This thread is privately moderated by tr miller, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 01, 2020, 08:11 PM
Here are the combat scores for week of September 1st. Only 2 weeks left and then the combat challenge on September 20th. Please be sure to register here: https://flyvam.com/event/vam-combat-chalange/
Sep 15, 2020, 08:33 PM
Here are the combat scores for 09/15/2020. This is also the final week for Tuesday night combat so the year to date scores are also included. Great season and we hope to see even more participation next year. Remember the combat challenge this coming Sunday, September 20th at Quarry field. Pilot meeting at 10:45.
Sep 20, 2020, 04:32 PM
Heath

VAM Combat Challenge 2020

Scores:
Heath: 2832
Andy R: 2520
Andy G: 2409
Will: 2144
Mickey: 2114
Kyle: 1925
Jeff: 1477
Tim: 1427
Todd: 1310
Bob: 1041
Jim: 996
Peyton: 990
Mike: 891
Josh: 8
Oct 16, 2020, 08:21 PM
Love what you guys are doing with the electric streamer combat!!!

Our local field in Brenham, TX has become the host field to the traditional glow combat, which is awesome but the glow power just isn't my style. Just wanted to say thanks to you all for the info and ideas and excitement that you've shared!

Have you guys come to favor any of the suggested airframes? The HB1 looks the most appealing to myself.

Anyways, I'm going to try to get some things going around here with E1000, and was just looking for some quick tips advice.

The streamers that you guys are using are the same size as the typical streamers for SSC?
5 min rounds with a 30 sec take off period?
Is the 5x4 prop the "go to" for 5 min of full throttle without killing batteries?
Are most guys using 5 or 9 gram servos?

Sorry for all of the questions, and sorry if the answers to these have been discussed previously.

thanks again guys!

-Kramer
Oct 16, 2020, 10:23 PM
Heath
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkramer11
Have you guys come to favor any of the suggested airframes? The HB1 looks the most appealing to myself.
Visit our website here for more information on airframes. I like the HB1 but then I am not totally objective as I designed it.

Quote:
The streamers that you guys are using are the same size as the typical streamers for SSC?
Yes, same with and length (crepe paper)

Quote:
5 min rounds with a 30 sec take off period?
Exactly the same time as SSC, 90 sec to launch then 5 min combat round. However, most people launch in the final 30 sec to start combat.

Quote:
Is the 5x4 prop the "go to" for 5 min of full throttle without killing batteries?
Are most guys using 5 or 9 gram servos?
A 5x4 with a 2204 or 2205 by 2300kv motor will result in six min flight times at 100% throttle.
Any motor & prop combination that results in 10 to 12 amps static draw will give you the correct flight time.
If you already have 9 gram servos you can use them. If you are buying servos buy 5 gram metal gear servos. I am a big fan of DSM-44s.

Quote:
Anyways, I'm going to try to get some things going around here with E1000, and was just looking for some quick tips advice.
Decide on a design to test and build one yourself. Do some test flying. Then if you are happy with how it flies do a group order and host a build night. The airframe is open but it helps new pilots get started if they have a proven design instead of everyone trying to design something from scratch.
Oct 16, 2020, 11:56 PM
Yeah i just built one of the ft arrows over the span of a few nights (second ft plane to build from scratch). I didn't have any 1000mah packs; I did have one 1050 that was just a bit too wide and seemed a little heavy. I ordered some 1000mah packs and some 5x4 props.

The FTArrow flew well but definitely had to keep a close eye on it. It was not nearly as easy to fly as my slightly larger epp popwing which is what i was kind of basing this plane off of.

Are there no good streamer classes built around a 3s2200 mah pack since these are the cheapest and most common? You would think there would be something structured around these but the slightly smaller size is nice to use the cheap hxt900 servos. Just wondering what the reason was.
Oct 17, 2020, 12:35 PM
Heath
Quote:
Are there no good streamer classes built around a 3s2200 mah pack since these are the cheapest and most common? You would think there would be something structured around these but the slightly smaller size is nice to use the cheap hxt900 servos. Just wondering what the reason was.
Glow power can be divided into classes base on motor size:
1/2A = .049 glow
A = .15 glow -> (SSC and GNAT are subsets of A size)
B = .30 glow -> (Limited B & 2548 are subsets of B size)
C = .46 glow

3s1000 mah was chosen as a class size because it is about equivalent to 1/2A glow power. (when set up for 5 to 6 min of flight time)
A 3s2200 would be about equal to a .10 glow motor (when set up for 5 to 6 min of flight time)

I used a 3s1000 mah because it is a good fit for the FT-Arrow. I picked the airframe first, then used a 1000 mah instead of 800 or 1300 because I was aware of the 1000 mah proposed class size. The first FT-Arrow I built was not intended as a combat plane as we were flying GNAT combat at the time. But after flying the FT-Arrow I starting advocating that we switch classes.
Last edited by Salin; Oct 17, 2020 at 12:43 PM.
Oct 19, 2020, 11:31 AM
Is the HB1 easily damaged? I’ve never flown a printed plane. Just wondering how durable this plane is. Do you print the fuse using PETG?
Oct 19, 2020, 12:29 PM
Heath
Quote:
Is the HB1 easily damaged? I’ve never flown a printed plane. Just wondering how durable this plane is. Do you print the fuse using PETG?
Anything will break if you hit it hard enough. About the same strength as plywood, stronger than balsa or foam but not as strong as aluminum. It is a printed part after all not an extruded aluminum U channel. I have been printing them with a single .8mm wall and 10% infill. Could be stronger but more weight with two walls and more infill.

I like to print in PETG but I have printed the fuse in PLA and it works fine. Printing in PETG increases the temperature resistance and is possibly a little stronger.
Nov 08, 2020, 11:39 PM

HB1 in Progress

Just wanting to extend a "thanks" for designing/sharing the files for this bird. I couldn't take it anymore (bought a 3dprinter) and just started printing the bits for the HB1.

Just got the tail printed off (almost flawless), and was curious about the weight. Scale is showing 59g. Does that sound similar to what you were getting?

Also, I'm giving the esun pla+ a try.
Nov 09, 2020, 12:21 AM
Heath
My tails are 30g when printed in PTEG or PLA when printed at 0% infill with 4 top and 4 bottom layers wall thickness of .8mm.

Did you print it with 0% infill?

What printer are you using?
Nov 09, 2020, 01:09 AM
Yeah I did 0% Infill. Must be a wall thickness issue.

You sure it’s .8mm wall thickness that you used? Could it have been .4?

I’ve got the pod running overnight. I bet it’s gonna be double the weight as well. Def not gonna work out.

I’m using the Sovol SV01. Prusa slicing software.
Nov 09, 2020, 01:10 AM
Could you share your typical weights for each printed part for reference purposes ?
Nov 09, 2020, 01:26 AM
Heath
Yes, 0.8mm walls. I am using a .8 nozzle and a single wall.
Set the wall line count to 2 if you are using a .4 nozzle.
A single 0.4mm wall would be even lighter.

If the pod is double the weight that is going to help because it will balance out the extra tail weight.

Pod: 70g to 75g
TE hold down: 5g
Motor mount: 5g

Quick Reply