Jan 19, 2013, 01:14 AM
miataman
MIT, I just got back from our indoor night. I didnt have good luck with the maiden. I just saw that chemteacher ask the same questions I was about to. When you say left aileron dou you mean rotor tilting to left when giving left aileron.

Mine would loop toward the right then turn around to the left. I had the best flight with rotor level and right rudder down trim. Could this be cg or is my right and lefts wrong. Any ideas?

JCS

Also maidened the cub, flys great and can go very slow. Only thing is the roll. When I roll it drops the nose. Would this be CG or motor orientation. I have couple degrees right and down. CG 1/3 of cord.
Last edited by miatamama; Jan 19, 2013 at 01:20 AM. Reason: addition.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2013, 08:52 AM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatamama
MIT, I just got back from our indoor night. I didnt have good luck with the maiden. I just saw that chemteacher ask the same questions I was about to. When you say left aileron dou you mean rotor tilting to left when giving left aileron.

Mine would loop toward the right then turn around to the left. I had the best flight with rotor level and right rudder down trim. Could this be cg or is my right and lefts wrong. Any ideas?

JCS

Also maidened the cub, flys great and can go very slow. Only thing is the roll. When I roll it drops the nose. Would this be CG or motor orientation. I have couple degrees right and down. CG 1/3 of cord.
Sorry to hear you guys are having trouble with the apache. I'll post some more pics of the rotor angles, but I guess each trim position is dependent on the build. took me a while to get mine flying properly.

As for the cub, I suggest you might want to add a slight aileron to rudder mix. cubs have a lot of adverse yaw, particularly with the big ailerons, and a 15-30% aileron to rudder mix should make coordinating the turns easier.

-Adam
Latest blog entry: Stol f-16
Jan 19, 2013, 12:44 PM
miataman
Adam, Thanks I will try the mixes for the cub. It is plenty good now but I was expecting the rolls to be smoother like the 300.
I will not give up on the apache, I am close to get it flying, after about a dozen launches I didnt want to break it so gave up.
Are we right in assuming that left aileron tilts the rotor to the left. If given right aileron the plane should turn right. That the rotor axle should follow the front of the fuselage slant and should be trimmed just a little to the left.
I do not know any principals of how an autogyro works. Only that one of our Guys has flown a 2 rotor in the GYM that is 3 times bigger and lots more powerful.
Mine has plenty of power but I was just thinking maybe I should have tried launching with part throttle instead of full might have stopped the looping. I am going to try a bigger rotor axle and rebalance. The axle wire I used flexes a little and might be changing the angle of the rotor.

JCS

Quick Reply