Feb 18, 2013, 01:06 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Canopies by the dozen

Tired of your "bug" canopy. Well, it's a great time to find a replacement.

Check the Easter department of your local discount store for plastic eggs. You'll find every color imaginable, different sizes, some shaped like footballs, soccerballs, some camo colored. I even found silver and gold-plated eggs.

Most open so that you get a short-squatty canopy and a tall canopy from each egg. My favorite, but harder to find is those that split lengthwise. Thatway, you get two identical ones and they look more like a spaceship than a flying saucer.

So far, the best selection is at Dollar Tree and "wallyworld"

Swilson50
aka: Stan in Dodge City
to remove ads between posts
Feb 18, 2013, 01:17 PM
Abundantly deficient.......
Excellent idea Stan! Thanks.

M
Feb 18, 2013, 09:29 PM
That is a brilliant idea. Just grabbed a dozen of the legthwise opening eggs from CVS for $2.99. A coat of spraypaint later and it looks pretty cool. I think it may also add some structural rigidity as well... kind of heavy at 2.6grams but it definitely works well and looks good.
Feb 18, 2013, 09:33 PM
Stan told me about the Easter Egg canopy and I was going to post something but forgot. Thanks for posting it Stan
Feb 18, 2013, 09:56 PM
Abundantly deficient.......
Oooooooo.........Chiney!

M
Feb 18, 2013, 09:58 PM
GOT WINGS
I was just looking at the easter eggs at the dollar tree today and thinking the same thing. I saw some of the larger lengthwise split ones and almost bought a pack, but didn't. Probably because I haven't looked elsewhere and was worried about the weight. My current V202 paper canopy weighs 0.9 grams and looks pretty good.
Latest blog entry: UMX Air Tractor BNF
Feb 19, 2013, 12:29 AM
last of the sixties kids..
Great idea. I am looking at making some different canopies for my quad. Have tried some paper ones but they don't like crashing much
Feb 19, 2013, 07:16 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
Hi Gents,
What do these weigh?
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Feb 19, 2013, 10:05 AM
Thread OP

2 grams sir

I just weighed three of the Easter egg canopies and they all come in around 2 grams.
Swilson50
Feb 19, 2013, 11:41 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
Hi S,
That is a bit heavy for the micro sizes but certainly flyable. Everyone has their preferences. I prefer the lightness(@~0.7g), ease and protection of foam types.
--Foam canopies for Mini and Micro quads 101
I added your thread to the Mini and Micro Multicopter section of the Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swilson50
I just weighed three of the Easter egg canopies and they all come in around 2 grams.
Swilson50

Quick Reply