Dec 07, 2012, 12:58 AM
It's an addiction I wanted
Don't feel bad, it's an easy mistake to make considering without being told you'd never be able to look at it and see that there's covering. I'm pretty sure the sealing strips they provided had covering but it's been a year since I built my Addiction X so I'm not 100% sure.

Try a razor blade or tape to try and separate the backing. Dragging your finger over a corner can sometimes put away the backing. (it's a real pain though)
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2012, 11:37 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casllab View Post
Hahahahaha There's backing on the covering ??? I didn't know that but then again this is the first time I'm using covering.
Lots of people dont realize this when covering their first plane; I certainly made the exact same mistake when I recovered my AddictionX, as it was the first time I had ever covered anything.
Dec 07, 2012, 11:39 AM
More Planes Than Sense
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Lots of people dont realize this when covering their first plane; I certainly made the exact same mistake when I recovered my AddictionX, as it was the first time I had ever covered anything.
Thanks for the BIG tip. I got the sealing strips to bind when I built the plane, but couldn't figure out why I could not get the roll of covering to bind when I did repairs later.
Dec 07, 2012, 11:50 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
I have done many more covering jobs since I first did my Addiction, and I have also found that the solid colors of covering are far easier to remove the backing. For some reason, the backing on transparent coverings put up much more of a fight to remove; but once you get a corner pulled back, the whole thing peals off with no problem.
Dec 07, 2012, 01:08 PM
Rocket Programmer
Quote:
Hahahahaha There's backing on the covering ??? I didn't know that but then again this is the first time I'm using covering. That would probably explain why such an apparently easy job didn't seem as easy. Oh boy, I feel like a bit of chop right now..
There wasn't any backing on mine, but it was pretty hard to figure out which was the sticky side. It sticks down ok, but I had to come and seal it with some CA after a season of keeping the plane in the car
Dec 07, 2012, 07:01 PM
Chester UK

separating covering and backing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
I have done many more covering jobs since I first did my Addiction, and I have also found that the solid colors of covering are far easier to remove the backing. For some reason, the backing on transparent coverings put up much more of a fight to remove; but once you get a corner pulled back, the whole thing peals off with no problem.
The easiest way I've found to separate covering and backing is get to a corner, put adhesive tape on the covering and another piece of tape on the backing.
Then just pull the taps apart and the covering comes away with one tape and the backing comes away with the other. Works every time.
I reuse the same two bits of tape many times. I find that insulation tape works best for me :-)
Dec 07, 2012, 09:04 PM
Rocket Programmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodlestonian View Post
The easiest way I've found to separate covering and backing is get to a corner, put adhesive tape on the covering and another piece of tape on the backing.
Then just pull the taps apart and the covering comes away with one tape and the backing comes away with the other. Works every time.
I reuse the same two bits of tape many times. I find that insulation tape works best for me :-)
An easier way is to grab the corner and rub it a bit with your fingernail, which causes the backing to wrinkle a bit and you can pull it up.
Dec 08, 2012, 03:50 AM
I'd rather be flying..
I am now even more confused.. I had a look at the stips of covering and coudn't see that there was anything to peel off. I did notice that one side was stickier than the other so tried ironing that side to the plane and guess what.. It worked.. So i've now easlily sealed all the gaps using the covering..

Only a few things left to do and then maiden!!
Dec 08, 2012, 04:22 AM
Precision Aerobatics Team
Quote:
I am now even more confused.. I had a look at the stips of covering and coudn't see that there was anything to peel off. I did notice that one side was stickier than the other so tried ironing that side to the plane and guess what.. It worked.. So i've now easlily sealed all the gaps using the covering..

Only a few things left to do and then maiden!!
Good to hear you've come right.
Post a pic of your finished bird
Dec 08, 2012, 10:16 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Last covering tip~ if the backing is off, and you are not sure which side has the adhesive; look at each side and the "dull" looking side has the adhesive on it and needs to be down on the plane. The shinny side goes on the outside.

Sounds like a nice maiden, I look forward to your thoughts as you get even more used to this ship.
Dec 09, 2012, 02:11 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
I had my first day back flying today since my surgery (before Thanksgiving), it was fun to mash the sticks around a bit, but really just hot-dog huckin in the neighborhood! I always seem to forget that with all my tail weight (wires and LEDs), this ship requires solid back pressure on the elevator, about 1/4 stick, just to maintain level inverted flight without popping into a hover.

I thought my buddy Chris was just taking some photos, but he snuck a video of the first flight back I cant wait to get her back up tomorrow, I am going to wring this machine out!

However, I did have one glaring issue that has been irking me- ever since I had to move the 3s2650mAh flight battery, the 3s500mAh LED battery, and the ESC all the way forward (with an additional 49g of nose weight), I have have been unable to get the cowl on and still have access for battery changes.

Flying this way for the last year, it never seemed to bother me as I fly it mostly at night and it is unnoticeable, but today I decided it is time to start working on the cowling. I am not sure if I will modify the X cowl with magnets and a clamshell design or a side door, or if I want to fabricate something that would give me the room I need....

Anyway, here are some daylight photos and the vid. It really is amazing how drastic the LED visibility is once the sun is fully down, and how its only slightly noticeable during daylight/twilight... I snuck a few older pics from in the darkness for comparison:

Bradley Bauman - PA Addiction 12/8/12 - DFC-1 (5 min 35 sec)
Dec 10, 2012, 01:22 AM
I'd rather be flying..
I realised yesterday that I don't have the motor mount bolts and washers - can someone post a pic of what they look like so I can try source some locally? I don't know if I got them with the motor or not as I've had the motor out the box a few times and it's not impossible that I may have lost them without realising it..
Dec 10, 2012, 02:04 AM
Quote:
I realised yesterday that I don't have the motor mount bolts and washers - can someone post a pic of what they look like so I can try source some locally? I don't know if I got them with the motor or not as I've had the motor out the box a few times and it's not impossible that I may have lost them without realising it..
They should be in a little zip-lock bag inside the box, sometimes squashed at the bottom of the foam padding.
They are 3mm philips head machine screws about 8mm long, black in colour.
The four washers are also black, ±8mm in diameter with a 3mm hole.
Dec 10, 2012, 02:08 AM
I'd rather be flying..
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonGti View Post
They should be in a little zip-lock bag inside the box, sometimes squashed at the bottom of the foam padding.
They are 3mm philips head machine screws about 8mm long, black in colour.
The four washers are also black, ±8mm in diameter with a 3mm hole.

Nope, I checked and double-checked the box and foam, no sign of them anywhere. I don't recall ever seeing any black bolts anwhere in the kit.. Not serious though, I am sure I will be able to find replacements quite easily..
Dec 10, 2012, 02:20 AM
Quote:
Nope, I checked and double-checked the box and foam, no sign of them anywhere. I don't recall ever seeing any black bolts anwhere in the kit.. Not serious though, I am sure I will be able to find replacements quite easily..
The screws should be a pretty standard item at most hardware stores, but just make sure you get a bigger washer than the normal hardware stuff. The larger the area, the more the load is spread across the CF motor mounting plate.
I have used 3mm pop rivet washers in the past on other planes 'cause they have a nice large diameter.

Quick Reply