Feb 06, 2013, 08:08 PM
Diverted by planks
I'm a pretty 'carefree' builder myself when it comes to slight appearance imperfections.....

HOWEVER....

in this case, believe it or not, it might be that that much offset will cause the fuse to be pulled into a banana shape and not perfectly true.

Perhaps not, but I would definitely carefully check.

On this type of plane, the most important thing is that all the glued parts be axial, level, even, lined up, etc.

So I'd carefully check to see what stresses that might be causing. It's possible you'll decide to carefully use a scalpel to undo the bond, then carefully align and re-bond. If needed, it's a tough bird, it can take it!
to remove ads between posts
Feb 06, 2013, 08:26 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
On my two builds I pretty much followed the build Cody did with a few exceptions. No landing gear on my first Pitts and ez connectors for the aileron links on both of them. I did watch the video but had built my first before it so I knew what to expect for the second Pitts.

stgdz you could add some epp if you have it to make it square. It's a learning process you should have seen my first foamy build. I was shocked it even flew.
Feb 06, 2013, 09:22 PM
Honeybadger don't care...
Ah- it's fine!!! Needs a little down and little right for the prop/motor anyway.

I think you just saved a washer! Fly it as is (but put a washer in to add a touch of right thrust).

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz
Due to my awesome building this happened. Should I just add some extra welders and make up the gap or cut the EPP. I'm probably going to make up the 1/8" gap with welders. Its not like it will make a difference in a year after flying this
Feb 06, 2013, 09:30 PM
The video and directions are great. Any way you build it it will fly if you balance and trim it correctly.

But... and I hate to say it, if you want the best practices to build the plane you want you should read the 2462 posts above, take notes and execute your own plan. There is a TON of wisdom to be had and there are worthwhile mods.
Feb 07, 2013, 02:52 AM
Slopeaholic
I hadn't used landing gear on with my Pitts or my CY.
No issues, they are easy to land and no LG hassles. Lighter too. I would only add LG if I going to be landing on
Concrete or indoor, where the wheels will rotate freely.
Feb 07, 2013, 08:55 AM
thanks guys.

its not my first build, ive built 2 CY lites now, and im halfway through the crack wing at the moment. i just thought there were a few typos or steps out of order that i heard about here or there... but its probably rather straight forward like all the TH stuff.

i'll just go over it again today to refresh myself before beginning the build tonight.
Feb 07, 2013, 08:59 AM
Team Twisted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampflyer
thanks guys.

its not my first build, ive built 2 CY lites now, and im halfway through the crack wing at the moment. i just thought there were a few typos or steps out of order that i heard about here or there... but its probably rather straight forward like all the TH stuff.

i'll just go over it again today to refresh myself before beginning the build tonight.
if you see something while you are doing the build, especially if it does not make sense let me know, if an edit or correction is needed we will get it done.
cdee
Feb 07, 2013, 09:02 AM
will do.

Feb 07, 2013, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz
Due to my awesome building this happened. Should I just add some extra welders and make up the gap or cut the EPP. I'm probably going to make up the 1/8" gap with welders. Its not like it will make a difference in a year after flying this
As others have said a bit of down thrust might not be detrimental but even so I think I'd get the steel rule out and trim it down. I'm thinking that when you glue the fibre plate on you want the thing to sit flat and have good surface area for the glue.

I can see what Tracknoob is on about. If it's that far out down the length of the fuse I suppose it could have induced a warp, check that before you decide what to do.
Feb 12, 2013, 05:30 PM
Slopeaholic
The cold doesnt get in the way when you want a crack fix

More snow blanketting the UK again. It was bl@@@y cold. -2 and my batts were really getting affected.

Snow - Revisited (4 min 11 sec)
Feb 12, 2013, 06:00 PM
Nice Jimbo. I was out in it today up at our new field, brrrrrrrrrr. Though once again you've got more snow than we have
Feb 12, 2013, 07:58 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Nice one jimbo, the Piits against the snow is cool.

We didn't get as much snow this year as the last few which is cool with me. Going from spring like weather to crazy cold, is annoying though. Waiting to see what the weekend looks like. Going get the Pitts out with the mini if it's nice.
Feb 13, 2013, 04:32 AM
Slopeaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly
Nice Jimbo. I was out in it today up at our new field, brrrrrrrrrr. Though once again you've got more snow than we have
That's crazy. Our weather is truly screwy.
They have coined a new name for our climate change adjusted weather patterns.
'Monsoon Britain'
Feb 13, 2013, 04:35 AM
Slopeaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazePilot
Nice one jimbo, the Piits against the snow is cool.

We didn't get as much snow this year as the last few which is cool with me. Going from spring like weather to crazy cold, is annoying though. Waiting to see what the weekend looks like. Going get the Pitts out with the mini if it's nice.
You're in Southern USA/Texas aren't you?. Isn't cold for you about 80F If only we had some of your weather!
Feb 13, 2013, 06:31 AM
Flew the Yak Lite in the frontyard yesterday and it was a blistering 38 degrees. I have flown in 18 degrees earlier this winter and was fine. Just throw a hat and the transmitter glove in the car and I am ready to go!

Quick Reply