Feb 14, 2013, 07:54 AM
9W2DLR
axn can be fly slow if the pilot know how to handle it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oFUzxzmHAw&feature=youtube_gdata_player
to remove ads between posts
Feb 14, 2013, 08:17 AM
Mmmmmmm!
I fly mine slow and just 30cm from the ground sometimes. It's a ton of fun. Altho when I landed on the snow the darn thing never stopped and hit a wall, the nose cracked. Nothing a bit of hot glue can't fix.
Feb 14, 2013, 12:55 PM
FPV Noob

Removable tail?

Hi all, I'm just about to try and build a portable fpv platform, decided to keep it simple, micro 5.8G Vtx and a #16 V2 cam powered by receiver, always wanted an AXN so I've just ordered one from HobbyKing (who else!). Went for the ARF w/motor as it seems that some people have trouble with the PNF stock servos and ESC...

To keep it flat-packable it'd be cool if I could keep the horizontal and vertical stabilizers removable, so if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear 'em I was thinking rare earth magnets and mounting the servos in the tail...

Cheers!
-Al
Feb 14, 2013, 04:35 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsazerbaijan
Hi all, I'm just about to try and build a portable fpv platform, decided to keep it simple, micro 5.8G Vtx and a #16 V2 cam powered by receiver, always wanted an AXN so I've just ordered one from HobbyKing (who else!). Went for the ARF w/motor as it seems that some people have trouble with the PNF stock servos and ESC...

To keep it flat-packable it'd be cool if I could keep the horizontal and vertical stabilizers removable, so if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear 'em I was thinking rare earth magnets and mounting the servos in the tail...

Cheers!
-Al
Tail feathers on this bird are fairly important to the way it flys. I would be very careful about making them removable. Maybe with nylon bolts or something similar.
Feb 14, 2013, 07:26 PM

nose heavy/ tail heavy?

I havent had a chance to fly in good weather and fine tune my plane. It flies good and has good over all performance. aj mentioned aileron differential and i think have grasp on that idea. And will work that out soon. Another thing i notice was the plane wanted to porpoise in a glide and had to use down elev to get it into a good glide angle for landing. But not much elev trim in the plane to fly good @ 1/2 speed. Also seemed to have to use a little too much down (almost half the stick throw)in inverted flight to keep it from falling into the completion of an inside loop. I am using 1800 batt, and most are recommending 2200 to create best cg? But these seem to be nose heavy characteristics........... I think?
Feb 14, 2013, 07:41 PM
9W2DLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by banknwank
I havent had a chance to fly in good weather and fine tune my plane. It flies good and has good over all performance. aj mentioned aileron differential and i think have grasp on that idea. And will work that out soon. Another thing i notice was the plane wanted to porpoise in a glide and had to use down elev to get it into a good glide angle for landing. But not much elev trim in the plane to fly good @ 1/2 speed. Also seemed to have to use a little too much down (almost half the stick throw)in inverted flight to keep it from falling into the completion of an inside loop. I am using 1800 batt, and most are recommending 2200 to create best cg? But these seem to be nose heavy characteristics........... I think?
i never used 1800,my axn only used 2200mah, but i do need a bit of weight on the tail to balance all out, if you dont have lead just put some metal washer
Feb 14, 2013, 07:52 PM
I've been browsing the thread for a while looking at how people have been mounting aftermarket motors to the AXN Floater Jet.

I am working on a new mount design that would replace the plastic one and allow you to easily install and remove the popular 28mm outrunners.

The mount will consist of a base piece and a motor plate. Base piece would glue onto the nacelle of the plane replacing the stock plastic one. The motor plate would attach to the back of the new motor, and this assembly would attach to the new base piece.

One thing I had not seen (but possibly overlooked) is if people are wanting to have the motor raised up a bit to allow for a larger prop?

For those running camera equipment, the loss of aerodynamics with a raised motor is not that big of a deal, and would give you the option of running a larger diameter prop for more thrust.

Just looking for some user feedback to make sure this new design works for most everyone.

Thanks,

Terry
Feb 14, 2013, 08:40 PM
Hey guys,

Anyone knows if there are spare wings for the AXN aside from buying the whole kit? Also, the "big" wings upgrade seem a little hard to do: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1190624

Anyone has any ideas? Would Bixler wings fit into the fuselage? I don't mind having to shave off some foam for it to fit.
Feb 14, 2013, 09:11 PM
9W2DLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by perdification
Hey guys,

Anyone knows if there are spare wings for the AXN aside from buying the whole kit? Also, the "big" wings upgrade seem a little hard to do: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1190624

Anyone has any ideas? Would Bixler wings fit into the fuselage? I don't mind having to shave off some foam for it to fit.
hard to find a place selling only the wing, bixler wing wont fit to big you need to cut the bix wing at the center and glue it directly to the fuse at the link you posted did, even though the idea for bix wing is tempting as i have a set of bix wing from my crashes fuse is totalled only have the wings left, i might trybit later

just for fun i'm planning to do a twin motor axn
Last edited by skellator; Feb 14, 2013 at 09:20 PM.
Feb 14, 2013, 10:27 PM
Crashing in Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by perdification
Hey guys,

I've got a spare set of wings with not too many marks and dents.
Since you're close by I could show you.

BTW - where do you fly?
I normally go to Old Holland Rd.
Cheers
Feb 15, 2013, 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator
hard to find a place selling only the wing, bixler wing wont fit to big you need to cut the bix wing at the center and glue it directly to the fuse at the link you posted did, even though the idea for bix wing is tempting as i have a set of bix wing from my crashes fuse is totalled only have the wings left, i might trybit later

just for fun i'm planning to do a twin motor axn
Thanks for the reply. Yeah the guy wasn't using a bixler wing, some wing from another shop. Just wondering if the bixler wing can fit with minimal cutting? Are the dimensions alright? If it can fit with some cutting, I don't mind using a bixler wing in place of the stock wing, at least it has a greater area and provides more lift. The plane can carry more payload then. Do keep me updated on whether it would be able to fit once cut to size! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghern
I've got a spare set of wings with not too many marks and dents.
Since you're close by I could show you.

BTW - where do you fly?
I normally go to Old Holland Rd.
Cheers
Hey friend, good to know there's someone nearby in this forum! I'm in punggol, pretty far away. Thanks for the offer, I don't actually have a broken wing, but mine it has been extensively repaired and for cosmetic reasons, I'm thinking of getting a new one. A bixler wing is pretty cheap from hobbyking, and it'd be good to have a source for spare wings as well.

Anyone has already tried putting a bixler wing on an axn?
Feb 15, 2013, 04:56 AM
sotog - I raised the positioning of my motor by about 20mm when I put a more powerful motor on (the same one hendrnk has) but I have to be honest and say, for me, it was a bad decision. I'm not sure whether it was the motor, the new position or the slightly larger prop that was the problem but it turned this sweet liitle flyer (the AXN- not me) into a wh*re. I just could NOT get it to fly right and in the end I returned everything to stock and once again, it flew beautifully.

All that said, I know hendrnk loves how his AXN flies so either I was unlucky or it just wasn't meant to be.

It's a bit like cutting the wing tips off. Some fliers (like me) love the improved roll rate and increased 'skittishness' but others say it no longer floats as well. I flew my cut down AXN on Sunday and it was thermalling like the best. So for me, there is no downside to clipping those tips. We're all different.
Feb 15, 2013, 05:06 AM
9W2DLR
only downside cutting the tips are the ability to self level other than that nothing much would effect the axn
Feb 15, 2013, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator
i never used 1800,my axn only used 2200mah, but i do need a bit of weight on the tail to balance all out, if you dont have lead just put some metal washer
That's strange, all the AXNs flown at my local field balance perfectly with a 2200mah (about 170gm). I wonder why yours is nose heavy? Have you got the Rx or speedy up in the nose as well? Our RXs are under the wing and speedies normally on the foam flat just above the servos.
Feb 15, 2013, 07:02 AM
9W2DLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaksterBlue
That's strange, all the AXNs flown at my local field balance perfectly with a 2200mah (about 170gm). I wonder why yours is nose heavy? Have you got the Rx or speedy up in the nose as well? Our RXs are under the wing and speedies normally on the foam flat just above the servos.
nope i only have a ton of HOT GLUE on the nose

Quick Reply