Feb 03, 2013, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty case View Post
Tnx J !

I've got three types of MIG welding wire in front of me, and a buncha guitar strings in the drawer next to me...
Automotive battery chargers, transformers, and power supply units a few feet away in the garage...
I need to root out a light dimmer switch or pot to control voltage...

Otherwise... I'm just dragging my feet, over-thinking something simple !!!

I need to make a jig to cut foamie wings up to 48".

Now I'm wondering if I can use the hot wire to cut PET ???

...gotta rig this with a little exhaust fan to avoid breathing the fumes from melting the plastic.

I'll go back to your mega-link now and search for info on PET-G fabrication.

Tnx J!
rc
This is what got me started shrinking pop bottles https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=444212 Works good just using a heat gun. Here's a link to my first effort https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2304

Cheers, Andrew.
Last edited by Banjo5; Feb 03, 2013 at 03:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 03, 2013, 07:51 PM
KlonWarz
Oh Thanks, Banjo!

and that's your plug there?
Looks great!
...and you will use Fusion paint, on the inside???

I shall go to the threads you advise Right Now!

Thank you!
rc
Feb 03, 2013, 08:53 PM
GOT WINGS
bluesz was talking about making lighter weight canopies. I made the one in this picture out of 2mm foam bought at hobby lobby. cut the shape you want and glue it with ca. This one weighs 1.4g, my lightest, but not the best looking
Latest blog entry: UMX Air Tractor BNF
Feb 04, 2013, 12:12 AM
Wow siriusflier what type of blades are those and how much better does it fly?
Feb 04, 2013, 10:03 AM
@chester:
He described it here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=5009
Feb 04, 2013, 11:21 AM
GOT WINGS
The blades on my v929 pictured above are gemfan 5030 from goodluck buy. I replaced gws 5443 blades with these just as an experiment. They do not fly better, response is slower, they are not direct fit, and two of them were very unbalanced. I think I still need to do some more balancing on one of them. If I were going to try this again, I would get the Gf 5445 blades. And they seem to catch more wind(5mph) causing a pendulum effect when coming out of FF.
Feb 04, 2013, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty case View Post
Oh Thanks, Banjo!

and that's your plug there?
Looks great!
...and you will use Fusion paint, on the inside???

I shall go to the threads you advise Right Now!

Thank you!
rc
Yup, that's the plug. As per the first topic, I found it best to try and wedge stuff behind the plug to use up as much of the "space" inside the pop bottle so that the plastic doesn't have to shrink so much.

This was as far as I got with the whole thing. Full of good intentions to do more.

I'll be interested in how you make out, and what you can produce.

cheers,
Andrew
Feb 04, 2013, 02:08 PM
KlonWarz
You bet, Banjo... I'll be sure to post pics of what I'm able to make.

and I'll post pics of mistakes, too! they are frequently more fun! lol

I'm still working on the ez part... gathering the plastic scraps. I pulled a salad dressing bottle from the trash that had the beginnings of an interesting aero shape. There seems to be a lot of info about vacuum forming, (which I haven't reviewed, yet), but I'm still having difficulty locating info on solvent application to PET-G and also heat welding it.
Plenty to learn!
Best
rc
Feb 04, 2013, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier View Post
bluesz was talking about making lighter weight canopies. I made the one in this picture out of 2mm foam bought at hobby lobby. cut the shape you want and glue it with ca. This one weighs 1.4g, my lightest, but not the best looking
nice bro

mine will be a "functional" canopy more than a fancy one ...
Feb 04, 2013, 06:19 PM
GOT WINGS
bluesz, that is the aim of this canopy and others I make, some out of photo paper - function. I try to make them lighter, provide protection for the board, and reduce interference with rotor wash. Early on I was making canopies out of plastic shapes like the one I made from a mouse pad plastic package. I really liked the wasy it looked, but then realized it added a gram or two of weight. I can make elaborate designs on photo paper canopies, but unless smaller than a V929 canopy, paper weighs more than the foam canopies I make. More advantages to paper and foam canopies: they are cheap, easy to make, and you can change the look of your copter anytime you want.
Feb 04, 2013, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier View Post
bluesz, that is the aim of this canopy and others I make, some out of photo paper - function. I try to make them lighter, provide protection for the board, and reduce interference with rotor wash. Early on I was making canopies out of plastic shapes like the one I made from a mouse pad plastic package. I really liked the wasy it looked, but then realized it added a gram or two of weight. I can make elaborate designs on photo paper canopies, but unless smaller than a V929 canopy, paper weighs more than the foam canopies I make. More advantages to paper and foam canopies: they are cheap, easy to make, and you can change the look of your copter anytime you want.
Yeye mate, I'm using plastic bottles for my canopies, remember?
But after realized that it was a significant difference flying w/o the fancy canopy, I have decided to make a lighter canopy. When I have meant function, I was thinking about protection AND help with the orientation in the same time. I'm using a nice black foam tape for the landing gears which are really amazing light, so I think I will combine that with an extremly "chopped/cut" plasticbottle canopy...
Feb 05, 2013, 12:39 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
FWIW Dept.

I added a light from my v959 to my v929 homemade drink cup canopy.

It plugs into my 929 (8 plug) board and switches on/off with my 959Tx.

I like it and will order more lights.
Last edited by bartricky; Feb 05, 2013 at 12:48 PM.
Feb 06, 2013, 02:03 PM
Guys, would the REV2 2012/06/08 board autoflip at 100% D/R with the 9X?
Feb 06, 2013, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulesz View Post
Guys, would the REV2 2012/06/08 board autoflip at 100% D/R with the 9X?
It should
Feb 06, 2013, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaynejG View Post
It should
ok, thanks, than its not an option for me...

Quick Reply