Nov 07, 2011, 12:01 AM
Must not buy more planes!
Semi-unrelated but I was testing a new camera mount on my Radian this afternoon when I got the weirdest prop effects. (It's a really short video snippet.)

Radian onboard - weird propeller effect (0 min 26 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2011, 02:24 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Quote:
I got the weirdest prop effects.
Combination of prop speed, shutter speed (fps) in your camera and sensor type your camera uses.
Nov 07, 2011, 03:57 AM
Oh, I know. I see weird prop effects all the time but, in this particular case, the RPM of the prop synchs up with the frame rate of the camera to make it extra weird.
Nov 08, 2011, 01:42 PM

Corona Receiver Shortcomings

I've been using a Corona 8 channel crystal controlled receiver on my EZ Star for awhile. I chose it because it is crystal controlled, very small and light weight, sensitive, and handles FM glitches superbly well. That said, it has very poor resolution like it's synthesized counterpart, even though the specs claim 1024.

I was getting away with it on the EZ, but recently I built up a Radian from parts. The rudder would not center properly. When you moved it hard to the right or left it would center plus or minus 1/8." I thought I had a linkage problem. It drove me batty for a while, until a decided to try a good old Futaba 148DF. It was perfect. Not only that but the servos were quieter, too.

Thinking that maybe I had a bad receiver, I tried 4 others, including the one in the EZ and the synthesized model. They all did the same thing. It is too bad because they had other good qualities.

Learned a lesson. No more junk.
Dec 19, 2011, 01:17 AM
I'm Back!!! My last post was way back #609 a few years ago when my Radian flew away from me. I spent many days searching for the glider to no avail. Last week while searching Craigs List, I saw someone selling a Radian for $30. I couldn't believe it when I picked it up. It was brand new, never been flown. The guy said his roommate moved out and left it.
Now I just have to put my name and contact info in the plane and add some visibility to the wings.
Dec 19, 2011, 06:11 AM
Wow! That's a great deal. I'm profoundly jealous.
Jul 03, 2013, 08:53 PM

Can you use 4s?

I know it's an old thread, and I couldn't find this in my search.
Question: Anybody use a 4s pack in this in stock configuration?
Thanks,
Mark
Jul 03, 2013, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
Thanks,
Mark
Go to this thread (it is current)
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922599
Jul 03, 2013, 09:17 PM
Thanks
Jul 03, 2013, 10:15 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Quote:
Thanks,
Mark
4S on stock motor with stock prop will likely:

Burn up the motor over a fairly short period
Likely cause breakage of the motor mount
Possibly twist the nose of the Radian.
Jul 04, 2013, 05:52 AM
Thanks for the reply. Believe I remember you from RCHangout, I was RCGuy there.
Mark
Jul 04, 2013, 08:24 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Believe I remember you from RCHangout, I was RCGuy there.
Mark
RCHangout? Ahhh, I miss that place. The owner tried rewriting the site and in doing so wiped out all the content which eventually killed the site.

Nice group there.

Ed
Apr 18, 2014, 10:50 PM
A real WingNut
Just picked up my second Radian, had the first for about a year back in 2010 into early 11 then got injured on the job in June 2011. Been off work ever since and have been rated totally disabled, slowly starting to get back into the hobby now. My wife would strongly contest that statement with the amount of money I've spent over the past 3 or 4 months rebuilding the fleet that I sold because I wasn't sure I'd ever be able to fly again.
Well, long story short took the Radian out tonight after assembly, ran the throttle up to about 1/4 gave her a gentle toss and she pointed her nose skyward like a good lady and after about 8 minutes with my neck throbbing, just got finished having three surgeries to fuse vertebrae in there. I landed her, drank some water then tossed her back up for another 6 or 8 minute flight. My wife actually went with me and her only comment was how do you see that thing when its just a little speck in the sky like that. I said well I look harder.
Anyway gonna be a great summer, got a Radian, UMX Carbon Cub, want the new sport cub soon. A Crash test hobbies Albatross, Night Vapor, QX 180 Quad copter, and a couple Dave Powers Park jets to fly. So, its great to be back in the hobby, great to be back on RCGoups, and just a great time to be involved in RC Flight in general.

jack
Apr 19, 2014, 03:07 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
Congrats Jack! Sounds like you had a great couple of flights.
Happy flyin,
Josh
Apr 19, 2014, 09:55 PM
Jack sounds like you're on the road to a good recovery. RC has therapeutic properties too!

Quick Reply