Jul 11, 2016, 11:01 AM
Trader Rating: 170
Thread OP
Discussion

Increase of Shady sellers and selling tactics?!!! What do we do?

First off I know this will open up a can of worms. I'll lock the thread once it gets out of hand.

I have been a longtime lurker of this site, in the most recent months I've witnessed first hand how shady some sellers are.

1. Some sellers are listing items for sale that they don't own (many posts have been made where the seller states they are selling for a 'friend') -- one can understand how this is sometimes a good deed but should this be tolerated? A scammer can easily say "I'm selling this vehicle without a title that my grandpa gave to me in 1935". Do you think this is right?

2. A handful of sellers sell items out from under buyers. I have contacted a few people about items and first I agree to buy their items and ask for their paypal, next I ask questions to be sure of the condition and type of item I am purchasing. Usually I will purchase multiple items from a seller. During our pm exchanges, the seller will never once say "the item is sold", or "the item is pending sale". When I ask for paypal, I assume that they know I am serious/going to purchase the item. These recent sellers usually respond with "I'm sorry the item is sold". More times than not I have actually caught sellers who 'price gouge' -- they will list an item cheap -- have tons of pm's about it and say "oh someone else is offering me x amount over what is listed".

I've had some issues where my pm inbox was full and the sellers have sold the items to other buyers even though I made it known to them I wanted the item. I can understand this is my fault.

Sorry for my rambling, but this place is nowhere near what it used to be.

There is no place other than here to talk about this, we can't even leave feedback for sellers unless we transact with them.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 11, 2016, 11:33 AM
Trader Rating: 193
Go Gondos
Quote:
Originally Posted by upupupandaway
2. A handful of sellers sell items out from under buyers. I have contacted a few people about items and first I agree to buy their items and ask for their paypal, next I ask questions to be sure of the condition and type of item I am purchasing. Usually I will purchase multiple items from a seller. .
Well as a seller I'd say you're out of order asking for paypal first. First you should ask all questions, then when satisfied ask for payment info. Saying "I'll take it" is the new "Dibs" for many buyers, I don't play that game

When a guy says I'll take it,, then proceeds to start asking question, pretty much his "I'll take it" was just BS, I don't feel I have to give that person priority over other guys that might be ready to buy. Ask your questions first before you tell me you want it.. Too many times those guys are never to be heard from again after I answer their questions.

Now when a guy starts out saying," I'm interested but have a couple questions",, I'm happy to give that guy some time to make a decision.

But don't try and BS me with the I'll take it when you're really not sure yet
Jul 11, 2016, 12:02 PM
Thread OP
The problem with asking questions first is that you as a seller will move onto the first buyer regardless of answering the potential buyers questions.

Usually sellers post items like this:

4x 30a escs $5

I'll pm and say "I'll take it, but I have a few questions - Is it new? What is the model? can you verify they all work 100%" and a few lines down "Send your paypal info".

I have close to 100 feedback and probably 200+ transactions, I don't back out of transactions unless 1. the item is something other than what is stated i.e buyer lists very vague details 2. the buyer has questionable feedback.

I do sell alot too and I try to give a few things in my listings.

1. complete description
2. complete discretion
3. list of specs/features
4. convenient paypal buy it now link

and I also don't sell things I don't own.
Jul 11, 2016, 12:07 PM
Trader Rating: 193
Go Gondos
Quote:
"I'll take it, but I have a few questions - I,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Well that's much different than what you said at first,, much more like "I'm interested but have a couple questions",,

Even so,, if there is a "But" in there, you're not a committed buyer,, are you?
Jul 11, 2016, 12:28 PM
Trader Rating: 15
pǝʇɹǝʌuᴉ sɐʍ I ǝsnɐɔǝq
Quote:
Originally Posted by upupupandaway
1. Some sellers are listing items for sale that they don't own (many posts have been made where the seller states they are selling for a 'friend') -- one can understand how this is sometimes a good deed but should this be tolerated? A scammer can easily say "I'm selling this vehicle without a title that my grandpa gave to me in 1935". Do you think this is right?
I don't see a problem with this. If it really is a scam, why would the seller say anything about who actually owns it? He'd just list it for sale as his own.

You've gotta keep in mind, a lot of hobbyists are older folks who might not be the most computer-literate. So getting a friend who's more active on the forums to list it isn't all that uncommon, especially in tight-knit AMA clubs.

A couple weeks ago I bought a 42% plane that was "listed for a friend" on here. After talking to both the person who listed it via PM, and the actual owner over the phone, I drove out, paid in cash, and took home the plane, no scam at all.
Jul 11, 2016, 02:11 PM
Trader Rating: 248
BnG...
I think there is a factor in the equation that is missing in the selling process. Let's demonstrate:

Let's say I read an ad that says:

O.S. AX 55, runs, comes as shown,
$55 shipped CONUS." (Ask a question)
Last edited by balsa-n-glow; Jul 13, 2016 at 09:33 AM.
Jul 11, 2016, 02:13 PM
BnG...
Jul 11, 2016, 02:14 PM
BnG...
Jul 11, 2016, 02:15 PM
BnG...
Last edited by balsa-n-glow; Jul 13, 2016 at 09:34 AM.
Jul 11, 2016, 02:23 PM
BnG...
Ever see the advanced marketplace over there? Offers are done officially, and once you accept, it's a contract. Not so here. ,
No verified membership here.
(No age verification. It makes a difference.)
How does 14 year old Johnny have a paypal account, and can't get the box to UPS?
"Minor" is posted on that forum.
Last edited by balsa-n-glow; Jul 13, 2016 at 09:35 AM.
Jul 11, 2016, 02:29 PM
Trader Rating: 278
Happy Flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only
well as a seller i'd say you're out of order asking for paypal first. First you should ask all questions, then when satisfied ask for payment info. Saying "i'll take it" is the new "dibs" for many buyers, i don't play that game

when a guy says i'll take it,, then proceeds to start asking question, pretty much his "i'll take it" was just bs, i don't feel i have to give that person priority over other guys that might be ready to buy. Ask your questions first before you tell me you want it.. Too many times those guys are never to be heard from again after i answer their questions.

Now when a guy starts out saying," i'm interested but have a couple questions",, i'm happy to give that guy some time to make a decision.

But don't try and bs me with the i'll take it when you're really not sure yet
couldn't say it better myself!
Jul 11, 2016, 02:39 PM
BnG...
There is no selling policy or standard here, scale_only does his different, and that's fine, it works for him. Everyone makes up their own rules how a buyer is selected from those responding.
Last edited by balsa-n-glow; Jul 13, 2016 at 09:35 AM.
Jul 11, 2016, 02:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only
Well that's much different than what you said at first,, much more like "I'm interested but have a couple questions",,

Even so,, if there is a "But" in there, you're not a committed buyer,, are you?
Again, I have over 100 feedback, probably close to 400 purchases on here. Usually my pm's are - "give me your paypal, I'll take it", sometimes sent with an offer for the item as well.

Do you commit to ordering a meal at a restaurant without asking what is in it? (assuming its your first time ordering that specific meal?) or do you also go buy a car without asking questions?

9 times out of 10 people are not shady.
Jul 11, 2016, 03:31 PM
BnG...
Members on classifieds need to have some identity verification to sell here. Most other forums in any venue do this.
Last edited by balsa-n-glow; Jul 13, 2016 at 09:37 AM.
Jul 11, 2016, 03:37 PM
Thread OP
The problem is that they will never do that.

Quick Reply