Jul 31, 2014, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDovi
I got bored again -
Really sweet looking frame. Must have killed an afternoon doing it. Nice work.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 31, 2014, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier
stuart, there is a hakko soldering station clone at HobbyKing you should check out: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...240&aff=421628 . I have one and like it, have had no problems with it. There is also a thread about it: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1722684 . I think I ordered some extra tips for it from Banggood a while back and they work well too. Hope this helps.
So, I was about to get one of these, but it's $17 and change and $11 for shipping plus 2.93% if I want to use a non paypal option. LOL, I mean it's not the money as much as the principle, and sure it's money too otherwise why would I even be looking at a 17 dollar soldering station. What is wrong with HK. No need to answer as I've read other threads.

Anyway, I appreciate your suggestion. Guess I'll hold till I put in a bigger order.
Jul 31, 2014, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpv2012
The hubsan h107c uses 8x20mm motors for more power to carry the camera. I don't want one though. I use my v222 for blind video xD the h107d looks nice but to rich for my blood currently. And I wouldn't mind a Nqx or 1sq board but I can't find a cheap 9x. But I already have a hubsan transmitter and 2 quads that it can instantly bind with... and yes, that dog will never touch my quads again!
Ah gotcha! That makes sense about bigger motors to haul more gear..
The v222 you have would probably work better for video anyways..
It's bigger and smoother for sure..
Yeah, those 107s are too rich for my blood too.. Fun to look at though.

9X TXs.. I hear ya.. but keep your eyes on the ads in the classifieds on here..
they do pop up from time to time..

Hubasn TX - good deal..
If you have more than one hubsan craft [or fc] that's the way to go!
Jul 31, 2014, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy
No dogs to worry about here. But, my cats love to chew on rotors. hahahaha

Sam, I am almost done mounting my nqx board. Almost went with a octo design. Decided against it though. I just have to solder the motor leads and I am done. Decided to mount my nqx FC on the bottom where the battery would go. Your my inspiration. hahahaha
Your builds are awesome. Happy Flyin.
Lee
Lee, that's great! You're going to love it!
Ahh the octo! I saw a guy named Martin do an octo using Hubsan stuff.. Pretty cool..
You're better off with a quad though - Less parts to break. haha
Nice idea to do the FC bottom-slung.. The new setup may improve the center of gravity too!

Hey thanks a bunch bro! I'm glad that you enjoy the builds!
If I could, I'd keep busy doing them every day! *Thumbs Up*
Jul 31, 2014, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4_Props
I would love to see what you could do with a 3D printer.
Ah man.. I would be unstoppable if I had a 3D printer..
Especially one that 'prints' metal or carbon fiber!

Here's a frame that I whipped up to practice cad in Google SketchUp -

Google SketchUp Mini H Quad Design (0 min 40 sec)

A printer would be great to make that thing come alive..
Jul 31, 2014, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpv2012
Had my first bad crash with my x1 about 15 minutes ago. Landed in my neighbors yard and the prop/gear housing came off and my motor was hanging out of the tube arm... so glad the motor wires didn't break. But everything just snapped back into place and she flies yet again. This 3 axis stuff feels weird
Aw bummer!
Glad to hear that your quad is back in action!
When we luck out - These things sure do take a serious beating!

3-axis vs. 6-axis

The X1 is 3 and the nQX is 6
When I flew them back to back, it was hard for me to tell the difference..

When I flew the nQX in 3-axis mode - Wow.. day and night..
It made the X1 feel like a 6-axis!

The Heli Max X1 is another 3-axis quad..
I learned more piloting skills with that one that any of the others..

It will either make you a better pilot,
or it will make you pick up the pieces. haha
Jul 31, 2014, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartambient
Really sweet looking frame. Must have killed an afternoon doing it. Nice work.
Thanks a bunch Stu! =)

You betcha.. I killed an afternoon, night,
and then another on/off afternoon and night..
Well worth it.. It was a fun build!
Jul 31, 2014, 11:47 AM
Quote:
So, I was about to get one of these, but it's $17 and change and $11 for shipping plus 2.93% if I want to use a non paypal option. LOL, I mean it's not the money as much as the principle, and sure it's money too otherwise why would I even be looking at a 17 dollar soldering station. What is wrong with HK. No need to answer as I've read other threads.

Anyway, I appreciate your suggestion. Guess I'll hold till I put in a bigger order.
Haha Yup, that's HK for ya!

When my Weller iron kicked the bucket,
my folks wanted to get me a new one for my b-day..
I went with one of those HK [HAKKO knock-off] soldering stations instead..

I can say that in the the year that I've had it, it's been fantastic!
Yup, and el'cheapo knock-off.. I had to try it to see, and I was pleasantly surprised..

The OEM tip they send with it is horrendous..
You might be able to burn your finger if you're lucky..

I hit up RadioShack, and grabbed their brand tip for their soldering station,
and it fit.. Its soldered thousands of wires / connections!

The main thread about this gem - :P

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1722684
Jul 31, 2014, 11:58 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Thread OP
Quote:

And when you do, this will be OOS, LOL! Buying at HK is always a crapshoot. Either the thing you want is not available, or it is available at the warehouse that costs the most to ship.

As a matter of fact, I used to recommend their Hakko knock-off in post #2, because even after their ridiculous shipping cost, the total is still less than a real Hakko. But you also have to consider replacement parts compatibility. The knock-off uses different components than the original Hakko. Some parts, you might be able to find replacement. Others, you can't. It is the same old story of the SYMA S107G helicopter. Their is nothing wrong about how the Fake ones fly. It's just when you need replacement parts that you might get stuck. So, like I am recommending the real S107Gs, I think you ought to think about paying a little bit more for the real McCoy. But the choice is yours to make.
Jul 31, 2014, 12:08 PM
HP, I totally agree!
As much as I like the little knock-off,
I'm looking into either an authentic Hakko or Weller..
Personally, I've had iffy luck with Weller in the past,
so at this point, I'm leaning towards a Hakko..

Either that, or go cheap again,
and for the same price - Shoot for a complete re-work station..

Choices Choices . . .
Jul 31, 2014, 12:10 PM
Rework-Station:

http://www.amazon.com/Kendal-REWORK-...dering+station

More expensive than the knock-off Hakko,
but in the same price range as the real Hakko / Weller soldering stations,
PLUS the added benefit of having hot-air..

*Shrug*
Jul 31, 2014, 12:17 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
I lucked out when I got my weller station. Guy thought it was junk and just let me have it. hahahaha. The wire needed fixing and the tip needed some love. And now I have a new tip for it. So, I am a happy camper. haha

So, I powered up the x1/nqx this morning. I was just gonna check for motor polarity ya know. haha. The props all spun the correct way. Of course, I had all ready changed the booms around. Sat it on the flloor like a dummy. And lifted it off. Let's see, throttle stuck, thought elevator was backward, slammed it into the door. hahahahaha

Why did this all happen ya ask? Because I was just checking polarity!!! The FC wasn't even mounted yet, let alone secure. Nor was the battery. Poor gyro tryin to compensate for all of that. No wonder it went full throttle and tried to level into the door. haha

So I desoldered everything. Took off all the booms and rotated them 180*. End result...the battery holder will be on top. The FC will be in the center on bottom. Landing gear and all is normal. Should be a winner (I hope). Cept, ya have to take the fuse off to plug in the battery. hahaha

Lee
Jul 31, 2014, 12:21 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Dang you Sam!!! Now I am drooling for that Kendal rework station. Arrrrrggggghhhhhhf
Jul 31, 2014, 12:25 PM
Hahaha Lee, I'm dying over here..
That's great! It sounds like you got so excited,
that you got a little ahead of yourself..

At least everything is cool, and you can laugh it off..
Keep at it, and next time, maybe do a pre-fight-check?! haha

Aw man, i hear ya..
I've been wanting a rework station for so long..

I shouldn't have posted that..
Now we'll both keep thinking about it.. :P
Jul 31, 2014, 12:31 PM
Hopeless Quad/Heli addict
Quote:
I got bored again -
Nice job on the frame DD! I liked the video too, though I must say I was distracted by that awesome cover of the Back to the Future theme. I had to go to Youtube and see who did that. Never heard of that guy, but he's amazing. That arrangement reminded me of something Steve Vai would come up with (if anyone else knows who he is...sorry...my other expensive hobby )

That thing has pretty good reviews. For that price, if it's halfway decent, it's a steal for a rework station with hot air. I may just get one myself. Thanks for posting that.

Quick Reply