Dec 31, 2012, 04:46 PM
Spearheading an Alliance

winter time sloping

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenshoe
Snow doesn't stop the flying around here.. our sloping group still goes out often. Here is our thread. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...245932&page=47 Parts of Wisconsin got 20 inches of snow three days before Christmas.. With that said, Florida, even if cold, sounds kinda nice about now.
Checked out your thread and videos. Nice stuff.

thanks for posting,

BG
to remove ads between posts
Dec 31, 2012, 06:42 PM
Build is coming along well...i thought i would take my time but i find myself just going on and on so i may have this done as soon as i expect... i completed the tail section....somewhat annoying but it's on...The control horns look ok to me and the hardware...the plastic parts are somewhat fragile but i don't know if that would be a threat to just gliding around....So far i can't see any signs of any parts possibly failing...Only thing that i see that might be an issue is the Servos are really close to the frame when moving from side to side...i haven't hooked up to my RX yet but there's not a lot of Room and seems like it would bind....See photos..
Dec 31, 2012, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton
Build is coming along well...i thought i would take my time but i find myself just going on and on so i may have this done as soon as i expect... i completed the tail section....somewhat annoying but it's on...The control horns look ok to me and the hardware...the plastic parts are somewhat fragile but i don't know if that would be a threat to just gliding around....So far i can't see any signs of any parts possibly failing...Only thing that i see that might be an issue is the Servos are really close to the frame when moving from side to side...i haven't hooked up to my RX yet but there's not a lot of Room and seems like it would bind....See photos..
yes my servos are the same way.very close but so far no hitting or binding. i see a few posts above this a guy turned the servo tray over,lowering it down basically and it gave him way more clearance. the horns are fine it is the clevis,s that i was afraid of,so i put a piece of surgical tube over them so the could not come unhooked.
Dec 31, 2012, 07:19 PM
. the horns are fine it is the clevis,s that i was afraid of,so i put a piece of surgical tube over them so the could not come unhooked.[/QUOTE]

yes that did look a little Fragile..that's a good idea..i have some of that too...i will take that advice gladly.
hey let me ask you...how fast can you put together an Arf like this...i'm wondering if it can be done in 1 night...i have to stop now but if were to keep going,,i wonder if i could have completed this in 1 evening....
hmmm,,,,,interesting...could of had it flying tomorrow...
Dec 31, 2012, 07:40 PM
Quote:
. the horns are fine it is the clevis,s that i was afraid of,so i put a piece of surgical tube over them so the could not come unhooked.
yes that did look a little Fragile..that's a good idea..i have some of that too...i will take that advice gladly.
hey let me ask you...how fast can you put together an Arf like this...i'm wondering if it can be done in 1 night...i have to stop now but if were to keep going,,i wonder if i could have completed this in 1 evening....
hmmm,,,,,interesting...could of had it flying tomorrow...[/QUOTE]

i did yes sir took me about 5 hours including soldering for a new esc
Dec 31, 2012, 09:36 PM

servo tray

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd
yes my servos are the same way.very close but so far no hitting or binding. i see a few posts above this a guy turned the servo tray over,lowering it down basically and it gave him way more clearance.
best mod for this plane is to turn the servo tray upside down the extra clearance helps when connecting aileron and flap servo wires. I also made a plastic tray that fit above the servos to make sure my wires didn't get caught and inhibit servo function.
Dec 31, 2012, 09:44 PM
Wow that's a great Mod..thanks for sharing...ok well it looks like i'm about done...My only problem is i have had Signal lockout before. I have the AR500 and this is not a typical foam. This seems like a Hard Plastic so i dont know how well my AR500 is going to penetrate signal thru this material...Where do you guys mount your RX...near the battery area? i want to cut a hole in the fuse and have the long wire from the AR500 stick out for better signal....
please advise..
Dec 31, 2012, 11:19 PM
Quote:
Wow that's a great Mod..thanks for sharing...ok well it looks like i'm about done...My only problem is i have had Signal lockout before. I have the AR500 and this is not a typical foam. This seems like a Hard Plastic so i dont know how well my AR500 is going to penetrate signal thru this material...Where do you guys mount your RX...near the battery area? i want to cut a hole in the fuse and have the long wire from the AR500 stick out for better signal....
please advise..
well im using a turnigy9x and my rx is back under the servo tray . a real pain to get out if need to change anything.
Dec 31, 2012, 11:23 PM

receiver placement

Quote:
please advise..
I used an ar6200 with the satellite receiver. the receiver is in front of the servos and the satellite is behind the servos on the bottom of the fuse. I think your idea of a small hole through the plastic for the long ant. would be good. you shouldn't have any problem with the plastic fuse though. I think that only carbon fuselages give the 2.4 receivers problems.
Dec 31, 2012, 11:26 PM
ok that's good to know...thanks...it's a brand new AR500 and that's the last thing i need is a Range problem...mann, can u believe i'm actually done? but let me tell you..the hardware i'm now realizing is somewhat crappy...i really need those surgical tubes to hold in those whatumacallit? again?...they are very week...i hope they dont break in flight...lol...
Dec 31, 2012, 11:27 PM

receiver mounting

here is my location so i can access it easily the remote receiver is below and behind the servos.
Jan 01, 2013, 12:56 AM
i will probably leave alone for now and see how the 1st few flights go...i did manage to get this done in 1 night...everything is done but i'm in need for more wire extensions so i'm grounded for a few days...with all the wiring, your would think i would have enough but once i tried to connect everything to the rx,,i just didnt make it...i still have minor details to work out like more exterior graphics and trimming..
Jan 01, 2013, 12:50 PM
ok, well i was able to finish this ARF in 1 night...Flew it this morning and here's my Feedback.

Used a 3s 2200mah Lipo and basically just put in the middle where the default Velcro was...CG was ok...
Took to Large Park and to my surprise it went out of my hands pretty well with no bad habits..
Pros..........For the most part it flew pretty well. It could use more throw in the Ailerons but it still flew well..I probably will adjust the linkage to the one that gives it the most throw..
Flew nice and fast and was large enough to see really good...Almost could not tell the difference from this Glider than a more high end glider like Espirit Models Albatros...Both would look the same pretty much cause of it's long wing...Landed safely with a couple of turns. Nothing was hot but i only flew for like 5 minutes...Flying against the Wind, it seemed to climb very well and it covers Air Space really quick.

Cons..........A little Sloppy when it comes to turning. Not very accurate. Sometimes it would turn on it's own based on the strength of the Wind and even when i gave it opposite Aileron, it still seems to be a little Sloppy. So turning is not really smooth like my Diamond 2500....
It was windy today so that may have contributed to the sloppiness, but when i flew my Diamond 2500 in winds it was still smooth to the turn...Not sure if that's a good glider to glider comparison.
Also this glider is too fast..i was hoping it would slow down enough for me to do low slow flying...seemed more like a large Hotliner...That could also have been due to strong winds coming in towards the wind,,,so because this was my 1st Maiden, i cant be completely accurate on the Cons...

Last Cons,,,,,,The Wires are sloppy when putting on the Wing...you almost have to customize it out side the default way to get those wires where it wont interfere with Servo movement....Fortunately when i was able to get decent clearance,,,i am able to leave my Wing on and it fits in SUV no problems fully installed with the 2.6m Wing..

2nd Flight will be on a more Calm day and i'll give a 2nd Feedback.....

Overall opinion......

The 2.6m Long wing is a Joy to look at while Flying...In the air you really cant tell the difference between this Glider and a $900 Thermik X for Ex....which is also like 110" WS...
its looks very competition like in the Air...for $149 Pnp and $30 Shipping...it's for sure worth every penny..i would buy another one in a heart beat.
With some Tweaks like adjusting the wires,,maybe getting more extensions,,,maybe investing in better hardware for the control surfaces...
Advanced programming in your TX,,,,,you can really really enjoy this large 102" Wing Span Glider. it's very very Lite and has no bad habit's, especially when hand launching...

So that's my Feedback on the Phoenix Evolution 2.6M Bird...i have no interest in converting to 1.6m...The 2.6m is on permanently. if i Fly it enough and i dont end up selling it..i will make all the needed adjustments i mentioned above...
Last edited by rhampton; Jan 01, 2013 at 01:01 PM.
Jan 01, 2013, 02:24 PM
rhampton:

I was also surprised how fast this thing is,i never flew it with shorter wings but ill bet it is crazy fast ! I noticed in turns one does have to have some power on or keep her level.but with just a little throttle mine will turn on its wing tip no problem. and yes the wind will blow this light baby around it is 2 degrees here today,calm but very cold with 96 percent humidity (unheard of in Idaho !) friend wants to go fly,i think im going to pass it is just way to cold for my old bones
Jan 01, 2013, 03:16 PM
Camber down and screw it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd
rhampton:

... it is 2 degrees here today,calm but very cold with 96 percent humidity (unheard of in Idaho !) ....
Meteorology 101: Cold air can't hold as much water as warmer air. Relative humidity is the amount of water in the air compared to the maximum amount POSSIBLE at that temperature. So, down at 2 deg (I assume you mean F) the air can barely hold any water at all, thus the high relative humidity number.

Now back to our regularly scheduled shivering and waiting for spring....

Happy new year to all!
--
Greg

Quick Reply