Aug 25, 2014, 08:28 PM
Quoth the raven, "Nevermore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy
Rob, I am assuming you secured the straws with a drop of CA?
And what is that black line that cuts through in a diagonal?
Lee
The CA didn't work so well, so I used some E6000. That black line is my 1.3gHz dipole antenna for the FPV Tx. =)
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2014, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipSnipe
Well I just got a Syma X1 this weekend, flew it for several charges and I guess I am spoiled from flying a WL Toys v262.

The Syma response on the stock controller is very laggy (you move the stick one way and a few milliseconds later the quad moves) and that was in high mode. The directions were garbage but then again the directions for the v262 were garbage. I see the Syma has a big following here but I am not impressed with it at all. The only good thing I can say compared to a v262 is that the Syma x1 is still flying without me having to go out and order a new motor for it.

I bought it really just to keep me on my toes while I am building my qav style quad copter. Maybe down the road I will try upgrading the motors on it or just give it to my kid until he breaks it.
Are you using the stock X1 TX? That could be your "laggy" problem. Most here use a better TX.
Aug 25, 2014, 09:19 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Thanks Rob. Now I understand. What a great thread for sharing info.
Lee
Aug 25, 2014, 09:24 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
ZipSnipe, I am still flying a stock X1. Stock tx and everything. I found it to be incredible compared to most copters I have flown. Sorry you see a lag...Lee
Aug 25, 2014, 09:35 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Thread OP
@ZS, Welcome to the X1 thread. I have flown laggy models, but I wouldn't described my X1 has one of them. I did find the X1 with the stock Tx a lot more tame than the WL models, but not lagging. Not sure why your sample is behaving like that.

I have the V262, but I really do not enjoy it. It is precisely the reason that I am into smaller Quads now. It is very unfortunate that my V262, V222, and V202 all have terrible dropout issues. I simply could not fly it more than 30 seconds without having to run after it. I have also heard of the horror stories about the V262 motors. But I don't have that problem, because I couldn't even keep it in the air long enough to overheat.

I traded my V222 with a V959. The V202 has the least of the dropouts among the V2x2 series. I still fly it once in a blue moon. Otherwise, my other micro Quads are a lot more enjoyable.
Aug 25, 2014, 10:00 PM
Thanx Heli,

Oh I am not really praising the v262, I think its motors are complete garbage. I do think the flight controller is fun. I looked at the Syma flight controller and it looks well built. But man the lag kills me. I had a choice between the Syma x1 and Hubsan x4, I went with the Syma because its closer to the qav 250 I am building and want to stay well practiced.

Yeah never had any drop out issues with the v262 and I flew it easy 400 to 500 feet away and it always came back and then the motor would burn out.

In fact I was wondering if I could stick the v262 FC in the Syma. But there is the voltage difference
Aug 25, 2014, 10:36 PM
Thread OP
@ZS, I'm not sure whether you are lucky or unlucky. Lucky, because you don't have any dropout issue with the V262. Unlucky, because you get to experience to the motor deaths. Like you said putting the V262 FC in the X1 might not be a good idea, because of the size and voltage. However, if you have no DO issues, perhaps you could buy a V222 FC, or even a V202 FC and stick it in the X1. That might gave you a nice 6 Axis flight.

The WL V2x2 protocol is dead to me. I'm not going to do anything more with them. The Hubsan X4 has its pluses and minuses. If you could get another radio for the X1, try that, you might quite like it. Some of us are flying our X1 with the 9X or the Devo Txs. The X1 is a great flyer with these radios.
Aug 25, 2014, 10:37 PM
hmmmm I found these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-LM317-D...item35dab5bd76

But then again I wonder if the v262 board could just run off 3.7 volts? Guess it wouldnt hurt to try
Aug 25, 2014, 10:51 PM
Thread OP
If your V262 motors have burned out and you have a good FC and Tx, I could see why you want to marry them with the X1. But if you need to spend money to step down the voltage, I'd rather spend the money to get a V222 FC, or to get a V959 Tx to control the X1. Because the V262 FC is oversize, adding regulator is extra weight. Not an elegant solution.
Aug 25, 2014, 11:40 PM

Electrical Calculation??

Hey guys, can one of you please check my math?

I flew my X1 for 12min 13sec and the battery took 569 mAh to charge full again, so...

0.569amps / 12.216 minutes * 60 = 2.795 amp hours ???

My X1 draws 2.8A??? Is that correct???

I did the reverse math to check:

My battery is rated 600mAh, so 0.6A / 2.8A draw = 0.214 hours * 60 = 12.84 minutes
Aug 26, 2014, 12:50 AM
Thread OP
Rob, your units might be a little bit confusing, but your math is generally correct. 2.8A is the average draw.

12+ minutes is a very long flight time. If your Lipo is rated for 600mAh, and you draw 569mAh out of it, you are drawing close to 95% capacity out of the cell. Conventional wisdom would argue that you shouldn't be over tapping the cell by drawing more than 80%. I usually find that too conservative. But I'll just point that out for your benefits and consideration. If you were to observe the 80% Rule, then you shouldn't draw more than 480mAh from the 600mAh cell. Dividing by the average draw of 2.8A, you should limit your flight time to 10 minutes. What you do is up to you.
Aug 26, 2014, 05:16 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
How sure are you Rob, that you put 569nah back into that battery?
Lee
Aug 26, 2014, 09:34 AM
s'like freakin' NASA in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob215
The CA didn't work so well, so I used some E6000. That black line is my 1.3gHz dipole antenna for the FPV Tx. =)
Just regular straws, huh?

I got my transmitter, 100mah batteries, 5.8ghz receiver, diy usb plugs, and usb vid capture stick in.

I just need to sit down and solder it all together. Hopefully will be able to by this weekend.
Aug 26, 2014, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad
Rob, your units might be a little bit confusing, but your math is generally correct. 2.8A is the average draw.

12+ minutes is a very long flight time. If your Lipo is rated for 600mAh, and you draw 569mAh out of it, you are drawing close to 95% capacity out of the cell. Conventional wisdom would argue that you shouldn't be over tapping the cell by drawing more than 80%. I usually find that too conservative. But I'll just point that out for your benefits and consideration. If you were to observe the 80% Rule, then you shouldn't draw more than 480mAh from the 600mAh cell. Dividing by the average draw of 2.8A, you should limit your flight time to 10 minutes. What you do is up to you.
As always, thanks for the feedback HP! I understand the 80% rule. I know you should never discharge a battery completely or you will damage it. I posted my numbers because I'm a little confused by them. I've always flown until the quad shuts itself down automatically. I did at least 100 flights with my original X1 before I even started measuring voltage and flight times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy
How sure are you Rob, that you put 569nah back into that battery?
Lee
I'm not sure at all. I bought a Traxxas EZ Peak Plus charger and that's the number it displayed once it had charged the battery. Moments ago, I did another flight with a different battery and my flight time was 11:24. Both the X1 and nQX boards do an automatic shutdown when the battery reaches 3.6 volts. I've checked the voltage after the last couple of flights and its been 3.6v.

Isn't it safe to fly until 3.6 volts? My original purpose for flying and modifying the X1 is the same- to learn as much as possible with these little quads before building and flying bigger ones. If I can do something better, I appreciate all feedback.

Here's some additional info:

The batteries are Lectron PRO 600mAh 35C lipos. They say 2C charge rate. I've been charging them at 0.9A with the Traxxas because I figured that was conservative. (2C would be 1.2A right?) The Traxxas starts off charging at 0.9A, then the current drops as the voltage reaches 4.2.
Aug 26, 2014, 03:17 PM
OK v262 FC mounted on the Syma X1, with the 3.7 battery , the board lit up but motors wouldn't spin. For laugh and giggles I said why not lets hook up the 7.4, waaala it flies for about 2 minutes and motors burned out.
I knew it would I considered the x1 unflyable period so experimentation was called for.

So I decided the v262 FC will stay on the x1 frame for now and I will look for a lil bigger motor(7.4) that I can mount on it.

Quick Reply