Dec 29, 2012, 11:53 AM
check for reversed controls
Roads ? Clear of what ?????? Here in sunny So. Ca.they're never clear of traffic. lol
Flying yesterday afternoon .... You can see our "snow" off in the distance on Big Bear Mt. That's where we like it
20121228 0068 (4 min 16 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Dec 29, 2012, 11:59 AM
Retired CAD guy
I'd like it ALL on YOU R mountain.
Not having any mountains in Indiana we just get it spread around all over.
Like another 2" last PM :-(

Good thing I got out Yesterday and picked up two cases of Boxes.

Ahh CA , but ... Call someplace Paradise and Kiss it good bye.

L8r

Bob
Dec 29, 2012, 03:34 PM
check for reversed controls
The fickel weather god is definately a woman godess.... It's raining a steady moderate inch an hour today . I shouldn't have invoked her
Dec 29, 2012, 03:50 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
I'm over in thousand oaks. I had a great day flying yesterday and had everything packed up by the door for this morning.

rain
Dec 29, 2012, 04:48 PM
Retired CAD guy
This IS why they call NATURE a "Mother" !
Dec 29, 2012, 07:19 PM
Spearheading an Alliance

weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by acetech09 View Post
I'm over in thousand oaks. I had a great day flying yesterday and had everything packed up by the door for this morning.

rain

That is such a bummer. Not fun when the weather don't cooperate, especially with a tight busy schedule.

On the other hand I was out to California a few weeks ago and built a plane (CTH albatross) with my dad to teach him how to fly. when out to fariview park in Costa Mesa and it was in the 80's and that is about the only part of California I still like. The weather, you can have the rest. Had a blast.

On the other other hand, it was -10 here this morning!

BG
Dec 29, 2012, 07:30 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoGolf View Post
... Mesa and it was in the 80's and that is about the only part of California I still like. The weather, you can have the rest.
BG
I think the same way... but the weather is just so nice.
Dec 29, 2012, 09:02 PM
Well it was nice a and sunny here today but the winds were 20 knots and gusting to 30. So no fly today. Started work on ky fpv setup. Finished work on my fpv setup when the whole thing went poof. Backto the drawing board. Looks like I fried the video TX and camera. The camera was one I got from HK. Use to do some really nice video. It was the HD wing camera from HK. Bummer. The video system was the $62.00 outfit. Now its toast. Guess I'll start over. I need to find a all in one set. I'll headover to the gopro thread and see what they say.

Tom
Jan 01, 2013, 07:49 PM
I am having an electronics problem, perhaps someone can lend a helping hand.
First allow me to describe the problem, and then I will explain my setup. I am having a motor issue where the rpm of one motor seems to surge... I have noticed this and my last airframe of the twins.

If you listen on this video you will hear the motors surging. It is a continual thing rpm's drop and the rise again and again. This is on one motor only...

Twins Flight (5 min 36 sec)

Throttles come out of the throttle channel into a y cable to the two HK 10A ESC's. I have lifted the power wire from one of the esc cables so to not overload the receiver. No V-tail for differential thrust on this so far. The one thing that I have noticed is that this happens when I run my 20c 800 mah 3s through it. If I run with a 15c it doesn't do it. Anyone have any ideas?
Jan 01, 2013, 08:52 PM
How do I land this thing?
I have an HK 10a (in the clear heat shrink) and I never use it because it surges at high RPM. I bet changing the esc's will fix the problem.
Jan 05, 2013, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwilletts View Post
I am having an electronics problem, perhaps someone can lend a helping hand.
First allow me to describe the problem, and then I will explain my setup. I am having a motor issue where the rpm of one motor seems to surge... I have noticed this and my last airframe of the twins.

If you listen on this video you will hear the motors surging. It is a continual thing rpm's drop and the rise again and again. This is on one motor only...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ymvjq__Hg-k

Throttles come out of the throttle channel into a y cable to the two HK 10A ESC's. I have lifted the power wire from one of the esc cables so to not overload the receiver. No V-tail for differential thrust on this so far. The one thing that I have noticed is that this happens when I run my 20c 800 mah 3s through it. If I run with a 15c it doesn't do it. Anyone have any ideas?
1.) If you are able to determine which ESC/motor it is, try swapping one component at a time and see if the problem follows. In Example: Swap left and right motors then swap left and right ESCs.

2.) Maybe you hitting the peak current of the ESC . Maybe the ESCs are too small.

3.) Maybe its the ESC thats powering the servos that has too much load on it. I asked Castle Creations if I could use both BEC's at the same time on my Twins Cargo and they said it would be fine. I don't know about any other brand. I imagine they all work about the same way
Last edited by PropSpinner; Jan 05, 2013 at 08:05 AM.
Jan 05, 2013, 11:36 AM
Both are great suggestions, hadn't considered the servos as coming into play as it would do it with no servo movement. But that doesn't mean anything truly. I do have a question... Is it possible to take say the gear channel and plug one motor then mix the gear and the throttle together and tie them to the rudder. I have a dx8. I just am not that good at the whole mix situation. I can do one, but I get confused on multiple mixes.

I see it like this

Mix 1: throttle to gear
Mix 2: rudder to throttles?

I am going to play with my mixes to see if I can get it to work out in the monitor. Screen. Thanks for the advise, I have replaced the esc in question. What I found to be odd was that when I was at the flying field it didn't do this, but aft a few flights and returning home it started to do it on the bench. Hopefully the change of the esc will correct the problem. If anyone has info on how to mix these with a dx8 for differential throttle let me know. I should think that it should be possible. I haven't found much it wouldn't do yet. Thanks guys! Will post results from test flight if I decide to go get shin deepen snow in the backyard for a test flight....
Jan 05, 2013, 05:04 PM
Keep it simple, Keep it light!

First Twin Cargo Plane

This is my first Twin Cargo Plane, and its a lot a fun! Thanks foam and tape for the great design, and thanks larryross for all your hard work on the plans.
Of course I had to make a few changes of my own. My twin is made of EPP, with a 48" ws (85%) of the original.

Here are the Mix's I used to get the rudder and throttle differential on a DX7s.
Note: I saved the gear port for the back door and used the AXI port for the left motor.
Mix 1
THR > AXI
Rate 100%
100%
Mix 2
RUD > THR
Rate 60%
60%
Mix 3
RUD > AXI
Rate - 60%
- 60%

I was able to brave the wind and cold today for some video. Enjoy!!!
Cargo Plane (3 min 1 sec)
Last edited by aircontrol; Jan 05, 2013 at 07:50 PM.
Jan 05, 2013, 06:07 PM
Ok, so after a bit of work, it was the esc. Replaced it and then had to do some additional balance work do to reinforcing of the tail feathers. Was able to get a few flights in today. As ou can hear in my video the motors are working perfectly. Thanks for the heads up.... I am currently thinking of trying the throttle mix as you stated in my dx8. It looks good to me, just curious why you went with 60% on the mixes?

Anyway here is fpv of my twins over Dayton, ohio

Twins V2 balanced (3 min 10 sec)
Jan 05, 2013, 06:46 PM
Keep it simple, Keep it light!
The throttle is mixed at 60% of the rudder so that the motors arent so touchy when turning, they just help the rudder insted of doing all the turning. You may have to play with the % to get the right response and feel for your plane.

Quick Reply