This thread is privately moderated by MCSGUY, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 21, 2019, 08:29 AM
ancora imparo

The new Mk II ESR meter

The new Mk II ESR meter is now available from Rick (rampman). $149 plus shipping.
Contact him at Rickdistler42@gmail.com

I have started a separate thread on it here so as not to clutter up Joe's thread.

John

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...FIRST-10-POSTS
to remove ads between posts
Jul 21, 2019, 09:03 AM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Ordered!

Jack
Jul 21, 2019, 09:08 AM
What would lonelasso do?
I'm a long time electric flyer and RCG member but only recently began paying close attention to this thread. I want to thank Joe and everyone for all the valuable data here. My number one criteria by far is cost so even the HK Graphene stuff is pricey from my perspective. I don't need the best performing packs, I'm happy when I can find a GOOD 6S 5000 pack for under $70 (and even happier when I can score one for around $50 like the Zippy compact 4500). I'm very interested to see how the Zippy and Rhino packs hold up in the new round of tests.
Jul 21, 2019, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfv61
I can score one for around $50 like the Zippy compact 4500). I'm very interested to see how the Zippy and Rhino packs hold up in the new round of tests.
Problem with the low cost packs are that they are hit or miss (a bit more variable quality than usual ... )
difficult to compare / test simply.

My tip is https://www.gearbest.com/battery/pp_009445262243.html

So far I've not been let down with GNB (ignore the shop).
Jul 21, 2019, 03:58 PM
User Registered
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOEY
Problem with the low cost packs are that they are hit or miss (a bit more variable quality than usual ... )
difficult to compare / test simply.

My tip is https://www.gearbest.com/battery/pp_009445262243.html

So far I've not been let down with GNB (ignore the shop).
Lol
Jul 21, 2019, 10:30 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Thread OP
I'm compiling a condensed 1 year Summary (actually just over 13 mos. but 1 year sounds better ) I was going to label it an Omnibus Summary, which technically it is however that sounded kinda pretentious so it's a 1 year summary now.

I'm focusing the information around the True C rating and the packs are listed according to weight, the heaviest being the first listed. When I get done I'll shoot the data over to Jack and he may decide to put together a ranking chart for us. It's coming together pretty well but since I'm pulling out the 50% voltage values I'm revisiting all the graphs and confirming my initial evaluations. Because of that I've changed my mind on the HobbyStar. Or more accurately the data/facts have changed my mind. I had classified it as a true 30C however after further review (I've always wanted to say that) it's really a 35C unit. I can't speak concerning the likely hood they would all come off the line that good, this is the first one I've ever tested. But IMO the cell matching is so good in this pack it pushed it fairly into the true 35C column.

Just thought I'd pass that on.

(BTW it does push the temperature boundary pretty hard at 35C)

Joe
Last edited by MCSGUY; Jul 21, 2019 at 10:36 PM.
Jul 21, 2019, 10:43 PM
Thank you very much for your attention to my post. It is greatly appreciated.!
I find that voltage drop during the type of flying I do is a very important parameter to the performance of a battery and I am very interested, Down right excited, to see the data you have.
This is the leading edge of our hobby right here.
Jul 22, 2019, 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF
I asked my factory about freezing lipos and they said freezing can crack the electrolyte and not to go below 40F if using a fridge.
A good fridge may be below 40F (4,44C°) if it's not opened frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF
Lipos degrade faster the warmer they get. So using a fridge in a hot climate makes sense and also for long term storage in a hot climate. But anything under 70F is a good temp for storage.
Ah I live in an ideal country for LIPo's (this summer) so far few days has been over 68F (20C°)
Jul 22, 2019, 01:38 AM
aka JetMan Joe
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604
I have started a separate thread on it here so as not to clutter up Joe's thread.
John

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...FIRST-10-POSTS
I’m sub’d in, that’s a great review! Makes a good instructional manual too.

Joe
Jul 22, 2019, 05:50 AM
I modified a fridge with a separate controller and the smallest space heater I could find to keep it at 65 degrees year round, out in my shed. I also charge out there.

I used this for the temperature control:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01HXM5UAC

It just turns the fridge on if it gets too warm, or the heater on if it gets too cold. The hard part was drilling a hole in the fridge for the power cord to the heater and temperature probe. (Had to avoid the coils, which were hidden. The hole was sealed with Great Stuff after running the cords through.)
Jul 22, 2019, 10:32 AM
ICM
ICM
I keep my lipos in the unfinished, unheated part of my basement. Temps range 52 - 58 degrees year round. Use a space heater to warm things up when charging. Works well.
Jul 22, 2019, 05:32 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Thread OP
Just completed the 25C tests on the HRB's and Lumenier. No surprises however I've added the mid point voltage tracking and it's pretty revealing as to the value of the heavier pack. It's just another example of price not being a real performance indicator

Joe
Jul 22, 2019, 05:45 PM
Pretty much what I had expected too, for the HRBs. The Lumenier actually did better than I expected.
Jul 23, 2019, 08:32 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Thread OP
Rhino and Zippy Compact 25C tests. Zippy's only 4500mah and the lightest (and least expensive) pack tested. It will be interesting to see how it does at 30C

Joe
Jul 23, 2019, 08:46 PM
UMX 3S OG
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSGUY
Just completed the 25C tests on the HRB's and Lumenier. No surprises however I've added the mid point voltage tracking and it's pretty revealing as to the value of the heavier pack. It's just another example of price not being a real performance indicator

Joe
Love you man! LOL
keep up the good fight!

Quick Reply