Jan 14, 2013, 08:40 PM
Kevin Gault
Thread OP
A few close up shots. So far, so good. No more topping lift catching.

Kevin
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2013, 10:47 AM
Kevin Gault
Thread OP
Got the boat out in a bit more wind yesterday. Very shifty and puffy. I think maybe 12-15 knots in the gusts. At times, could've used a B-rig, but all in all she sailed pretty well, with fairly tight outhauls and tight backstay with lots of twist. I should've move the rig forward a bit as the weatherhelm became overpowering a few times. By the time I thought about it the wind had eased up a bit Edge of the hatch was under water a few times and only took in a few drops of water.

Kevin
Feb 25, 2013, 02:02 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeist
At times, could've used a B-rig, but all in all she sailed pretty well, with fairly tight outhauls and tight backstay with lots of twist. I should've move the rig forward a bit as the weatherhelm became overpowering a few times.
Kevin:

Do you think that moving the mast and jib forward would have been enough to counteract the weather helm or would you have needed a B rig?

Also, in reading a post in the general CJ thread one of the NZ guys said that he thought the difference between the A and B rig were not enough to bother with and so he goes right from an A to a C.

Their rules used to not have the current B and their old B is now called a C with his old even smaller C now being a D which is illegal since it is too small.

Steve
Feb 25, 2013, 02:24 PM
Kevin,

Looks like you went to Tri City Park instead of Riverside. I checked the weather at riverside and it showed a steady 24 mph wind. That would have been too much for the A rig. Did your Dad get to try out his Chris Craft?

Last week I bought a new radio and installed the receiver in the LN Victory Tug and was looking forward to testing it out along with the new carbon fiber booms on the C-J.

Ed
Feb 25, 2013, 05:54 PM
RB

Heavy Air

I've yet to complete my J, let alone sail one... but, a couple of comments based on my Victoria experience. That boat is good up to about 20 and adjustments that are necessary to accommodate heavier air include: reducing sail draft; increasing halyard tension; raking the mast forward ( as much as 2 inches); adjusting shroud tension - increase the lowers and decrease the upper tension; increase the sheeting angles ... Some of these I would think are valid for the J.
Ciao, Richard
Feb 25, 2013, 06:38 PM
Kevin Gault
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamCrusher
Kevin:

Do you think that moving the mast and jib forward would have been enough to counteract the weather helm or would you have needed a B rig?

Also, in reading a post in the general CJ thread one of the NZ guys said that he thought the difference between the A and B rig were not enough to bother with and so he goes right from an A to a C.

Their rules used to not have the current B and their old B is now called a C with his old even smaller C now being a D which is illegal since it is too small.

Steve
Steve,

Like many ponds, the wind here is highly variable. Most of the day the wind was 6 knots or so. The issue was puffs would roll through, often from different directions, and the boat would get overpowered and have pretty extreme weather helm. If I were racing, I'd still want the A-rig, but maybe moved forward on the step and raked somewhat forward, to help with the puffs. If the wind was steady in velocity and direction, I think the boat (and skipper) would've been better at keeping things in balance. I'm sure the NZL guys know what they're talking about with regards to rig size. Maybe going straight to the C-rig is the way to go? Any idea what the group in Sacto are doing for smaller rigs?

Kevin
Feb 26, 2013, 01:26 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Quote:
I'm sure the NZL guys know what they're talking about with regards to rig size. Maybe going straight to the C-rig is the way to go? Any idea what the group in Sacto are doing for smaller rigs?
Kevin:

The NZ CJ guys are probably like the IOM guys, unless it is blowing like stink, they don't even bother going out

Here in Tomatotown we are just getting started with CJ's and the boats in the water have only A rigs, thus my question. Do I need a smaller rig or can I get by detuning the A rig in most conditions, or if it would be desirable to have a smaller rig, then which one (B or C)?

I can stretch the wind range of the A rig on my US1M up to about 8 - 9 mph constant before it starts to play submarine on run and broach, even "hiding" the jib behind the main. Then it is time to drop down to the B. I have a C for the US1M, but have never done anything with it but test it.

They guys here are generally too "conservative" with their boats to tempt higher wind conditions, so it may not matter anyway. Twice last year we canceled heats because I couldn't get anyone else to join me on the starting line in 12+ mph

Steve
Mar 11, 2013, 05:26 PM
Kevin,

Where did you get the hook for the jib swivel?

Ed
Mar 11, 2013, 05:41 PM
Kevin Gault
Thread OP
Ed,

They're "KDH" brand rigging hooks. I think I got a package years ago from Midwest Model Yachting. They say they are out of stock now. More recently I bought a package from Leading Edge hobbies in Canada.

http://www.leadingedgehobbies.com/we...rget=KDH139008

Kevin
Mar 11, 2013, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the info.

Ed
Apr 06, 2013, 09:22 AM
Onward and Upward.
That looks beautiful, Kevin. Good job.
Apr 06, 2013, 02:36 PM
Kevin Gault
Thread OP
Thanks Randy. Any progress on yours? Love to see some pics!!!

Kevin
Apr 10, 2013, 11:50 PM
Kevin Gault
Thread OP
Got a few of the boats in my "fleet" out today on my day off. A chance to try out my new camera (a "mirrorless" Panasonic with a 45-150mm zoom lens). It seems to take pretty good pictures for a complete camera novice like me. The C-J sailed well, some big puffs had the hatch underwater a few times, but again only a few drops inside at the end of the day. Also got to sail my modified Kittywake footy with my newest set of homemade sails (they need some fine tuning), and gave my V32 a short spin around the block too. All in all a good day.

Kevin
Last edited by poltergeist; Apr 11, 2013 at 10:36 AM.
Apr 11, 2013, 03:17 PM
Kevin,

The sails on the footy look very nice, I would like to try making some sails one day. What material did you use?

I have not been able to sail my C-J since I changed the booms to carbon fiber. All of my boats are in dry dock at a neighbors house. My garage is full of all our furniture. The new laminate flooring we had installed last year is being replaced due to a defect.

Ed
Apr 11, 2013, 09:48 PM
Onward and Upward.
Quote:
Thanks Randy. Any progress on yours? Love to see some pics!!!

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

not yet. we're moving back to Denver for a new job, so selling the house and looking for a new one. Oh well, there are some nice clubs in the Denver area. Can't wait to start sailing again!

Randy

Quick Reply