Jan 30, 2013, 12:25 AM
Yin & Yang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin
No prob...

One of my best friends, growing up, sent me this youtube link. We spent some time in New Orleans back in '78 after we both moved out of New York... he stayed and opened a blues/jazz club, and I went off to put my degree to work for me. It's my new theme song since I like the music and the lyrics pretty much sums up what I do all damn day long. I should have stayed in New Orleans, I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9jt_vz76Qw
Aero,
Thanks for posting this. I really liked it. I don't know if Nick Cohen was the friend that you spoke of but I looked up his facebook page and listened to cuts from some of his other stuff. Really like bluesy jazz. List credit that he's played with Jeff Beck and Gil Scott heron, Eurythmics even Tom Jones. Cool stuff.
I'll be keeping an eye out to get the album.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 30, 2013, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrcpilot
If the Vess 20B is not to my liking, I might have to give the Xoar a try. That video you posted looks very familiar. That is my Mintor on a Pro Flow. I would highly recommend the Pro Flow to anybody who owns an ic engine. They have a wonderful sound, add some power, and make any engine almost as smooth as an electric. The Mintor is getting some updated parts right now. Mine has always run nice, but I knew they had updated parts so I sent it in. It powered my 260 very nicely. I bought the EME35 to test it out, and I think I might keep it in the 260 instead of the Mintor. The power and smoothness of the EME really impress me, and I would recommend it to anybody who is in the market for a small engine. I bought mine at taildraggerrc.com. They only run $250. That is an excellent price and performance is top notch.
Great info about your experience with both engines. Thanks. Like many small gas engines, I did wait to see what happened with the guys that had the Mentor and all the buzz fizzled out in about four months. I do like what I'm hearing so far about the EME so please keep up updated, either here or in a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty10
Aero,
Thanks for posting this. I really liked it. I don't know if Nick Cohen was the friend that you spoke of but I looked up his facebook page and listened to cuts from some of his other stuff. Really like bluesy jazz. List credit that he's played with Jeff Beck and Gil Scott heron, Eurythmics even Tom Jones. Cool stuff.
I'll be keeping an eye out to get the album.
Yeah, most of what I remember about NO was the food, drink, and music. Shawn is my fiend's name, and he owns Dos Jefes. When I was there, he was a captain at the Commanders Palace, one of the world's top ten restaurants, and Paul Prudhomme was the chef. When he left, the Brennens recruited Emeril Lagasse from Massachusetts to replace him. Some may say that was impossible. Anyway, we ate and drank well and I can't think about the time I spent there without hearing the music in my head. It was everywhere, like a background to life. Doctor John is playing at the Blues Fest here (downtown St Pete), coming up soon, and that will be the first time I've seen him since the party that starts the Krewe of Bacchus parade at the Superdome. I'm glad you enjoyed the video as much as I did. Cool stuff.
Jan 30, 2013, 03:41 PM
Well, holy crap... H9 has jumped the gun on the 100cc Yak market by releasing the 2.6m (102 inch) Composite Yak-54 built by Xtreme Composites. They are saying 27 to 29 pound. Is that possible? The video looks great with the 120 and a 27x10TH Mejzlik.

But then again, QuiQue can fly a brick and make it look good.
Last edited by Aeroplayin; Jan 30, 2013 at 05:00 PM.
Jan 30, 2013, 08:46 PM
I like the looks of that new plane.

I received the 20B today. It might be a while until I can test it though. High of -2 tomorrow with 30mph winds. No school due to the wind chills. On a positive note, the new graphics are on my cowl, so now I have to leave the EME in there because the cowl says so.
Jan 30, 2013, 10:47 PM
Quote:
It might be a while until I can test it though. High of -2 tomorrow with 30mph winds.
I usually take an early morning walk down St Pete Beach from Upham to Pass-a-Grille. It's amazing how empty the beach is at 8 a.m. .... But it was still 71 degrees yesterday.
Feb 02, 2013, 06:35 PM
It was just snowing so I didn't think I would be able to get any testing in today, but it just stopped and the sun came out. Tested with a Vess 20B. 7000rpm on the ground 7600 in the air. It did seem a little rich once I got her in the air. Plenty of power for this plane. I did one flight and it was great. Can't wait to fly it some more. Excellent pull out of a hover, and slowed down nicely for landing. I have an idle up switch that I use, so landing rpm is between 1500 and 1600, and idle up is right around 2000.
Feb 02, 2013, 06:59 PM
Quote:
It was just snowing so I didn't think I would be able to get any testing in today, but it just stopped and the sun came out. Tested with a Vess 20B. 7000rpm on the ground 7600 in the air. It did seem a little rich once I got her in the air. Plenty of power for this plane. I did one flight and it was great. Can't wait to fly it some more. Excellent pull out of a hover, and slowed down nicely for landing. I have an idle up switch that I use, so landing rpm is between 1500 and 1600, and idle up is right around 2000.
Those are great numbers for the 20B and an 11.5 pound plane, wet.
Feb 02, 2013, 07:20 PM
Team Twisted!
Here is my 3rd flight with the EME35 on my 78'' Extra. This is with a 19x8 xoar.

78 Extra /W EME35 (5 min 3 sec)

Still needs tuning. You can hear a lot of burbling but it improved a lot each flight after we tuned it a bit more. The plane is great with this engine on it.
Feb 02, 2013, 07:41 PM

Castle ESC w Torque Motors

Hey guys I am planning on ordering a 64" MXP with the recommended Torque motor. Are there ny issues or recommended set-ups with a Castle Ice 100 ESC? I'll also be using a separate BEC (not sure if Ill go with the Castle pro version or not).

Thanks for your help.
Feb 02, 2013, 07:42 PM
Nice... once you finish breaking it in and leaning it out, that burble will go away, and moving to a 20 inch will be a natural transition. Seems the engine output is going to be perfect for the 78. Thanks for taking video so we can see that.
Feb 02, 2013, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus_
Hey guys I am planning on ordering a 64" MXP with the recommended Torque motor. Are there ny issues or recommended set-ups with a Castle Ice 100 ESC? I'll also be using a separate BEC (not sure if Ill go with the Castle pro version or not).

Thanks for your help.
Should be no issue with the CC 100A. But if you are going with a 2S LiPO, there's no need for the BEC Pro. I have a Pro here that I was intending to use with the 3S LiPO's I bought, but I haven't even soldered the connectors on it yet since the 2S plugged directly into the Rx works fine. I still may do it because I'll probably move the 2S setup to the 70 EXP, when I get around to buying one, and then put the 3S with the Pro, set to 8.4v, in the 78.
Feb 02, 2013, 10:12 PM
Quote:
when I get around to buying one, and then put the 3S with the Pro, set to 8.4v, in the 78.
The pro doesn't do 8.4V... it has 0.5V increments unlike the 0.1V that the castle 10 amp has. It does 8.0 then the next setting is 8.5V
Feb 02, 2013, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44
The pro doesn't do 8.4V... it has 0.5V increments unlike the 0.1V that the castle 10 amp has. It does 8.0 then the next setting is 8.5V
8.5v will work just fine. BTW... here's the Q80-6L. 47.2 oz as-is. 9 HP with a 26x10TH Mejzlik. 112.44 total ounces with bolts, nuts, and standoffs, the Castle HV160 and 2x 6S 40C 5000 Skys. As a comparison, the DA85 with a pipe, header, clamps, ignition battery, tank, half-tank of fuel, and a throttle servo, comes in only 2.5 oz lighter.

Can't wait.
Feb 02, 2013, 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin
8.5v will work just fine. BTW... here's the Q80-6L. 47.2 oz as-is. 9 HP with a 26x10TH Mejzlik. 112.44 total ounces with bolts, nuts, and standoffs, the Castle HV160 and 2x 6S 40C 5000 Skys. As a comparison, the DA85 with a pipe, header, clamps, ignition battery, tank, half-tank of fuel, and a throttle servo, comes in only 2.5 oz lighter.

Can't wait.
Which plane
Feb 03, 2013, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44
Which plane
It's slated for one of my kit projects (sent a PM explaining it), but since they seem to be putting the DA85 in the new 91 class EF planes, I'm guessing this may be the ultimate 3D power setup for the Extra, if a 26 prop can clear safely. Maybe the 91 Yak-54, since Yaks typically stand higher on the LG in scale.

I'd have to ask on the Flying Giants thread what the AUW of the 85 setup came in at, but this may be pushing the limit of the intended performance envelope with regard to wing loading and wing cube loading.

I still think the Q80-8M with the 24x10TH is the right motor for the 91 Extra, if I owned one, since it is about 10 oz lighter. But I would always be wondering what the 6L can do since the DA85 seems to fit and balance on that plane. The question is if the 26 prop will clear. If it does, this could be the ultimate 5 minute 3D power setup on the 91's.

Beats 10 minutes of vibrating the pizz out of a really nice plane.

Quick Reply