Jan 28, 2013, 04:28 AM
Argue for your limitations

Cap Size for SSS (to kinda, sorta keep on topic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo
The cap is not to be used as a backup power but rather to handle high current spikes. Therfore I don't think larger caps then the one sold on HK is necessary.
Thank you. I knew that the cap was really just a filter in this application. Of course, there is some truth that a cap acts like a battery (and a lot of other things as I am sure you know) for a very brief period of time (for the folks that want to use that perspective). Ever touch a flyback transformer lead (to the TV tube)?. Then, I will keep doing what I am doing on my SSS (and other planes)
AJ
P.S. Did I screw up somewhere and say a cap was a battery?
I gotta get some pillow time. <yawn>. It must be about 11am there. Have a stack of pancakes.
Last edited by ajbaker; Jan 28, 2013 at 04:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2013, 05:29 PM
AMA - 734492

Maiden Flight!

Woo! Got my SSS in the air this afternoon and what a sweet flyer it is! Running mine on 4S with a Phoenix 60 ESC and an APC 8x6 prop (stock motor and servos) weighing in at 5lbs AUW, it is impressive! I replaced every single linkage with 2-56 threaded rods and I cut off all the control surfaces and rehinged them with packing tape. Aside from the power mod and the control surface mods I didn't really do much else to the SSS, just a custom paint scheme.

I got some sweet landing pics too, I will upload them shortly.

Eric
Jan 28, 2013, 05:33 PM
Subsurface flying expert
I am loving that paint scheme. That must be some real powdery snow.
Last edited by FlyingGolem; Jan 28, 2013 at 05:41 PM.
Jan 28, 2013, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricClark
Woo! Got my SSS in the air this afternoon and what a sweet flyer it is! Running mine on 4S with a Phoenix 60 ESC and an APC 8x6 prop (stock motor and servos) weighing in at 5lbs AUW, it is impressive! I replaced every single linkage with 2-56 threaded rods and I cut off all the control surfaces and rehinged them with packing tape. Aside from the power mod and the control surface mods I didn't really do much else to the SSS, just a custom paint scheme.

I got some sweet landing pics too, I will upload them shortly.

Eric
That wing tipping is something this SSS will do alot of,keep her level and some speed or you'll do it alot.just the way it is on this plane Nice colors man !
Jan 28, 2013, 06:32 PM
AMA - 734492
Its very powdery , tipping the wing.. yup, definitely noticed that, and thanks for the compliments on the paint scheme!

And here are the landing pictures I promised.

Eric
Jan 28, 2013, 06:36 PM
AMA - 734492
Here is my paint scheme design if anyone is interested. Feel free to copy, mod, etc!

Eric
Jan 28, 2013, 06:57 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
Hey Eric,

I have to STRONGLY Recommend reinforcing your Wing area... My setup was almost exactly like yours and it tore in flight...

Chris
Jan 28, 2013, 07:21 PM
Argue for your limitations

Questioning your environment

Quote:
Here is my paint scheme design if anyone is interested. Feel free to copy, mod, etc!

Eric
Ok. I will jump in there with everyone else. Nice, really nice paint scheme. I had to look at the picture very closely on the wing in the snow. It looks like the whole right aileron is in the snow. It even seems possible for the snow to totally "eat" the entire plane on landing. I have never seen snow that fluffy. Are you sure that is snow and not just micro styrofoam balls?

AJ
Jan 28, 2013, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
I have never seen snow that fluffy. Are you sure that is snow and not just micro styrofoam balls?

AJ
You should see champagne powder up in steamboat Springs Colorado... Its so soft just the plane coming into land would lift it off the ground and over the plane...

It feels like thick air when you push your arm through it, and skiing through it is a dream... I miss the snow... I want my SSS to enjoy fluffy landings too

Chris
Jan 28, 2013, 07:30 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:

Eric
Lovin it! Hard to miss that SSS cruising on by. Saaweeet!
Jan 28, 2013, 08:49 PM
AMA - 734492
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66
Hey Eric,

I have to STRONGLY Recommend reinforcing your Wing area... My setup was almost exactly like yours and it tore in flight...

Chris
I plan on it. I tugged on it before I flew it and deemed it acceptable for low G maneuvering (couple laps around the field) but before I really tear up the skies (if thats possible with a SSS lol) I will reinforce it in some way.

Eric
Jan 28, 2013, 08:53 PM
AMA - 734492
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
Ok. I will jump in there with everyone else. Nice, really nice paint scheme. I had to look at the picture very closely on the wing in the snow. It looks like the whole right aileron is in the snow. It even seems possible for the snow to totally "eat" the entire plane on landing. I have never seen snow that fluffy. Are you sure that is snow and not just micro styrofoam balls?

AJ
Thank you.

Oh the snow is quite real. There was a snow storm this weekend and it was completely untouched before I invaded it with my SSS.

Eric
Jan 28, 2013, 08:56 PM
AMA - 734492
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83
Lovin it! Hard to miss that SSS cruising on by. Saaweeet!
Haha, yeah, I was rather amazed how well it turned out. It looked alright "on paper" but I wasn't sure until it took to the skies... then I was stunned. It stood out so well, there was no way I was going to get disoriented!

Eric
Jan 28, 2013, 09:18 PM
Quote:
I plan on it. I tugged on it before I flew it and deemed it acceptable for low G maneuvering (couple laps around the field) but before I really tear up the skies (if thats possible with a SSS lol) I will reinforce it in some way.

Eric
Ya... thats what I thought too... Was in a nice calm circle around my field when it just failed

My new one has 4 layers of protection... Paracord soaked in gg, Fiber Tape, Epoxy coating, and then Vinyl wrap...

Chris
Jan 28, 2013, 09:25 PM
Any photos of the reinforcement? I'm building mine (kit) and have been putting small strips of CF flats embedded in the foam where (I think) the weak points are. I may end up glassing the area once I get the fuse halves together.

Quick Reply