This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 17, 2017, 10:54 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Discussion

JYU Hornet S firmware upgrade

When I reviewed the JYU Hornet S RTF quadcopter last summer, I lamented the lack of documentation and firmware updating software in English. I did find out that their customer service is excellent when the flight battery wouldn't connect with the charger. Kitty Zheng at JYU forwarded a new battery and charger and all is now well.

JYU is getting their act together with very good online documentation and, thankfully, some good software and new firmware updates. The key word is "getting" since the firmware updating procedures are not too well documented. I sure found that out when I went to upgrade the firmware in my model and transmitter much as I'd normally do in an open source program like Cleanflight. My Hornet went from one of the sweetest flying quads I own to something, well, not so nice.

The fun part? These here interwebs. I found a video on YouTube where a user followed the thread started by our own SeByDocKy which can be found here. By the way, SeBy also shared a way to make a wiring harness which allows the flight battery to be charged via a standard computerized charger. Although the original pack won't allow for balancing because of the internal issue, it charges just fine without balancing. So, I have two batteries!

It seems that unless things are followed in a certain (and seemingly undisclosed) order, the thing simply isn't going to work. This is where this video becomes invaluable:

JYU Hornet S - Firmware Upload, Calibration Procedure, and Parameter Update Instructional Video (8 min 23 sec)

I won't get into the nuts and bolts of the procedures, but suffice to say that the video does a stellar job of explaining the procedure and he credits SeByDocKy and RCGroups accordingly.

The first time I downloaded the JYU software and followed the video, I did something wrong and the Hornet was even worse. Reloading the firmware in both the transmitter and model and recalibrating the compass and transmitter sticks per the video did the trick.

For anyone upgrading firmware on his or her own Hornet, this video is an absolute must.
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Feb 17, 2017 at 11:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2017, 02:43 PM

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2836138-JYU-Hornet-S-firmware-upgrade

Im in southern calif, can someone perform the software install for me? I will pay shipping both ways and an additional $20
for the effort.. ridermom00 at yahoo is my email,, my yt name is anyshitt..
Mar 30, 2017, 09:15 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by I NEED A HELMET View Post
Im in southern calif, can someone perform the software install for me? I will pay shipping both ways and an additional $20
for the effort.. ridermom00 at yahoo is my email,, my yt name is anyshitt..
Hi!

I don't think offering up a very expensive model to someone is a particularly good idea. Just my two cents' worth. I'd hate to see you send it to someone looking to scam you out of your Hornet.

As the video shows, it isn't difficult to do the upgrade, provided you follow the instructions. I don't know why JYU made the procedure as convoluted as they did, but it is what it is and your Hornet will benefit from the upgrade. The software, a computer and a USB cable are all you'd need.

I'm certain that SeByDocky can help you with any issues and I'll do what I can to help as well.
Mar 31, 2017, 09:59 AM
Hi there , i followed exactly on the steps shown on video but it shows the firmware upgrade error . I'd tried restarting my pc , changing usb port/cable and yet it does appear the same error. Would like to seek your expertise advise on this. Thanks
Feb 03, 2018, 06:19 AM

Solved? "Firmware upgrade problem"

Hi

id you managed to solve this problem shown on screen? Mine is exactly the same.

Regards
Feb 03, 2018, 04:07 PM
Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I can't get mine to update either exactly the same issue as you were getting.
Apr 30, 2018, 12:16 AM
i joined this forum specifically to post to this thread. I figure the more people who complain about this issue the sooner someone may answer thee original posters question. you see I too am seeing the same error to a "T". I followed John Smiths instructional video to the letter . tried new USB Cable, different port, Iusing software version 2.3.3
May 05, 2018, 10:21 AM
SWE60

Firmware upgrade error

same for me, followed the steps to the letter, still firmware upgrade error, checked with 3 different Cables, restarted win10 several times......nope this does NOT work.
May 08, 2018, 02:12 PM
SWE60
? Any news?
Mar 02, 2019, 07:21 AM
Hello guys,

First time posting in this forum and the reason is that i also need help.

I just received my new hornet s gimbal version drone but i have some problems. One of them is that when i am pressing the upgrade button at the application i am just waiting and after a time appears the message that connection timed out.

I can't even find the versions of the firmware.

Did anyone solve your problem or experienced something like mine?

Thank you.
Apr 23, 2019, 09:26 PM
I have the same problem few months ago . The Jyu company is permanently closed, even the site isn't online anymore.
So you can't update your drone. In my case, my drone has a factory problem and the seller refunded my payment.
Jul 06, 2019, 08:14 AM
Hi guys I’ve just acquired a standard hornet s from a friend of mine recently and to the best of my knowledge has not had a firmware update. I have flown it a couple of times now and it seems to fly ok.
Is there any real advantage for updating the firmware ??
Hence the old saying “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”
Cheers ��
May 08, 2020, 05:44 PM

Firmware update impossible

Hi There can anybody help me to update my new hornet s now that jyu no longer support it . Greets Dirk

Quick Reply