Jan 30, 2012, 07:48 PM
Thread OP
Question

FlySky- JR transmitter module compatability

I have done some searching and have not been able to arrive at a definitive answer. I purchased a FlySky module hoping to use it in my 9303 but the module gets warm and the voltage indicator on the screen behaves strangely. I have found some threads here that state incompatibility and reference to a mod but I can't seem to come up with anything. Can anyone offer advise or point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Jay
to remove ads between posts
Jan 30, 2012, 09:50 PM
The FrSky module should work. I don't think the FlySky will, though, as one of the pins isn't the same.
Jan 30, 2012, 10:48 PM
68 years an RC flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseih
The FrSky module should work. I don't think the FlySky will, though, as one of the pins isn't the same.
FrSky is fine.

But the FlySky module will damage the transmitter and probably itself unless suitably modified. DON'T USE IT.

Modification requires opening up the module, cutting the connection to pin 2 (counting from the top) to avoid shorting the JR voltage regulator (why your transmitter is heating up!). It also requires installing two resistors to lower the PPM voltage going to the module (JR uses about 8v, while FlySky needs less than 3v). Not a big job but be sure you know what you're doing.

Best solution with the JR is to go FrSky, which is a superior system with longer range and proper failsafe. Also telemetry if you want it. No problem as it's designed to be compatible with JR and others, while FlySky is not.

Most of the information is fairly old as people have generally given up on this combination, since the FrSky is superior and the FlySky can be used in the cheap 9x transmitter. Here's one, though.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/f...az6f73a65c2f33
Jan 31, 2012, 12:54 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66
FrSky is fine.

But the FlySky module will damage the transmitter and probably itself unless suitably modified. DON'T USE IT.

Modification requires opening up the module, cutting the connection to pin 2 (counting from the top) to avoid shorting the JR voltage regulator (why your transmitter is heating up!). It also requires installing two resistors to lower the PPM voltage going to the module (JR uses about 8v, while FlySky needs less than 3v). Not a big job but be sure you know what you're doing.

Best solution with the JR is to go FrSky, which is a superior system with longer range and proper failsafe. Also telemetry if you want it. No problem as it's designed to be compatible with JR and others, while FlySky is not.

Most of the information is fairly old as people have generally given up on this combination, since the FrSky is superior and the FlySky can be used in the cheap 9x transmitter. Here's one, though.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/f...az6f73a65c2f33
Thanks!
I have several of the FlySky receivers and just want to make use of them for the park flyers. I have a Futaba 7C that I installed the FrSky hack module in and it is great. I will be ordering a module for the 9303 as well as more telemetry products. The FlySky is fine though for the cheapy foamies that I like to fool with.
Jay
Jan 31, 2012, 08:56 AM
68 years an RC flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers
Thanks!
I have several of the FlySky receivers and just want to make use of them for the park flyers. I have a Futaba 7C that I installed the FrSky hack module in and it is great. I will be ordering a module for the 9303 as well as more telemetry products. The FlySky is fine though for the cheapy foamies that I like to fool with.
Jay
Just want to be sure you understand that you MUST NOT use the FlySky module with the JR 9303 transmitter unless you modify the module internally. Otherwise you will very likely damage both the transmitter and the module.

There is no problem using an FrSky module in the JR transmitter without modification.

I emphasize this because many people confuse FlySky with FrSky.
Jan 31, 2012, 09:56 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Just want to be sure you understand that you MUST NOT use the FlySky module with the JR 9303 transmitter unless you modify the module internally. Otherwise you will very likely damage both the transmitter and the module.

There is no problem using an FrSky module in the JR transmitter without modification.

Understood. Going to do the mod. Thanks!
Jan 31, 2012, 01:28 PM
68 years an RC flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers
Understood. Going to do the mod. Thanks!
I thought you probably did but wanted to be quite sure, especially for anyone else reading the thread.
Dec 18, 2012, 06:48 PM
Quote:

I was also told to look for a Flysky JR module for my 8103 so I could bind to a WLToys V911 instead of buying yet another cheap transmitter. Turnigy 9X

How inferior is the 9X to my XP8103 as far as mixing programming? Is the JR modification to the module difficult?
Dec 18, 2012, 07:55 PM
68 years an RC flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantScale
I was also told to look for a Flysky JR module for my 8103 so I could bind to a WLToys V911 instead of buying yet another cheap transmitter. Turnigy 9X

How inferior is the 9X to my XP8103 as far as mixing programming? Is the JR modification to the module difficult?
The modification to allow the FlySky module to be used should not be too difficult, though I haven't actually done it.

The 9x, even in stock form, is quite a capable transmitter, though it has some quirks and is poorly documented. If you do the conversion to install alternative firmware, it becomes more powerful than the JR as far as programming is concerned.
Dec 23, 2012, 01:39 PM
Quote:
The modification to allow the FlySky module to be used should not be too difficult, though I haven't actually done it.

The 9x, even in stock form, is quite a capable transmitter, though it has some quirks and is poorly documented. If you do the conversion to install alternative firmware, it becomes more powerful than the JR as far as programming is concerned.
Could you walk me through the modifications for the flysky/JR module please?
Iv been reading about the 9X and learned the new 9XR will supersede it so Im going to wait.
Dec 23, 2012, 06:17 PM
Here's the link to mod the HK 2.4 (Flysky v.1) module for use in JR tx's:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1087351

I don't know what the v.2 board looks like, but this may help.

Jim
Dec 23, 2012, 11:01 PM
68 years an RC flyer
I will take a look inside the V2 module and see what needs to be done. The same basic approach should work, but the board is different from the V1.

It might take a couple of days, as there are other priorities coming up! Enjoy the holidays.
Jan 21, 2013, 02:43 PM
Quote:
I will take a look inside the V2 module and see what needs to be done. The same basic approach should work, but the board is different from the V1.

It might take a couple of days, as there are other priorities coming up! Enjoy the holidays.

Got any info on v2 yet?

Quick Reply