Dec 20, 2012, 07:42 AM
Flying is Freedom
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
The pilot is awesome!!!!!! I don't want to follow him, but it looks like I have no choice if I want to contribute to this thread.

http://youtu.be/uh-zz-UcL3g
Very nice, now all you have to do is learn how to land it closer to yourself so you don't have to walk so far lol
to remove ads between posts
Dec 20, 2012, 09:05 AM
nom
nom
Agree, the landing was a bit far for my lazy butt...
Dec 20, 2012, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nom View Post
Agree, the landing was a bit far for my lazy butt...
Just taxi back right?
Oops

Seriously I have to get some video this weekend. I flew yesterday evening, nice clear afternoon after school. I really enjoy flying this plane. I keep adding in more aileron because the initial settings are pretty weak. Nice to fly scale but once in a while....

Glad I bought her.

BTW is the stack CG a little conservative? I am thinking of wadding up some tissue and pulling back the battery a little.
Dec 20, 2012, 10:11 AM
nom
nom
What size lipos are you using?
Dec 20, 2012, 10:39 AM
Quote:
What size lipos are you using?
I've ben using an old 2100 low C that puts it in the right place (sing 47 mm from the manual). It's in the same weight class as my 1500. Most of my batts are pretty big right now. What do you recommend?
Dec 20, 2012, 11:38 AM
They call me Lipo...
I don't know why people on this thread and even the T-28 thread keep wanting to move batteries back...

Yes the CG is conservative, yes it's nose-heavy, but remember, that's where planes are classically balanced. Not tail-heavy as is the case with 3D...3D pilots (and I fly with quite a few of them on Saturdays) like their models a little tail-heavy. Twitchy and on the edge is where they like to fly their Edges...

Something like the Wildcat is best flown where the factory says the CG should be. And trust me, Parkzone knows way more about where their planes should balance than either of us. I started my Wildcat journey on 1800s because I thought I liked the extra weight in the nose; now I fly it exclusively on 1300s, whether there's a wind or not. It's still just a tad nose-heavy, it still penetrates really well and I like the way it flys at this weight....the designed weight. Which, BTW, shows the little 'cat's qualities as you can fly it on anything from 1300s to 2200s --- that's a remarkable range.

It's all pilot preference, but there's no need to go tampering with the CG...if you do, you just might open a pandora's box 'o problems...and I can't help you there.

Cheers and happy Wildcatting !
Last edited by Justwingit; Dec 20, 2012 at 06:17 PM.
Dec 20, 2012, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
Just taxi back right?
Oops

Seriously I have to get some video this weekend. I flew yesterday evening, nice clear afternoon after school. I really enjoy flying this plane. I keep adding in more aileron because the initial settings are pretty weak. Nice to fly scale but once in a while....

Glad I bought her.

BTW is the stack CG a little conservative? I am thinking of wadding up some tissue and pulling back the battery a little.
I thought the same thing, why not just taxi it back? The I remembered that most of the Wildcats out there don't have landing gear. I'm sure glad that I added landing gear to my Wildcat, particularly for those "distant" landings.
Dec 20, 2012, 12:18 PM
nom
nom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
I don't know why people on this thread and even the T-28 thread keep wanting to move batteries back...

Yes the CG is conservative, yes it's nose-heavy, but remember, that's where planes are classically balanced. Not tail-heavy as is the case with 3D...3D pilots (and I fly with quite a few of them on Saturdays) like their models a little tail-heavy. Twitchy and on the edge is where they like to fly their Edges...

Something like the Wildcat is best flown where the factory says the CG should be. And trust me, Parkzone knows way more about where their planes should balance than either of us. I started my Wildcat journey on 1800s because I thought I liked the extra weight in the nose; now I fly it exclusively on 1300s, whether there's a wind or not. It's still just a tad nose-heavy, it still penetrates really well and I like the way it flys at this weight....the designed weight. Which, BTW, shows the little 'cat's qualities as you can fly it on anything from 1300s to 2200s --- that's a remarkable range.

It's all pillot preference, but there's no need to go tampering with the CG...if you do, you just might open a pandora's box 'o problems...and I can't help you there.

Cheers and happy Wildcatting !
I agree that you can fly it with a range of lipos, I started flying it on 1300s and then went to 2100s as I have alot more 2100s. Didn't need to change a thing, it flies well on 2100s or 1300s. It was my first park flyer and I still like to fly it.
Dec 20, 2012, 12:44 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Quote:
I agree that you can fly it with a range of lipos, I started flying it on 1300s and then went to 2100s......
Ditto........except I started at the heavier end of the range, but, over time, decided that I liked it better light -- so now I usually go with 1300s and 1500s.

Dec 20, 2012, 01:32 PM
I do prefer them light and I have no desire to fly 3D. Parkzone is known to use a conservative CG and I usually stick to it at first. I have found that SMALL backward adjustment makes for a better glide and more nimble response. I don't start any adjustment on a new bird until I am comfortable with the fluing characteristics. Slow, stalls, landings etc. As I am no test pilot I seek the advice of those who have gone before me.
Dec 20, 2012, 01:43 PM
I agree, this bird can fly heavy or light. But I prefer it light and floaty as well.
Dec 20, 2012, 02:51 PM
After flying WWI birds I find the Wildcat does not want to slow down when I cut the throtle but I am getting to where I can glide it to a landing in the grass but that dont slow to a fast stop. This thing is like the pink bunny, it just keeps going and going. I though I had made a perfect landing till it hit my ankle and I thought broke the cowl, but no, it only pulled the tape loose where I have fixed the cowl LOL. Going to have to land about 5 feet shorter and I wont get hit or have to walk to get it. If I was younger I could have got out of the way but my quick days are long behind me.
Dec 20, 2012, 03:57 PM
They call me Lipo...
Just got back from puttin' 2 Turnigy 13's and 4 Zippy 13's thru her...

It's the first zero wind day we've had out here in the desert in about a week; bright beautiful sun, but brisk at 35 degrees f; yes, it gets cold here in the desert as well...

I'm really liking these Zippy 20Cs; gettin' a rock solid 10 minutes outta 'em, and with mixed throttle flying sport/scale aerobatics she's still comin' down with the batteries at 25-30%. The Turnigys, however, are really gettin' soft when they get below 40%....kinda lets you know when it's time to start settin' up an approach...

Just upgraded to XT-60 connectors on pretty much everything so it's just a matter of grab some batteries and go! For the 'Cat I've got Turnigy 1300s, Zippy 13's, Tenergy 13's and E-flite 1250's and 18's. Kinda hard to pick and choose when it's flyin' time !

With the 13's and completely stock set-up she flys wonderfully and am really starting to enjoy beautiful scale rolls and loops. I always thought she needed more thrust in the form of a three bladed prop, but honestly, once you get used to the way she flys, she's plenty powerful as is...slow her down on base and then get into your groove on final and this thing will float on down with the best of 'em.

How could anyone not like this model --- puts on grin on my face every time I fly it !
Dec 20, 2012, 05:25 PM
Glad to hear yout flights went well. Its been pretty windy here in the midwest so I havent got mine out lately. I'm gonna ask santa for some calm weather!
Dec 20, 2012, 07:16 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
Quote:
Originally Posted by degreen60 View Post
After flying WWI birds I find the Wildcat does not want to slow down when I cut the throtle but I am getting to where I can glide it to a landing in the grass but that dont slow to a fast stop. This thing is like the pink bunny, it just keeps going and going. I though I had made a perfect landing till it hit my ankle and I thought broke the cowl, but no, it only pulled the tape loose where I have fixed the cowl LOL. Going to have to land about 5 feet shorter and I wont get hit or have to walk to get it. If I was younger I could have got out of the way but my quick days are long behind me.
You could enable spoilerons - flip 'em up and they act just like air brakes. I do that now and then for fun. (Don't do flapperons; they just cause trouble)

Quick Reply