Mar 25, 2016, 10:12 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Sig Kadet Senior

I have decided to build a Sig Senior Kadet as the aileron trainer for my wife, Joyce. She likes the design. At first the thought of scratch/plan building the stick-built model crossed my mind and a set of used plans were obtained this evening from a fellow RC flyer. As we were talking he mentioned that the Kadet Senior kit was available from Tower; I wasn't aware that the kit could still be ordered. When I checked online, there it was and it didn't take me long to place my order for the kit and, of course, some other items for the shop. The kit will arrive in a few days and the build will begin. The Sig Kadet Senior will have Elevator, Rudder, Ailerons and Throttle radio controls. The 78 inch wingspan model will have an O.S. .52 4 Stroke glow engine on the nose; a reliable engine that I really like. Joyce wants a Transparent Red finish on her model (at least for now ) so we'll go with that. The only real change I will make will be to configure the model as a taildragger instead of a tri-gear setup; floats may be a option later on, too. So, if anyone is interested in this Sig Kadet Senior kit build be sure and come around the 'ole hanger in a few days and see if there is any fresh balsa dust and balsa wood chips floating in the air.

Soft landings,

Joe
to remove ads between posts
Mar 25, 2016, 11:47 PM
Good choice, the senior is a sweet flyer.
Mar 26, 2016, 12:43 AM
I wish my wife would want to learn to fly. You are a lucky man.
Mar 26, 2016, 10:00 AM
Thread OP
Hi Mike and Paul, glad you stopped by the 'ole hanger. Yes the Kadet Senior (KS) is surely a great RC model. Years ago, when we lived in Alabama, I taught Joyce how to fly with a scratch/plan built Pacific Ace (an RCM plan - photos with my attachments). The wingspan was about 72" and was a 3 channel setup. She did a super job with that model. I finished a scratch/plan built Midwest Tri-Squire for her to fly this Spring (see my blog for photos) and the KS will be her introduction to ailerons. We are trying to encourage more ladies to join the fun of RC flying so perhaps this build log can help the cause in some small way. I hope so. Just last evening, while enjoying dinner out with friends, we encouraged two club member wives to try RC flying this year; one wasn't sure and the other was enthusiastic about the idea. We are off and running....

Soft landing,

Joe
Mar 26, 2016, 10:15 AM
Are ailerons standard on that model or that a mod you will make?
Mar 26, 2016, 10:29 AM
Thread OP
Hi Yoda, Well ailerons were not standard on the KS as I recall, however, when I ordered the kit from Tower last evening the technical description mentioned the correct amount of aileron throw to use. The plan was to add the ailerons to the build, but Sig may have already included the materials as an addendum to the plans/instructions. That would make sense to me seeing as many builders were adding the ailerons to the plane. Will have to wait and see what is in the kit box when it arrives next week.

Soft landings,

Joe
Mar 26, 2016, 01:55 PM
Thread OP
Today, I cleaned up the borrowed Kadet Senior kit plans and construction manual in case they will be used in this build. A few photos are presented showing the C. 1985 Kadet Senior kit release. Note the 2-3 channel radio callout; no ailerons are mentioned. It will be interesting to compare the old kit offering to the kit ordered from Tower Hobbies last evening that does mention ailerons. Oh, by the way, did I mention the Kadet Senior Biplane version that I flew while living in Alabama? Another club member built the KS that way and man...was it ever a slow moving thing in the air! The biplane version flew, barely, with only a .40 or .45 glow engine on the nose and it sure kept you on your toes when you were at the controls.

Soft landings,

Joe
Last edited by piperjoe; Mar 26, 2016 at 02:00 PM.
Mar 26, 2016, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperjoe
Hi Yoda, Well ailerons were not standard on the KS as I recall, however, when I ordered the kit from Tower last evening the technical description mentioned the correct amount of aileron throw to use. The plan was to add the ailerons to the build, but Sig may have already included the materials as an addendum to the plans/instructions. That would make sense to me seeing as many builders were adding the ailerons to the plane. Will have to wait and see what is in the kit box when it arrives next week.

Soft landings,

Joe
Makes sense. Sound like you are very comfortable and competent to add ailerons if they are not included in the kit. That is probably what I would do as well. Good luck and I will be following your build.
Mar 26, 2016, 02:04 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, Yoda. Hope to get started soon and look forward having you visit again.

Soft landings,

Joe
Mar 27, 2016, 08:59 AM
ARFs Are Me
My Kadet Senior modified into a tail dragger. It's an easy modification, as is adding ailerons.

You'll enjoy this project, I'm sure.
Mar 27, 2016, 09:30 AM
I'm fairly certain you'll have to add the ailerons. The manual they link to doesn't show them and they have not traditionally had ailerons. The Sig Kadet Seniorita I buit last year did not have them. I added barn door ailerons to mine and of course significantly reduced the dihedral.

Mike
Mar 27, 2016, 09:35 AM
ARFs Are Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCr
I'm fairly certain you'll have to add the ailerons. The manual they link to doesn't show them and they have not traditionally had ailerons. The Sig Kadet Seniorita I buit last year did not have them. I added barn door ailerons to mine and of course significantly reduced the dihedral.

Mike
I bought my kit in the Fall of 2014. At that time, it did not include instructions, plans, or parts, to add ailerons.

I belong to a couple Sig oriented threads, and have read nothing to suggest that anything has changed since then.
Mar 27, 2016, 10:27 AM
Thread OP
Mike, I've built two Senior planes and two Seniorita planes over the years and adding ailerons is no big deal at all. Kept the factory dihedral in some and reduced it in others; not a whole lot of difference in the arir because of the type of flying being done with those designs. Adding the ailerons, in this build, is strictly for Joyce, and, she did a great job with a tail dragger design as proven when flying her Pacific Ace. Then again, she does like those fancy wheels on the SIG box top ! Actually I'm hoping the Sig kit arrives packed just like the old kit was...just for the fun of it. Now, if I can only get her to let me have my turn with the Real Flight simulator...she likes flying the Seniorita around the "patch".

Soft landings,

Joe
Mar 27, 2016, 12:32 PM
pd1
pd1
That's great that you taught your wife to fly. I tried teaching my wife to fly a full sized plane, wasn't my best idea.
My dad built a pile of Senioritas and Kadet Seniors ,nice flyers.
Love to watch your build thread.

Paul
Mar 27, 2016, 01:38 PM
Thread OP
Hi Paul, you are indeed a brave man...you tried teaching your wife to fly a full size plane...and you were in it?!?! : Just kidding! Joyce and I have talked about getting a 1:1 plane and taking lessons; alas we are getting too old for all of our dreams. Stop on in at the 'ole hanger whenever you like and feel free to post some photos of your Dad's planes, too.

Soft landings,

Joe

Quick Reply