Dec 01, 2018, 08:37 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
I memory of our late "furry friend":

FullSpeedRC Leader 3 - Memorial Flight in honor of a special "furry friend" (2 min 21 sec)
Last edited by SoloProFan; Dec 01, 2018 at 09:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 01, 2018, 12:04 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Sorry to hear about your Guinea Pig, Henk. It's hard to lose a friend. But time heals all wounds. It will get easier as the days go by.
Dec 01, 2018, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
Sorry to hear about your Guinea Pig, Henk. It's hard to lose a friend. But time heals all wounds. It will get easier as the days go by.

Thanks for the kind words, Buzz. I know the first grief will pass and the happy times we had while she was here, will remain. Just this particular pet was closer to my heart than some others.

And I'm glad she didn't suffer for days by slowly deteriorating condition. She still had good health for her age, with just the occasional off-day, that every animal may have now and then. Apart from losing weight over the past years, which is normal for aging piggies, she was still as active and lively as in her younger days. Her hearing must have been still excellent, since she would always start to squeak when the refrigerator was opened, or she heard me picking cups and spoons for making coffee. At coffee time, we would always give our guinea pigs some leafs of veggies, which they would almost kill for, because they like it so much.

Good thing I also have plenty hobbies, and you guys, to prevent from dwelling too much on sad thoughts.

Btw, this song came to mind as I put our pet down on it's final resting place:

Depeche Mode Sibeling (3 min 18 sec)

Know this song from a CD single that I purchased during my high school days. Main song on the single was the song "Enjoy the Silence" which was a hit for Depeche Mode back then. The tune "Sibeling" was a bonus track. And even though I haven't listened to this single for years, the song is still very vivid in my memory.
Last edited by SoloProFan; Dec 01, 2018 at 03:13 PM.
Dec 01, 2018, 04:10 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
Thanks for the kind words, Buzz. I know the first grief will pass and the happy times we had while she was here, will remain. Just this particular pet was closer to my heart than some others.

And I'm glad she didn't suffer for days by slowly deteriorating condition. She still had good health for her age, with just the occasional off-day, that every animal may have now and then. Apart from losing weight over the past years, which is normal for aging piggies, she was still as active and lively as in her younger days. Her hearing must have been still excellent, since she would always start to squeak when the refrigerator was opened, or she heard me picking cups and spoons for making coffee. At coffee time, we would always give our guinea pigs some leafs of veggies, which they would almost kill for, because they like it so much.

Good thing I also have plenty hobbies, and you guys, to prevent from dwelling too much on sad thoughts.

Btw, this song came to mind as I put our pet down on it's final resting place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNoM4u_op3k

Know this song from a CD single that I purchased during my high school days. Main song on the single was the song "Enjoy the Silence" which was a hit for Depeche Mode back then. The tune "Sibeling" was a bonus track. And even though I haven't listened to this single for years, the song is still very vivid in my memory.
I have also had pets that that I've been closer to than others.

Depeche Mode was a favorite years ago. There was one song on my CD that was a favorite, but I can';t remember the name of it. I'll find it.
Dec 02, 2018, 12:47 AM
Quote:
I have also had pets that that I've been closer to than others.

Depeche Mode was a favorite years ago. There was one song on my CD that was a favorite, but I can';t remember the name of it. I'll find it.

Hope you do find the song, it must be a real special one, if it still comes to mind after such a long time, just like that bonus track did with me. It's been decades since I was in high school, and while I've always had little trouble getting solid grades, I was very shy back then, often getting bullied, and also struggling with the new emotions that come with growing up. And also, the CD was still much of a novelty, new albums were still being released on vinyl record, and compact cassete, CD was a luxury. I think enjoy the Silence may have been the first CD single I purchased from my pocket money.

These discs were very expensive back then too. You would pay 40 guilders (often 39.95, as that sounded less money) for a full album, which was often the same length as a record, 45 minutes max, and then if you were lucky, they added a few bonus tracks, like a remix of a hit, or some stuff that didn't make it to the album. A CD single would be 16 guilders, if a popular song, then, as the track dropped in the charts, prices would drop to 10 guilders, or if you were lucky, maybe even 7.50 guilders. For a disc containing 2 or 3 songs usually.

40 guilders back then would translate to about 18 euro, or 20 USD at current exhange rate. And then about 30 years ago, when you could buy much more for that amount. Imported CDs would be much cheaper, 20 to 25 guilders, so about 50% cheaper than in the Dutch record shops. For the same album, and no illegal copy, back then there were no CD writers. Priced were artificially kept high, because it was still considered more of a novelty, and the Dutch record importing business wanted to cash.
Dec 02, 2018, 11:54 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Quote:
Hope you do find the song, it must be a real special one, if it still comes to mind after such a long time, just like that bonus track did with me. It's been decades since I was in high school, and while I've always had little trouble getting solid grades, I was very shy back then, often getting bullied, and also struggling with the new emotions that come with growing up. And also, the CD was still much of a novelty, new albums were still being released on vinyl record, and compact cassete, CD was a luxury. I think enjoy the Silence may have been the first CD single I purchased from my pocket money.

These discs were very expensive back then too. You would pay 40 guilders (often 39.95, as that sounded less money) for a full album, which was often the same length as a record, 45 minutes max, and then if you were lucky, they added a few bonus tracks, like a remix of a hit, or some stuff that didn't make it to the album. A CD single would be 16 guilders, if a popular song, then, as the track dropped in the charts, prices would drop to 10 guilders, or if you were lucky, maybe even 7.50 guilders. For a disc containing 2 or 3 songs usually.

40 guilders back then would translate to about 18 euro, or 20 USD at current exhange rate. And then about 30 years ago, when you could buy much more for that amount. Imported CDs would be much cheaper, 20 to 25 guilders, so about 50% cheaper than in the Dutch record shops. For the same album, and no illegal copy, back then there were no CD writers. Priced were artificially kept high, because it was still considered more of a novelty, and the Dutch record importing business wanted to cash.
Well, I haven't found it yet. It would help if I could remember the name. Wow, that's big money for a CD.

Hey! I found it! "Your own personal Jesus" I know you remember this one.

Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus (Remastered Video) (3 min 46 sec)
Dec 02, 2018, 07:03 PM
I do remember that song. Somewhat peculiar song, which was more common for that era, it seems. I remember a tune a niece liked a lot, from The Cure, called lullaby:

The Cure - Lullaby (4 min 20 sec)

Freaky, but also interesting.

From around the same time, the wonderful voice of Kim Wilde. And years later, in this song with the German rock singer Nena, she shows she still has this amazing voice:

Nena And Kim Wilde - Anyplace Anywhere Anytime (2002) (HD) (3 min 45 sec)

This song is from an older album, maybe her best record ever, often listened this track as a teen before going to sleep:

Kim Wilde - European Soul (5 min 27 sec)
Dec 03, 2018, 02:45 PM
Everybody still drooling over Kim?
Dec 03, 2018, 02:56 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Quote:
Everybody still drooling over Kim?
I still am. lol The first video won't load.
The others are good, but I don't think I've heard of them. Good music!
Dec 03, 2018, 03:13 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Thread OP
Just was kind of running around here. Gerda wanted to go to Value Village yesterday. Took her there and let her shop.

This morning the power went off at 7 AM, came back on at 9:15. A transformer fire somewhere. Then to the lab for blood letting. Then this afternoon a rescheduled appointment for toe nail trims.
Dec 03, 2018, 03:45 PM
Quote:
I still am. lol The first video won't load.
The others are good, but I don't think I've heard of them. Good music!

I bet you had a poster of her on the ceiling over your bed, right? Maybe still have?

You mean you can't see the Cure video? Try searching for Lullaby by the Cure on Youtube.
Last edited by SoloProFan; Dec 03, 2018 at 04:08 PM.
Dec 03, 2018, 03:55 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Quote:
I bet you had a poster of here on the ceiling over your bed, right? Maybe still have?

You mean you can't see the Cure video? Try searching for Lullaby by the Cure on Youtube.
Nope. That link says "Video Unavailable. The uploader has not made this video available in your country"
Dec 03, 2018, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Nope. That link says "Video Unavailable. The uploader has not made this video available in your country"

Long live the internet censorship. Maybe if you try find another vid of the same song on Youtube, it's possible that if some other user uploaded it, you may be able to watch it.
Dec 04, 2018, 03:02 AM
Something really odd happened this morning. When I left home I heard the "Last Post" being played on trumpet, faintly in the distance. On the other edge of the agricultural field adjacent to our house, there are some public gardens. It seemed like someone had chosen that spot to practice playing the trumpet, without bothering neighbours and family members. The tune was a bit out of key at moments, but that wasn't the most remarkable about this event.

As in the Netherlands you are not allowed to bury dead animals in the woods or so, and our garden is mostly paved, we had no choice but to put our late pet in the green scraps trash container, were she was laid down on the wood shavings that we use as bedding in the Guinea Pig cage, and also some autumn leaves in the container as well, for covering the remains. And this morning was the day to put the containers on the sidewalk, for colection.

So hearing that attempt to play the "Last Post" in the distance, felt eerie and yet at the same time totally fitting.
Last edited by SoloProFan; Dec 04, 2018 at 04:59 AM.
Dec 04, 2018, 11:58 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Quote:
Something really odd happened this morning. When I left home I heard the "Last Post" being played on trumpet, faintly in the distance. On the other edge of the agricultural field adjacent to our house, there are some public gardens. It seemed like someone had chosen that spot to practice playing the trumpet, without bothering neighbours and family members. The tune was a bit out of key at moments, but that wasn't the most remarkable about this event.

As in the Netherlands you are not allowed to bury dead animals in the woods or so, and our garden is mostly paved, we had no choice but to put our late pet in the green scraps trash container, were she was laid down on the wood shavings that we use as bedding in the Guinea Pig cage, and also some autumn leaves in the container as well, for covering the remains. And this morning was the day to put the containers on the sidewalk, for colection.

So hearing that attempt to play the "Last Post" in the distance, felt eerie and yet at the same time totally fitting.
Weird timing. Why can't you bury dead animals? There's a graveyard of past pets on our property.

Quick Reply