Sep 15, 2013, 09:45 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Mini cub busted in midair with video...should I buy a champ?

Like what the title says, my mini cub just failed in mid air due to such low quality. i am considering buying a champ at my local hobby store. should I buy a champ or any other 3 channel plane? Video here:

Hobbyzone Mini Super Cub busted in midair - Engine FAIL (0 min 55 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2013, 09:47 PM
DFS#000178
Buy a Delta Ray.
Sep 15, 2013, 09:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
Buy a Delta Ray.
I will consider. Thanks for the feedback!
Sep 15, 2013, 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoeingDreamliner
Like what the title says, my mini cub just failed in mid air due to such low quality. i am considering buying a champ at my local hobby store. should I buy a champ or any other 3 channel plane? Video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc3hK...ature=youtu.be
either the Champ or the DeltaRay, also there is a new plane on the block the Duet for 59.00 with proprietary tx. Blahh... Depends on your budget. And yes.. I had the mini super cub and quickly got rid of it for a Champ. Now I have 2 Champs because they are so easy to fly I take 2 so someone else can learn the hobby as I buzz mine around them.
Sep 15, 2013, 11:31 PM
Why do you say the plane failed? Just curious. No offense, but did you have that plane at full throttle all the time? It sure looked like it. What was the wind speed? What I hear blowing over the mic on the camera sounds substantial for a beginner.

I'm pretty much a beginner myself. I started a couple of months ago with an Apprentice 15e (the older version without SAFE) and frankly much of your flying in the video reminds me on my first couple of attempts. I had a LOT of simulator time on the Phoenix 4 sim before I even tried the real Apprentice and still had plenty of excitement. I flew in too much wind without an instructor and over-controlled which resulted in the plane acting like a bucking bronco. I'd intend to do one thing and it seemed the plane had other ideas. There was a lot of diving and swooping. I was luckier than you and got the plane down in one piece that first few times. I credit that mostly to having gotten enough altitude between the plane and the ground to allow me two mistakes before I hit terra firma. Again, I mean no offense but you let the plane get way too low. Did you have time to adjust the trims once in flight?

I later got a micro Champ by Hobby Zone. Lots of fun to fly when there isn't much wind. I usually fly it first thing in the morning before local winds build. I still have to co-ordinate rudder turns with up elevator or the plane dives for the deck instantly. I call it my warm up. It could serve you well but keep in mind that its flight characteristics aren't that much different than your current plane except that being smaller it will be more effected by the wind.

Learning to fly RC is a challenge. It looks easy until the transmitter box is in your hands. A good simulator like the Phoenix 4 is a great aid to learning stick control inputs. If at all possible I suggest you find an instructor to buddy box on your first couple of flights. It will prevent you from spending a lot of money on new planes and time spent repairing broken styrofoam. Can that Cub be repaired? That would be the cheapest solution.

Most importantly, don't give up. You can do this. It's not as easy as it looks or even as easy as the manufacturers would like for you to believe but it can be done. Keep in mind the old pilot's truth that "There's nothing more useless than runway behind you and altitude above you." Do your learning a couple of mistakes high. And don't fly at full throttle.

Storm
Last edited by Stormrider51; Sep 16, 2013 at 07:42 AM.
Sep 15, 2013, 11:39 PM
Closed Account
How hard was the wind when you were flying. The mic made the wind sound to hard for any micro to fly good.
Sep 15, 2013, 11:53 PM
www.scotiarc.co.uk - OMP Helis
I just watched the video and it looked like you were out of control most of the time, you almost crashed a few times during the flight. I didnt see any obvious in-flight failure. It just looked like you got into a tight spiral dive and didnt know how to recover. I'd guess were just pulling 'up' on the elevator which would only make things worse. In summary it looked 100% like pilot error.

So what makes you think there was any in flight failure of the model?

My advise would be to fix it and next time thottle back to a slow cruise speed and use much more gentle control inputs. You were being much too aggressive on the controls, you just need tiny movements on the stick.
Sep 16, 2013, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer
I just watched the video and it looked like you were out of control most of the time, you almost crashed a few times during the flight. I didnt see any obvious in-flight failure. It just looked like you got into a tight spiral dive and didnt know how to recover. I'd guess were just pulling 'up' on the elevator which would only make things worse. In summary it looked 100% like pilot error.

So what makes you think there was any in flight failure of the model?

My advise would be to fix it and next time thottle back to a slow cruise speed and use much more gentle control inputs. You were being much too aggressive on the controls, you just need tiny movements on the stick.
Yep, the plane was pretty much flying you instead of the other way around.
Sep 16, 2013, 03:03 AM
NCFR !!!
Funny

Watching the video i thought the same. Full throttle the whole time, very windy, and mostly out of control. Saw no failure either. hmmm....

by the way, if you pull back on the left stick it'll slow down..!!!

OK, just pokin fun at you. The Apprentice or DeltaRay would be good choices. Possibly a Champ on a CALM day.
Sep 16, 2013, 09:10 AM
Thread OP
Anymore beginner 3 channel planes?
Sep 16, 2013, 09:21 AM
If I was just starting to learn I'd go with either the Delta Ray or the Stratos Firebird. Both are cool looking planes imho.
Sep 16, 2013, 09:43 AM
You have received a lot of good advice here. I suggest that you do the following:
1) Consider spending some time on a simulator. It won't replace real flight experience, but it will give you a little more confidence in operating the controls.
2) Go to the sticky at the top of this forum called "Six Keys to Success". Read, study and memorize the recommendations from AEAJR.

Either repair your mini-SC or buy another (better) beginner plane and go have some fun. Currently, the best beginner planes are:
- HobbyZone Delta Ray
- HobbyZone SuperCub
- HobbyZone Champ
- HobbyZone Stratos
- E-flite Apprentice
- Multiplex EasyStar
Sep 16, 2013, 10:04 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoeingDreamliner
Anymore beginner 3 channel planes?
If you are willing to assemble ( easily ) a plane , try the EzFly from Fancy Foam . In my opinion , it's the best trainer available . Made from EPP foam so it's tough , when properly balanced and trimmed it's SUPER stable ( let go of the right stick and it returns to straight level flight by itself ) , and the motor/prop are protected from nose first " landings " . I use low temp hot glue to assemble mine .

http://www.fancyfoam.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=309

All the electronics you'll need are listed underneath the plane on that page .

Al

Here's mine ( home made )

144 gram EZfly RC plane (3 min 34 sec)
Sep 16, 2013, 10:34 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo L
You have received a lot of good advice here. I suggest that you do the following:
1) Consider spending some time on a simulator. It won't replace real flight experience, but it will give you a little more confidence in operating the controls.
2) Go to the sticky at the top of this forum called "Six Keys to Success". Read, study and memorize the recommendations from AEAJR.

Either repair your mini-SC or buy another (better) beginner plane and go have some fun. Currently, the best beginner planes are:
- HobbyZone Delta Ray
- HobbyZone SuperCub
- HobbyZone Champ
- HobbyZone Stratos
- E-flite Apprentice
- Multiplex EasyStar
Thanks. I have already read all the tips and now considering buying a hobbyzone stratos. you get free shipping and an extra 1300 mah battery for 6 bucks from hobbyzone.com
Sep 16, 2013, 10:58 AM
Doesn't matter what you choose for your next plane. You will crash it just like you crashed the mini cub.

We all crash when we are learning how to fly. Get a plane that is easy to repair and parts are readily available.

Quick Reply