Dec 03, 2012, 03:24 PM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
Thread OP
I got mine at my LHS. They were able to give me a break on the price which they aren't allowed to advertise. I would check with yours if you can.

Kman
to remove ads between posts
Dec 11, 2012, 08:54 PM
Anyone know what mods are needed from stock to make it better? I thought I heard motor mount/wheels but is there anything else?

Or is it fine/safe ok to fly stock/as-is for basic 3D?

Mine arrives tomorrow

Thanks
Dec 12, 2012, 01:52 AM
HellBentPuppet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojoem4n
Anyone know what mods are needed from stock to make it better? I thought I heard motor mount/wheels but is there anything else?

Or is it fine/safe ok to fly stock/as-is for basic 3D?

Mine arrives tomorrow

Thanks
I have been beating the snot out of mine. Stock motor, esc, servos.

I did ditch the wheel pants and added some bigger wheels due to my runway.

Just go fly it!

I plan on doing upgrades but its fine out of the box, just balance your prop/spinner.
Dec 12, 2012, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullup!
I have been beating the snot out of mine. Stock motor, esc, servos.

I did ditch the wheel pants and added some bigger wheels due to my runway.

Just go fly it!

I plan on doing upgrades but its fine out of the box, just balance your prop/spinner.
Dynam bipes are pretty tough birds. Beefing up landing gear mount, and possibly around wing mounts in fusalege, and on some models the motor mount is about all you need to worry about. Have heard of cracked hinges in on some so blendurm or similar tape on hinges may be worthwhile. I flexed hinges to free them up and them applied thin coat of canopy glue to "fill in" the cracks along hinge line.
Tim

Oh and some widget or tape to keep hatches in place, I apply clear packing tape and slit along opening leaving one layer on plane forever, then just use smaller pieces of tape over top, that way the paint stays fresh. And I do coat entire plane with semi gloss latex clear.
Dec 24, 2012, 04:06 PM
Boy, this thread is dying a Slow Death.....!
Dec 26, 2012, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdee14
Boy, this thread is dying a Slow Death.....!
Pitts and Waco Dynam groups are alive, Devil is high on want list, the other 2 are great and I am sure Devil is also.

Tim
Dec 26, 2012, 02:43 PM
I got my 2nd Devil - first one was destroyed in a fire accident.. Just got to build it up - hopefully this weekend.

Also got the DX8 for Christmas!
Dec 30, 2012, 10:01 AM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
I got one for Christmas as well and I'm waiting for snow to melt so I can have a runway! Are the throws in the manual where everyone is ending up?
Dec 30, 2012, 10:47 AM
Turn up the G's !!!!
I believe the throws in the manual are on the very tame side. I ended up just going full thows out of the box. It is very snappy and will turn on a dime this way I would guess though that for a gentle maiden experience, the throws in the manual would work fine.
Jan 04, 2013, 04:26 PM
Fly It Like You Stole It!

Got One On The Way...

...& according to Mr. Brown it should be at the house on Monday...

Had a great run with my Dynam Peaks 42, RIP 01/03/2013... Since she's no longer I knew it was time to upgrade to the Devil 3D... Now all I can think about is that INXS song "Devil Inside." Can't wait to fly this evil sibling from Dynam. ..

Okay Devil Dogs,
Let me know if there are any must do's or don'ts for this sassy ship. Had to do plenty for the Peaks but I'm hoping for more of a plug-n-play ship with the Devil this time 'round...
Jan 04, 2013, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R
...& according to Mr. Brown it should be at the house on Monday...

Had a great run with my Dynam Peaks 42, RIP 01/03/2013... Since she's no longer I knew it was time to upgrade to the Devil 3D... Now all I can think about is that INXS song "Devil Inside." Can't wait to fly this evil sibling from Dynam. ..

Okay Devil Dogs,
Let me know if there are any must do's or don'ts for this sassy ship. Had to do plenty for the Peaks but I'm hoping for more of a plug-n-play ship with the Devil this time 'round...
Great -- make sure to write up a comparison between the both. Iwould say there just about identical but I never had the Peaks.
I would do the motor and landing gear mods on the Devil for sure. The wings are re-enforce with carbon fiber rods so that is good as is. That's all I did on my Devil.
Jan 04, 2013, 07:40 PM
HellBentPuppet
Last two days I have been having a blast with the devil.

Have been working on very nice inverted flat spins, does them very well.

I did have a slight mishap today with it, I taxied my 1400mm S-Bach up a little hot on my snowy runway and helped my already cracked cowling on the Devil turn into a bunch of little bits.

That was the only damage to both planes. Ordered up a new cowl and grabbed a new motor as well. The original had a weird vibration I chased around and around, so I gave up and just ordered a new one.
Jan 05, 2013, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullup!
Last two days I have been having a blast with the devil.

Have been working on very nice inverted flat spins, does them very well.

I did have a slight mishap today with it, I taxied my 1400mm S-Bach up a little hot on my snowy runway and helped my already cracked cowling on the Devil turn into a bunch of little bits.

That was the only damage to both planes. Ordered up a new cowl and grabbed a new motor as well. The original had a weird vibration I chased around and around, so I gave up and just ordered a new one.
Have you checked for a loose magnet...they are famous for that, must take a small screwdriver and pry a little on each....the loose one, if any, should be evident.
Jan 06, 2013, 08:02 PM
South texas Mediocre Pilot
Dynam Devil maiden (5 min 15 sec)
My maiden flight with the devil first time flying 3d and first time with a bi-plane.
Last edited by GulfCoastFlyer; Jan 06, 2013 at 08:08 PM.
Jan 10, 2013, 02:31 PM
Fly It Like You Stole It!

Devil is in the House...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl449
Great -- make sure to write up a comparison between the both. Iwould say there just about identical but I never had the Peaks.
I would do the motor and landing gear mods on the Devil for sure. The wings are re-enforce with carbon fiber rods so that is good as is. That's all I did on my Devil.
& she's quite the wicked beast...

Started assembling my Devil last night. Really nothing to it as she's very similar to the Peaks I had...sniff...sniff... Did notice some quality control issues some of which have been mentioned here before:
  • The paint scheme is pretty sloppy with lots of bleed through from color to color.
  • The wingtips are curved downward (maybe warped?) at the last 6 inches of both upper & lower wings. Seems to be symmetrical so I guess it won't affect flight too adversely. Same goes for the elevator. Had this same issue with the Peaks but needed to add carbon fiber strips to straighten that one out.
  • Seems the rudder servo extension isn't quite long enough to reach the Rx comfortably. (I stole an extension from the Peaks tear-down pile so she still lives on through the Devil...)
  • Left that odd ESC Rx (regulator/rectifier?) lead on, hooked it up & didn't notice anything different in the motor or throttle operation.
  • The battery hatch has a good-sized factory nick in the front right corner...
  • The hardware seems to be on the small size, both in diameter & length. (That's definitely NOT something you want her to say, either...)
Servos & motor are all bench tested so I'm about halfway through the assembly process now & should be done in one more evening. Still need to finish the tail feathers & get the CG sorted out. Kind of wondering about that since the battery bay is fairly smallI compared to the Peaks... I opted not to use the stock jet pilot & used a "figure" more suitable to my tastes instead... I'll post a few Devil photos when I'm done...
Hoping to maiden her this weekend, weather & time permitting so stand by for now...

Quick Reply