Jan 30, 2013, 08:12 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

What Engines Will do the 4 2 4? I'll Start By Listing

All McCoy Red Head or Black Head 35's, 40's, Fox 35's and OS 35 S's. Brodak says his 40 will 4 2 4. At the last stunt contest at Whitter Narrows, I heard others that broke cleanly. Which engines do you think break audibly and cleanly?
Last edited by tigreflyer; Jan 30, 2013 at 09:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 30, 2013, 08:27 PM
My Enya 61RE has a lovely 4-2-4 break and in RC I found the Rossi 45 and Enya 80X both did a great break which kind of leads me to believe most engines can do it if everything is set up just right.
Jan 30, 2013, 09:00 PM
Thread OP
Thanks down! Great Info! Anyone else?
Jan 31, 2013, 12:02 AM
Old Timer

More engines, but all are OLD, just like I am

Don't forget the smaller stunt Foxes. Several of the OS Max H-40 series worked sweetly for me back then (1970s), and I had a Veco 35 made in 1972, I think, their "Series 100", anyway, which would do it.

I know the K&B GH 45 was supposed to do so, and Hawk Hawkins had one in an overweight Nobler that did (1963). I have a Johnson "S" that I've never had mounted on anything, but in the 1960s, I heard those flying in a 4-2-4.

FYI, the steel fin Fox 15X was reputed to have a sweet sounding break, and the Nobler Jr was designed for that one. Fox had a 3-bolt 19 that would, and a 25 based on that 19 that was about as strong as their Stunt 29. There were a few people running Fox Rocket 40s that way, in the 1960s, but IMO, those broke "too harshly" with too much of a power shift.

OK, P. S. (As Raglafart commented, about old sparkies) I've basically restricted my own answer to those engines I've been on the field with to hear them running, and personally never heard any of those do it. I had a couple of Atwood sparkies very early on, which I had bad experience with, while trying to learn about engines in a vacuum situation (no real, practical information) and was very negative toward sparkies thereafter.

Kiwi
Last edited by The Kiwi; Jan 31, 2013 at 09:08 AM.
Jan 31, 2013, 05:03 AM
The Orwick 64 is the daddy of them all. The Fox 35 Stunt owes it's timings to the Orwick.
While the Orwick is indeed an ignition engine, I can verify from my own experience that it is capable of a wonderful 4-2-4 run, this when flown using spark ignition and premium gas fuel.
There was a piece in the Model Engine Collectors magazine that gave all the details about how J C Yates and Bob Palmer used these engines in the early days. I know J C Yates was famous for his high speed flying, but it was the Orwick that they first discovered the 4-2-4 run with.
Jan 31, 2013, 09:21 PM
Thread OP
Kiwi,
I've posted here before that my first good flying plane was a used Voodoo with a McCoy black head 40. Actually I bought all a CL flyer had. Among 15 or 20 various Cox reedies and a few other engines, was a 3 bolt Fox 19 that the guy said was a great engine. I gave that engine to a young flyer who put in on a Ringmaster Jr. he built, It was a beauty and had a primo break. The kid learned quicker than anyone I've ever seen. Only person I've ever seen who got great without ever destroying even 1 plane!
Last edited by tigreflyer; Jan 31, 2013 at 09:35 PM.
Jan 31, 2013, 09:43 PM
Besides the Orwicks, The Anderson Spitfires and Super Cyclones will do a great 2-4 break. I fly them all regularly, and the nice thing is when the wind comes up you can lean them out into a wet two stroke for a little more zip. They will still pick up some rpm in the climb and back off a little in a dive. All three are my favorite engines. I also run Atwood Superchamps, and they will also run a 2-4 but not quite as nice as the other ones as they like a wet 2 stroke.
Jan 31, 2013, 10:02 PM
Thread OP
Beautiful sparkies and great Info! Thanks.
Feb 01, 2013, 02:06 AM
Often wrong ("wife")
ST V60 has a nice break stock and can be tuned to break harder. I think just about any of the older engines that swung larger props at lower rpm vs today's "gotta rev a million rpm" school of thought will break to be honest. Just not all were good for c/l for various reasons including weight. I have a new in box V60 that I'm about to put in a Legacy 60 and it is pretty darn light for the it's size. Should make a nice break.
Feb 01, 2013, 09:42 AM
I think the Italian built light case Super Tigre 46,51,and 56, will all do a nice break also.
Feb 01, 2013, 12:42 PM
Old Timer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
I think the Italian built light case Super Tigre 46, 51,and 56, will all do a nice break also.
I don't know why I skipped mentioning those, myself. Maybe because I obtained mine when I was winding down from building stunt planes every couple of years. I was never outstandingly competitive in any event, although I attended and entered a lot of contests from the mid-sixties to the early eighties, because it was great fun being involved.

Kiwi
Feb 01, 2013, 03:20 PM
Often wrong ("wife")
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
I think the Italian built light case Super Tigre 46,51,and 56, will all do a nice break also.

yep, this is exactly what the V60 I have is, the light case version. Getting a light Randy Smith muffler for it as well.
Feb 01, 2013, 08:38 PM
Thread OP
No one's mentioned an OS 40 or 46.
Feb 01, 2013, 09:02 PM
Old Timer
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigreflyer
No one's mentioned an OS 40 or 46.
The Max-H 40s included several that ran in 4-2-4 very well, and I did name that one. The FP 40s did not do so, nor did the FP 35 (or FSR 40). I have experience with LA 25s only. Never tried any other size LA, and never tried running the 25s any way but a two-cycle run.

Incidentally, an overly restrictive muffler on the older cross-flow iron / steel motors tended to heat everything up more, often resulting in a delayed "return" to the 4 cycle after leveling out again. One of my OS Max-S 35s did that on the stock muffler that came with it, although not with a tongue muffler.

Kiwi
Last edited by The Kiwi; Feb 01, 2013 at 10:22 PM.
Feb 01, 2013, 09:07 PM
Thread OP
How does a Brodak 40 break?

Quick Reply