Aug 04, 2013, 06:15 AM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
Brilliant idea using a jet fuselage

There are a lot of posts on the beginner forum of newbies longing for a jet and being turned off by the looks of the champ and super cub, which are great planes by the way. This plane definitely has the WOW factor they seek.

What else do beginners want; ailerons! I love my Super Cub but I can't do rolls with it. This plane can do rolls right out of the box, not that a beginner would use that ability right away.

Newbies flying 3 channel planes are also looked down on by some as not flying a real plane. You sometimes see this attitude in the forums or at the air field. I felt quite intimidated flying my Super Cub at events. Not a problem with this plane.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 05, 2013, 02:15 PM
I too love the looks of this plane. I would really like to see a bigger version come out someday that has brushless motors and retracts. I love the twin motors and the looks.
Aug 06, 2013, 10:20 PM
Valiant Poultry
Well, after flying...and crashing...my Archer today, I can definitely say I wish that it had SAFE technology on it!!!

I wish the Delta Ray were out now. I'd snag one in a heartbeat.
Aug 06, 2013, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpdiggity
Well, after flying...and crashing...my Archer today, I can definitely say I wish that it had SAFE technology on it!!!

I wish the Delta Ray were out now. I'd snag one in a heartbeat.
Ouch! I figured you had that Archer down and ready after your practice on the Stratos. Just goes to show all planes don't fly like you want them to...Believe me I know. Keep your head up..repair. And refly. Good Luck..
Aug 06, 2013, 10:44 PM
Valiant Poultry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginohio
Ouch! I figured you had that Archer down and ready after your practice on the Stratos. Just goes to show all planes don't fly like you want them to...Believe me I know. Keep your head up..repair. And refly. Good Luck..
I thought I would have had it down, too. I went into the flight full of confidence, and came out completely deflated!!!

The worst part about it is I can't for the life of me reconstruct what happened. It was going along, I banked it to bring it back towards me, gave it a bit of throttle and it climbed more than I expected, then it just went into a nose dive. No amount of elevator would bring it out, so I was lucky to get it fairly level when it went in. It ended up damaging the nose cowl, cracking the prop, and cracking the wing.

I've got a new cowl and prop on the way, and I got the cracked wing glued/taped and all repaired up. It's basically as good as new, other than the fact that the bottom of the wing is covered in packing tape.

The ONLY thing I can think of is the plane hit some turbulence and I wasn't carrying enough speed (but I really thought I was going plenty fast) and it went into a stall that I wasn't able to recover from.

Oh well, it's just waiting on the prop and cowl and it should be good to go again. I think that next time I fly it I'll make sure it is DEAD CALM. Tonight there was a breeze, very light, but still there.

That, or I'll just get this Delta Ray, and wait to fly the Archer again until after I've gotten used to the Delta Ray!!!
Aug 07, 2013, 01:45 PM
Pro Bro ozzy
subscripted
Aug 07, 2013, 10:13 PM
You guys would not get disappointed of this plane......Delta Ray is special.....it is not because it is my design!...but I truly think it is a great airplane!........I am very proud of the final result. Our SAFE technology in combination with carefully study airframe makes the Delta Ray a perfect plane for newbies (teach your self to fly). In top, the wide flight envelope provided by the airframe and enhance by SAFE allow the pilot to grow with the plane and advance to higher skill.......an Intermediate or even experience pilot will have a lot of fun with this plane.
In few words I have to say this is the dreamed beginner airplane, carefully study all details that a beginner would need to make his experience the most successful and a plane that with a flip of a switch (SAFE) will take you to the next level.
I read a comment about Stratos and Delta Ray having similar shape style......I am glad that was observe because that was the intention, different platform but from same family.
Thanks.

Quique Somenzini
Horizon Hobby
Aug 07, 2013, 10:27 PM
Mr Somenzini

I have to say its a very fine aircraft. I'm a OK pilot and I really would love to see it added to my fleet as the first delta. I really, really, really appreciate the system as a whole, I do, but is there -Any -way to market your design for folks who are experienced and who are interested in a brushless set up? I'm respectively asking with best regards. sir
Thanks*
Aug 07, 2013, 10:53 PM
Valiant Poultry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quique Somenzini
You guys would not get disappointed of this plane......Delta Ray is special.....it is not because it is my design!...but I truly think it is a great airplane!........I am very proud of the final result. Our SAFE technology in combination with carefully study airframe makes the Delta Ray a perfect plane for newbies (teach your self to fly). In top, the wide flight envelope provided by the airframe and enhance by SAFE allow the pilot to grow with the plane and advance to higher skill.......an Intermediate or even experience pilot will have a lot of fun with this plane.
In few words I have to say this is the dreamed beginner airplane, carefully study all details that a beginner would need to make his experience the most successful and a plane that with a flip of a switch (SAFE) will take you to the next level.
I read a comment about Stratos and Delta Ray having similar shape style......I am glad that was observe because that was the intention, different platform but from same family.
Thanks.

Quique Somenzini
Horizon Hobby

It's nice to see you post in this thread!!! I'm extremely grateful for the work you have put in with Horizon on the Firebird Stratos...without it, my dream of learning to fly an RC plane would probably have never been able to come true.

Now there's a similar plane with SAFE and four channels, and it seems like it's just going to be a great step forward for me.

I tried my hand at a four channel plane yesterday, and I wasn't ready for it. I crashed. With something like SAFE it wouldn't have happened. The worst part of the crash is that it really grounded my confidence. If for no other reason, SAFE would have helped me keep my confidence up.

Sure, I would have known that I was going to crash, but no broken parts would have helped a little bit...

I'm looking forward to the Delta Ray being released.
Aug 08, 2013, 11:18 AM
So throw that teach yourself to fly out the window, I will mod this to be a speed demon with new brushless motors and ESC. I would gut Rx and SAFE out of this airframe and attempt to mod it to be a REAL delta wing demon. I would do away with the blue and paint it red and black.
Last edited by FlyGuy3345; Aug 08, 2013 at 11:27 AM.
Aug 08, 2013, 12:29 PM
Pro Bro ozzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy3345
So I will mod this to be a speed demon with new brushless motors and ESC.
Great idea. That's my thought also.
Aug 08, 2013, 01:24 PM
If you are going to gut it right from the start what's the point? That seems like a lot of $ wasted.

Wouldn't you be better served with another flying wing that comes with a brushless motor in the first place? F27 Stryker perhaps?

If you simply really like the style of this plane, why not wait til spare fuselage's are available and go that route?
Aug 08, 2013, 02:22 PM
Pro Bro ozzy
That is my plan, buying the airframe only, and go from there.
Aug 08, 2013, 02:33 PM
Might be tricky since there is no rudder. Twin prop differential is used as the rudder.
Aug 08, 2013, 02:46 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy3345
So throw that teach yourself to fly out the window, I will mod this to be a speed demon with new brushless motors and ESC. I would gut Rx and SAFE out of this airframe and attempt to mod it to be a REAL delta wing demon. I would do away with the blue and paint it red and black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B
Great idea. That's my thought also.
As per Jimmy's response, how about this:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...er-pnp-PKZ5675

Or if you can grab one at the LHS one of these:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...r-pnp-EFL10175

Probably cheaper, certainly easier, and proven and purpose built platforms for high speed and acrobatics. That said, sometimes it's just fun to see what you can do in the modding department, so I get that.

Have fun either way ...

Quick Reply