Jul 20, 2015, 05:10 PM
Thread OP
My pico moth is on the board as we speak,tail feathers fitted landing gear modified using thicker wire, and hopefully the 2805 motor will arrive very soon
to remove ads between posts
Jul 21, 2015, 03:17 AM
How do the Pico Moths do indoors Gordon? Is it the same kit as the original Moth from years ago (2005???)
cheers
Ratty
Jul 21, 2015, 07:57 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangar Rat
How do the Pico Moths do indoors Gordon? Is it the same kit as the original Moth from years ago (2005???)
cheers
Ratty
Before I placed the order for these PTMs I had a chat with Chen about them , the only available kits were the 280 motor versions , but he actually told me most people ditch the brushed motors and fit a small brushless set up ( I have just received an Emax 2805 which will be fitted this evening to the PTM I am building), but they are the same kits as the old ones only without the IPS motor /gearbox ... pretty little plane,I am enjoying putting it together and modifying things like the landing gear, using cocktail sticks as tailplane struts, and reinforcing the very flexible cabanes and struts using macdonalds coffee stirrers... just trying not to get too serious about the finish..... good for relieving stress I think. Hope to have it flyable by sunday for local model club open day
Last edited by gordynic; Jul 21, 2015 at 08:05 AM.
Jul 21, 2015, 11:23 AM
Thread OP
these are my pico moth build pics
first picture shows the 280 set up.... not really what I wanted
2 Emax 2805 and 1/8 ply bulkhead for a bit of strength
3 steel rule used to eyeball the tail feathers
4 using a spare GWS landing gear mount, thicker wire should be a lot stronger but has to get the front wires and cross wires fitted
5 struts and cabanes reinforced with coffee stirrers .....rigid
Sep 17, 2015, 08:37 AM
Thread OP
We are now back from vacation , and Mount Frost Imports is running again at full steam
I would like to thank Chen, for directing Herr Holgar Kuhn from near Berlin, Germany to our site he has bought a Cargotrans and a BN2 Islander which I hope he will enjoy building and flying. We had no idea that GWS kits were also so rare across Europe, but were surprised to learn how cheaply they could be posted from UK... Obviously if there was only one airplane in he parcel the costs would be unrealistic, however add a couple more kits and the price of about£18 including insurance( using MyHermes as the carrier) and it then becomes very viable indeed.

I have now finished the Pico Moth and would like to report , this is a very nice little aeroplane, as Chen said when I was enquiring about them , ditch the 280 brushed motor, use a small brushless , and carry out a few mods and you have a great plane the cabannes and struts need to be reinforced (mc donalds coffee stirrers) and I used a couple of cocktail sticks for the tail plane struts ,which really stiffens it up, also use them to replicate the front landing gear and use 1 inch wheels.... a brilliant relaxing slow flying model....why did it take me so long to get one myself?
Sep 23, 2015, 09:36 PM
Hi Gordon,

It's my pleasure ! I'm sure that you are the only one dealer who imports GWS kits in UK.
I'd expect your next order, and more as well.

Chen
Sep 30, 2015, 01:31 PM
Random Flier
Had been wondering what GWS model to get next. However my problem is that they are so robust... I still have all my original fleet except the GWS Broomstick (finally totally retired this week as I broke the hat / wing) and EasyStarter (retired the wing this week I'd been keeping for a rainy day). The EPS400 + 3S powered Spit came out of retirement for a flight the other weekend - still great. Still have 5 kits to built / fly though!

So my apologies to Gordon for not ordering anything yet - but good luck with the imports!
Sep 30, 2015, 02:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by isvana
Had been wondering what GWS model to get next. However my problem is that they are so robust... I still have all my original fleet except the GWS Broomstick (finally totally retired this week as I broke the hat / wing) and EasyStarter (retired the wing this week I'd been keeping for a rainy day). The EPS400 + 3S powered Spit came out of retirement for a flight the other weekend - still great. Still have 5 kits to built / fly though!

So my apologies to Gordon for not ordering anything yet - but good luck with the imports!
thanks for the kind words, the kits are selling well ( we sold both the skytrains this week and the cargotrans quads have been sold, all the others going in dribs and drabs ..... the weather has been so good here that everyone has been flying (except myself) and not building
A really bad bout of flu laid me pretty low for the last week or so, but now on the mend, but really annoyed that I missed out flying on the best weekend of the year up here
Dec 01, 2016, 03:25 PM
FLY PEMBREY (PFC)
wow , years after comenting this thread still seems to be going ...ish
Dec 01, 2016, 05:42 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by milky2971
wow , years after comenting this thread still seems to be going ...ish
and if you are interested ,I still have a couple of P40 SGs left for sale
Aug 04, 2019, 07:57 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Thought I'd kick the thread into life by saying that, scarcely believable, I've just acquired my second bnib spare Pico Moth. Moving swiftly over the ones I've trashed over the years that leaves me with one minus wings, one in flying condition (and regularly used) and two boxed kits. I've also got as bnib kits a Spitfire, an Me109, a Formosa 1 and a prop quadtrans and I'm just finishing a Zero. The GWS contingent of my actual flying fleet includs a P40, a Corsair, a P51 (Currently being re-engined with an outrunner). I've also got what I think may be the only quad ducted fan quadtrans in the UK. Never flown because I don't have a suitable take off runway and I don't have any confidence in the thrust of the four brushed fans to push it off grass or get it going quickly enough to survive a hand launch.

I notice Banggood are marketing what I strongly suspect as epo moulds from the GWS original Cargotrans T160 and maybe the P38.. If that is so will someone please ask them to find the original moulds for the BN2, the BN2J, the Corsair,the Pico Moth, the Beaver..... I miss
Sep 29, 2019, 02:20 PM
Random Flier
Ah yes, was just surveying my BNIB GWS fleet and got out a SlowStick to try and build as a simple travel plane... will check out the Banggood offerings though!
https://www.banggood.com/C-160-Cargo...r_warehouse=CN
https://www.banggood.com/MD-P38-1200...r_warehouse=CN
Sep 29, 2019, 10:27 PM
Proud to be a Belgian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by isvana
Ah yes, was just surveying my BNIB GWS fleet and got out a SlowStick to try and build as a simple travel plane... will check out the Banggood offerings though!
https://www.banggood.com/C-160-Cargo...r_warehouse=CN
https://www.banggood.com/MD-P38-1200...r_warehouse=CN
Ordered a C 160 Cargotrans two weeks ago and a P-38 just an hour ago, free shipping from EU warehouse to Belgium, even from UK warehouse. Hope to get the P-38 before brexit. Cargotrans arrived after 8 days.
Looking out for a long and cold winter.
Dec 30, 2019, 01:24 PM
Just a heads up - GWS is still alive, just smaller than they used to be.

If you all are interested in getting new GWS kits, please post up here and I will see if I can talk T9 Hobby Sport into carrying them for you, or another quality dealer in the UK. I had checked in with them a while back but they were not sure how popular the GWS line was in the UK. I had similar responses from German and CZ dealers we like to work with.

I do know we have been shipping Slow Stick kits to the UK and Australia on a regular basis, shipping gets very spendy. Would be best if I can team up with a dealer at the time of production to keep the shipping costs reasonable.

-Wayne

Quick Reply