Jan 05, 2013, 04:49 AM
Maidened mine today. It flew really well with the CG at 72mm, not very fast though. I won't be going to 4s as my other planes are all 3s so I don't want to buy yet more packs just yet.

I came in real slow for the landing but without flaps, followed the advise on here about landing on mains before dropping the front gear and as soon as the front wheel touched down it folded. On inspection the poxy trunion had split open. I didn't fancy risking the prop on a belly landing so that was its only flight
Ah well, got the metal alternative from PW. I wonder why the mains are metal but the front is made of cheese?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2013, 07:47 AM
Angry Bird ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hixxer
... I wonder why the mains are metal but the front is made of cheese?
Don't we all, mate! - can't understand the logic behind that one. Kind-of think that it must have been a bean-counter decision, somehow.

Sorry to hear that your maiden was problematic. I'm waiting on my replacement retract unit from Philip, should be here during the week and I'll fit it before next weekend. I've belly-landed mine about four times now, don't like doing it but it hasn't caused any problems so far. It's all a bit frustrating because this machine on 4S is the best plane I've ever had - it really scorches across the sky and it's all let down by a lousy nose-wheel retract.
Jan 05, 2013, 09:11 AM
ɹǝʎןℲ ǝıssn∀
There is actually no steering "metal trunnion" retract available!!
Here:-http://www.pw-rc.com/index.php/cPath...486b362e9db64b is PW-RC's retract page!!
If you look all the way through you won't find one!! There is a small steering nose retract there, but not metal trunnion.

LURCH
Jan 05, 2013, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrumevets
Don't we all, mate! - can't understand the logic behind that one. Kind-of think that it must have been a bean-counter decision, somehow.

Sorry to hear that your maiden was problematic. I'm waiting on my replacement retract unit from Philip, should be here during the week and I'll fit it before next weekend. I've belly-landed mine about four times now, don't like doing it but it hasn't caused any problems so far. It's all a bit frustrating because this machine on 4S is the best plane I've ever had - it really scorches across the sky and it's all let down by a lousy nose-wheel retract.
Ive given up on the retracts! Still taking off with the trolley and belly landing. Im using a two bladed prop as the three blader was a bit hard on the motor mount when belly landing. This is doing 150kph on 4 cell yesterday
GoPro Hat Cam (4 min 3 sec)
Jan 07, 2013, 07:14 PM
If you guys want to know a nice looking setup for FIXED gear that work for her, let me know. Mine is now totally fixed, with the nose gear steering retained. The mods are relatively easy. She is now very similar to the E-Flite T-34 in her stance on her new legs.
Jan 07, 2013, 08:23 PM
Angry Bird ...
Thanks J_C but I'm going to persist with retracts - I love seeing them fold away on the climb out ... it's just getting them to re-appear that's the tricky bit

If I can't fix my steering retract properly for once and for all, I'm going to set it fixed in the forward direction, but still retractable.
Jan 07, 2013, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Cunny
If you guys want to know a nice looking setup for FIXED gear that work for her, let me know. Mine is now totally fixed, with the nose gear steering retained. The mods are relatively easy. She is now very similar to the E-Flite T-34 in her stance on her new legs.
How does it affect the speed? Most of my other planes lost a lot of speed with fixed landing gear!
Put up a pic of how you did it and i might consider it when im not wanting to break the 100MPH barrier
Jan 08, 2013, 05:32 PM
Wahoo my replacement retracts same today along with another new plane

Get round to fitting them this wk
Jan 10, 2013, 12:42 PM
Do you fly at Frodsham George?
Jan 10, 2013, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hixxer
Do you fly at Frodsham George?
I fly at Runcorn near norton priory museum thing. Always looking for alternatives though. Where abouts in frodsham buddy?

Rod
Jan 11, 2013, 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgeorgedoors
I fly at Runcorn near norton priory museum thing. Always looking for alternatives though. Where abouts in frodsham buddy?

Rod
Have a look here matey, I just joined last week, great bunch of people and a good field too.
http://www.rmamodelflyingclub.co.uk/gal_photo.html
Jan 11, 2013, 05:50 AM
I've heard if that infact was taking to an old bloke the other day as we were leaving and he's high up with the council and has been in numerous clubs and has just left a club that he founded, cant remember what it was though, and had said any problems we get regarding park flying just give him a call.

I'm not into clubs though too many rules of what You can and can't do. Prefere to go out when I want and fly. I've heard the Warrington club only let u fly with a buddy box and have to gain certificates etc to fly your own plane.

I guess not all clubs are like that though but suppose the right facilities are there like a runway for starters lol.

Rod
Jan 13, 2013, 12:50 AM
Angry Bird ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWhisky
I wouldn`t be at all concerned about non-steering nose or tail wheels. I intend to have the nose-wheel on my T-28 non-steerable when I get around to repairing it. It`s not an issue.

I have several other models- sport aerobatics and also an 80" O/D Spitfire with fixed tail wheels and all steer remarkably well using rudder only. Been doing it this way for maybe ten years now....

Alan W
Thanks for the advice Alan - it was on-the-money!

I wasted more time fiddling with the steerable retract and getting nowhere in terms of its reliability (sometimes it was fine, on other occasions it would jam partly extended and then refuse to move in either direction). I bit the proverbial and installed the non-steerable unit - this allowed me to remove the steering servo and the arm as well. I lined the nosewheel up directly along the airframe and applied a set-screw very tightly.

Off to the field to test today - perfect! As you say, it's still possible to manage some steering using the rudder only - I was able to turn through 90 deg with a radius of about 1.5 m which is good enough at low speed. On the takeoff roll it was easy to counter a gentle cross-wind once I was moving at speed.

All in all - a very good result and I owe you a beer!
Cheers,
Steve
Jan 15, 2013, 09:39 AM
Angry Bird ...
Does anyone know where the stock motor is available as a spare part?
HK don't list them and a bit of searching I've done hasn't got me anywhere. I'd like to put one in my PZ Trojan.
Cheers,
Steve
Jan 15, 2013, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrumevets
Does anyone know where the stock motor is available as a spare part?
HK don't list them and a bit of searching I've done hasn't got me anywhere. I'd like to put one in my PZ Trojan.
Cheers,
Steve
http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.ph...0d4c87cc7c394d

Quick Reply