Jun 11, 2018, 03:11 AM
Thread OP
@ Stew good luck

I hope I find some time this week....

Cheers Michael
to remove ads between posts
Jun 11, 2018, 04:21 PM
Thanks Michael. It is winter here so this is my winter project.

This looks to be one of Egor’s best kits so far - not too many little pieces.

I am trying a slow cure (4 hour) urethane glue which does not cure too hard and does not expand much which should make sanding a lot easier. Looks good so far. It will be a rebranded glue from Europe or America.
https://www.glueguru.co.nz/shop/BRAN...hane+Glue.html
Jun 14, 2018, 04:13 AM
So far this is the best kit of the 5 kits I have built. Nice thick pieces.

I was thinking of trying your parquet paint trick for the front half of the inside of the fuse. Do you think water based enamel paint would do the same job as the parquet paint?
Jun 15, 2018, 02:23 PM
Thread OP
Hi Stew

Not an easy question. Maybe you can do a test with a small piece of foam and your enamel paint? I really like my parquet paint, so I would go with that type of paint

BTW, Egor sent me some cut outs from the 3d model of the mirage. Now I'm able to design the landing gear mounts directly on the computer. I hope this saves me a lot of time. Otherwise I would have hours of adjustment... As soon as get something on the CAD I will post the progress .

Do you already think about the connection of the wing and the fuselage? I think you also build the Mirage with removable wings, right?

Cheers Michael
Jun 15, 2018, 11:22 PM
Hi Michael I have glued the fuselage in 6 pieces. I bought some water based parquet varnish and have used that to glue the glass cloth on the front sections same as you. I will use gorilla glue to glue the glass cloth in the center sections. Not sure about what to do inside the rear sections as they could get hot with the turbine exhaust tube passing through. May line with light aluminium. Once the glue has cured I will cut away all the inside ducting.

Yes I will make the wings removable. I will use a couple of carbon fibre spars passing through the fuselage.
Jun 15, 2018, 11:39 PM
A photo
Jun 17, 2018, 03:39 AM
Another photo
Jun 17, 2018, 02:53 PM
Thread OP
@ Stew

Looks nice Do you plan to use a steel thrust tube after the turbine? The heat from the turbine could be causing some issues with the foam Not sure if only glassing is enough. But I have absolutly no experience with this combination. I only fly EDF jets

I find some time to glue one half of the wing and the vertical stabilizer. I noticed that some holes in the wing have a displacement... But only in two segments. Not nice, but I can live with that

I also got the jetfan 120 Pro with the HET motor. I'm curious how much power this setup will provide
Jun 18, 2018, 02:03 AM
With the 120 pro and the 685 motor on 12 cells you should get over 8 kilos of thrust so your plane should fly well.

I only have a 6kg thrust turbine so mine will be a large jet trainer. Yes I will have a metal thrust tube. I checked my present turbine trainer plane in the weekend and it was not hot at the rear of the fuselage so I don't have to worry too much about heat. I just have to worry about weight.
Jun 20, 2018, 02:12 PM
Thread OP
It's time for an update I have glued all parts together. The wings and the vertical stabilizer are cutted to the right dimension. The next step will be some glassing inside of the fuselage, mainly the front area and maybe also in the tail.

Be aware, the holes for the retract mount in the wings are not according to Mr. UD's drawing. It's around 10cm too close to the front. You have to be careful, otherwise the landing gears position is wrong.

Cheers Michael
Last edited by buckker; Jun 21, 2018 at 03:15 AM.
Jun 21, 2018, 04:02 AM
Buckker,
Looks great and thanks for the notice on the gear position.
Jun 21, 2018, 04:56 AM
Well done Michael. Is the difference in retract position obvious? If not could you mark on the 3 view and take a photo please?

I have glued my fuse in 3 sections and will do sanding and filling before gluing them together then I'll start on my wing.
Jun 21, 2018, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewarti
Thanks Michael. It is winter here so this is my winter project.

This looks to be one of Egor’s best kits so far - not too many little pieces.

I am trying a slow cure (4 hour) urethane glue which does not cure too hard and does not expand much which should make sanding a lot easier. Looks good so far. It will be a rebranded glue from Europe or America.
https://www.glueguru.co.nz/shop/BRAN...hane+Glue.html

Hi stewarti, was wondering about the Woodlok glue your using. Does it sand better than Gorilla Glue ?

Thanks.
Jun 21, 2018, 12:18 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewarti
Well done Michael. Is the difference in retract position obvious? If not could you mark on the 3 view and take a photo please?

I have glued my fuse in 3 sections and will do sanding and filling before gluing them together then I'll start on my wing.
Hi Stew

Have a look at the picture from the wing. I tried to draw the correct position on one half of the wing. It's about 115mm displaced (too much to the front)
Jun 21, 2018, 02:03 PM
Thread OP
so, I'm a few steps further the nose area is glassed. I also add some balsa wood to the edge from the vertical stabilizer.

Quick Reply