ugly Stick

Here's a photo by Ken Spencer of Bob Selman preparing to launch the Ugly Stick for me. Thanks Ken!
Oct 10, 2002, 12:17 AM

Stick Flies!

Here's a photo by Ken Spencer of the lightweight in flight. Notice those two heads (Bob and me) are looking TOWARD the camera, at the plane.
Oct 10, 2002, 12:36 AM
Last one. Thanks for the pictures, Ken. Thanks for the flight, Bob.

Gary
Oct 10, 2002, 11:44 AM

LiPoly

Tres,

I think I remember Bob saying that the battery was a 40 mAh LiPoly. It must weigh next to nothing, as it looks like a small piece of paper. Can't remember any other details; should start writing things down.

The airplane DID get small(er) really quick. My glasses prescription is abouit 5 years old.

Great meeting you, and look forward to a lot more good times like that one.

Happy flying!

Gary
Oct 10, 2002, 01:08 PM
Hi guys,

The Micro Ugly Stick was built by Nick Leichty of Florida. It has his radio in it.

Specs:

Wingspan 6 inches.
Wingarea 9 sq.in.
Weight 7.2 grams.
Controls are proportional and it uses ailerons, elevator and motor.
Power plant is Bit Charger 2.2 motor with 3:1 gearing and Gasparin 2 inch CO2 prop.
Battery is the Kokam 40 mahr Lithium Polymer
Nick also makes the actuators.

The radio parts are viewable on my website

http://users.joplin.com/~bselman

Bob
Oct 10, 2002, 02:48 PM
Great shots of that gnat (i mean plane)! I saw the guy with the crew cut flying a foamie jet powered by 2 prop drives and he was really working it out with loops and such. Too bad I missed the really small one.

Quick Reply