Oct 30, 2014, 05:13 AM
Just another FPV addicted teen
Thread OP
Discussion

FR632 diversity 5.8GHz 32Ch

I just put my antenna tracker up for sale and was looking around for a Diversity RX. Stumbled upon this https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Receiver.html . Has anyone used this? If my tracker sells I'm going to get one. Or maybe just an eagle eyes.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2014, 06:23 AM
That looks amazing for the price. And to think i've just spend almost double that on two RC832's and a bunch of circuit boards to build my own diversity system that does the exact same thing only weighs 5 x as much and takes up 10 x as much space.
Oct 30, 2014, 06:58 AM
Thread OP
Yeah it does look pretty good. You just never know with a new product
Nov 11, 2014, 11:58 AM
I was looking to get this one
http://www.surveilzone.com/d58-2-duo...eceiver-ws1156
until I stumbled over the FR632
Nov 11, 2014, 12:48 PM
A man with too many toys
I am also looking for a diversity receiver and have the FR632 at the top of my list. I really like the push button channel selector much better than the old dipswitch design.

What re really need to know is the sensitivity of the receivers but none of the manufacturers list that? Has anyone done any bench tests to measure the sensitivity? That would be very useful information.

Nov 11, 2014, 02:18 PM
I read online that the immersion diversity stuff defiantly gives better range but there were no details on what the different setups were , antennas ect. I'm sure most would all want the immersion duo but don't want the price tag
Nov 11, 2014, 06:15 PM
Thread OP
My exact thought, the Duo looks really nice but I can't afford it. I decided to get an eagle eyes as I already have 2x VRX's
Nov 12, 2014, 03:57 AM
Drone operator & Photographer
I have this one, and it's very neatly built, doesn't get very hot either.

The auto-scan is very handy, though it doesn't always guess the correct frequency, but sometimes (rarely) stop on the channel before, if changing settings with the tx close to the rx.
Nov 12, 2014, 08:09 AM
Has anyone used it with immersion stuff? I have heard some of these 32channel ones don't work well with them, just not tuned on that part of the band specifically. I think I read that with the d58-2, I had mentioned earlier, can be used basically as 2 separate rx with 2 video out I.e. 2 people/aircraft with there own monitor or goggles. Anybody know if the fr632 will do anything like that?
Nov 12, 2014, 08:57 AM
Professional UAV Services
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHarbold
I read online that the immersion diversity stuff defiantly gives better range but there were no details on what the different setups were , antennas ect. I'm sure most would all want the immersion duo but don't want the price tag
Not sure where you read that but the Immersion Duo units are the worst of the worst when it comes to RX units, you are better licking you finger and sticking it in the air to get reception then you are using a Duo.

I don't understand why the units are so bad as they are meant to have the same Nextwave units in them that are in the fatshark goggles.... Suffice to say you will get significantly more range out of your fatshark goggles then you will out of the Duo diversity units which is really disappointing if you forked out the $140 for one. They have recently released a new version of the Duo, one would hope they may have addressed some of the issues with the unit (mainly the poor range) but considering they are now at version 4 I would not be gambling my money on anything having changed other than a increased priced tag.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
I am also looking for a diversity receiver and have the FR632 at the top of my list. I really like the push button channel selector much better than the old dipswitch design.

What re really need to know is the sensitivity of the receivers but none of the manufacturers list that? Has anyone done any bench tests to measure the sensitivity? That would be very useful information.
Sensitivity is -92dBm on these units, compared to the immersion units of -85dBm making these FR632 significantly better (more than 2 times the sensitivity) than the immersion receivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHarbold
Has anyone used it with immersion stuff? I have heard some of these 32channel ones don't work well with them, just not tuned on that part of the band specifically.
I think I read that with the d58-2, I had mentioned earlier, can be used basically as 2 separate rx with 2 video out I.e. 2 people/aircraft with there own monitor or goggles. Anybody know if the fr632 will do anything like that?
Pretty sure the "immersion band problem" is complete rubbish and just immersion trying to justify $150 for a diversity unit that is useless, just like what was being said when we started seeing other brands coming out with 32channel RX's. They were all said not to work properly with immersion vTX's which was shown to simply be rubbish. My couple of units are due to show up tomorrow so I will know for sure then, nothing has changed in this technology in decades so I doubt there is any issues with them as they are not newly designed RX units inside, rather they are simply 2 existing units that have been put together in the a box with a RSSI diversity switch on the video output.

These units allow you to take the video individually from each RX or via the diversity, but sadly no, you can't fly 2 aircraft and have both outputs coming from the one RX and feeding each aircrafts video signal to a separate monitor/goggles as you can only tune to the same frequency on each RX.
Last edited by Redemptioner; Nov 13, 2014 at 09:54 AM. Reason: cant fly 2 planes sadly
Nov 13, 2014, 02:30 AM
So I received my units today and put them through a bunch of tests.

Firstly, the rubbish about not working well with immersion vTX's or on the band immersion uses is just that, complete an utter rubbish. Even on a 60" TV I cannot see even the slightest change in colour or image quality going from the FR632 to the Fatshark Attitude receivers. I also tested all channels on all 4 bands with a couple of different 32channel vTX units and all channels are perfect on all of the vTX's.

Range
FR632 (using a 30db attenuator) compared to
- Duo (V2 & v3) is nearly 6 times (no surprise there as the IMRC receivers are overpriced paperweights.)
- Boscam TS832 is more than 4 times (expected, this receiver only performs marginally better than IMRC)
- Boscam RC805 is about 3 times
- Boscam RX5802 is about 3 times
- Boscam RC5808 is about 2.5
- AOMway (the current leader in RX's IMO) is almost identical, when using diversity the FR632 is marginally better, when only using a single side of the FR632 the AOMWay is marginally better. (based on the receiver details these appear to be the same receiver units inside, I will know more when I pull one apart tomorrow).

I stopped testing the other couple of RX's I have here after testing the AOMway as the FR632 was performing as good as the AOMway RX which is significantly better than any of the other RX's I have at hand. It will be interesting to see exactly what RX is inside of these things.

Diversity
When the diversity switches there is absolutely no picture change/flicker, in fact I had to setup a couple of monitors to the different output to make sure the unit was switching between receivers (the unit does indicate which receiver it is using on the LCD display). A+ for diversity

Channel Selection
This is a full 32 channel RX with the full 8 channels in each band (unlike many other receivers that only have 7 channels in each band where the top 2 channels are the same). Each channel is easily selected as well as the bands, there is an autoscan function which scans through all 32 channels which will sometimes get the wrong channel in the wrong band due to frequency being so close, simply click scan again and it gets the right channel. There is also some propaganda out there that the autoscan will start scanning again if the vTX's is tuned off or power is interrupted to the RX, this is also complete rubbish, once it has locked onto a channel it stays there, even after powering off.

Overall
The units are small, sensitivity is awesome and the price is also awesome, the power input is 6v to 28v so you can basically plug anything into this thing and have it power it, my only gripe is the LCD display is a little small, fortunately my eyes are still good so no issues there for me .

If you are looking to buy a new 5.8 receiver than this is hands down the only choice you should be making, buy a FR632 with confidence.

EDIT: One other gripe, you have to hit the power button every time you want to turn it on, so no "autopower-up" inside a ground station which is a pain (got rather frustrating actually)...
Last edited by Redemptioner; Nov 13, 2014 at 09:53 AM.
Nov 13, 2014, 06:19 AM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemptioner
So I received my units today and put them through a bunch of tests.

Firstly, the rubbish about not working well with immersion vTX's or on the band immersion uses is just that, complete an utter rubbish. Even on a 60" TV I cannot see even the slightest change in colour or image quality going from the FR632 to the Fatshark Attitude receivers. I also tested all channels on all 4 bands with a couple of different 32channel vTX units and all channels are perfect on all of the vTX's.

Range
FR632 (using a 30db attenuator) compared to
- Duo (V2 & v3) is nearly 6 times (no surprise there as the IMRC receivers are overpriced paperweights.)
- Boscam TS832 is more than 4 times (expected, this receiver only performs marginally better than IMRC)
- Boscam RC805 is about 3 times
- Boscam RX5802 is about 3 times
- Boscam RC5808 is about 2.5
- AOMway (the current leader in RX's) is almost identical, when using diversity the FR632 is marginally better, when only using a single side of the FR632 the AOMWay is marginally better. (based on the receiver details these appear to be the same receiver units inside, I will know more when I pull one apart tomorrow).

I stopped testing the other couple of RX's I have here after testing the AOMway as the FR632 was performing as good as the AOMway RX which is significantly better than any of the other RX's I have at hand. It will be interesting to see exactly what RX is inside of these things.

Diversity
When the diversity switches there is absolutely no picture change/flicker (unlike the DUO), in fact I had to setup a couple of monitors to the different output to make sure the unit was switching between receivers (the unit does indicate which receiver it is using on the LCD display). A+ for diversity

Channel Selection
This is a full 32 channel RX with the full 8 channels in each band (unlike many other receivers that only have 7 channels in each band where the top 2 channels are the same). Each channel is easily selected as well as the bands, there is an autoscan function which scans through all 32 channels which will sometimes get the wrong channel in the wrong band due to frequency being so close, simply click scan again and it gets the right channel. There is also some propaganda out there that the autoscan will start scanning again if the vTX's is tuned off or power is interrupted to the RX, this is also complete rubbish, once it has locked onto a channel it stays there, even after powering off.

Overall
The units are small, sensitivity is awesome and the price is also awesome, the power input is 6v to 28v so you can basically plug anything into this thing and have it power it, my only gripe is the LCD display is a little small, fortunately my eyes are still good so no issues there for me .

If you are looking to buy a new 5.8 receiver than this is hands down the only choice you should be making, buy a FR632 with confidence.

WOW I am impressed.
I will order one ASAP.
Thanks for the bench test info.

Has anyone found the best price?

Nov 13, 2014, 06:26 AM
Quote:
WOW I am impressed.
I will order one ASAP.
Thanks for the bench test info.

Has anyone found the best price?

So was I, I was expecting something of reasonable quality but was rather surprised to find that they were as good as the AOMway RX's.

Pricing is between $51 and $56 seems to be the going rate, not much variance around I can see in that pricing so just choose your favorite vendor, I recommend Himodel myself, not the cheapest at around $54 but seeing as they simply can't be beaten on customer service it worth the extra few dollars
Nov 13, 2014, 07:45 AM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemptioner
So was I, I was expecting something of reasonable quality but was rather surprised to find that they were as good as the AOMway RX's.

Pricing is between $51 and $56 seems to be the going rate, not much variance around I can see in that pricing so just choose your favorite vendor, I recommend Himodel myself, not the cheapest at around $54 but seeing as they simply can't be beaten on customer service it worth the extra few dollars

Yes for a top of the line diversity receiver that is a very good price. I really like the 32-channel design so it will be compatible with all transmitters. Although I do see that all the new transmitter designs are 32 channel.

Have you done any bench testing on 600mw transmitters?

Nov 13, 2014, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Yes for a top of the line diversity receiver that is a very good price. I really like the 32-channel design so it will be compatible with all transmitters. Although I do see that all the new transmitter designs are 32 channel.

Have you done any bench testing on 600mw transmitters?

Actually, just about all the 5.8 transmitters on the market are capabale of transmitting on the 32 channels, they are just locked to a particular band set for their branding. For example you can get the IMRC RF module in a larger band set from other vendors such as AOMway.

As for TX's, yeah spent a fair bit of cash and time trying to find TX's that were worth their salt, it was especially painful as my father spent plenty of time int he TV transmission world when he was younger and basically gave the me a bunch of crap about how poor the FPV transmitters are and how gullible hobbyist were accepting the poor quality (ie. noisey transmitters sending over such a wide frequency band for each channel). I wasn't looking for the longest range from them, rather I wanted to be able to put more than 3 people in the air and not have interference or range degradation. I finally found the flysight transmitters and although I was not happy about the price of them (too expensive I though at the time), after using them, well WOW, the manufacturer was right, they are worth the extra cost.

We can get 7 people in the air at once, no range degradation and no interference at all even with a 500mW unit on another channel right next to your receiver. As a bonus the range is better too, the 200mW units are getting further range than 600mW IMRC vTX. I know it sounds too good to be true, but buy the cheaper 200mW one and see for yourself.

I am no RF expert and don't know all the technical lingo but in my words when you look at the signal on a meter, instead of the usual bell curve look over most of the frequency channel and the spikes around it on adjacent channels that you get from every other vTX, what my friends and I refer to as the "daughter channel" (the other channel you nearly get a full image on and can't fly on with due to the massive interference), you just see a really tight spike and no "daughter channels".

In other words the vTX is transmitting a really tight signal which means no interference being spewed out on other channels. Best of all of all, due to the 32 channels you can get a lot more people in the air, keeping in mind there are a bunch of channels that are so close together (a couple of mhz) that you can never fly on those 2 channels at the same time. An "no", I have not setup 32 vTX's with 32 vRX's to see how many clear channels you can get I don't rate their RX's, but their vTX's are awesome especially when used in conjunction with a AOMway RX or better yet with the new FR632

Quick Reply