Dec 08, 2012, 07:16 PM
hi rain4la,

I was in ur position 2 years back when I started this hobby. I thought it woul be a simple task to build a heli. so I bought a tarot super combo. the mechanical side of building is simple and actually quite fun, just like putting piece n pieces together in Lego. but when it came to the electronic part, it took me forever to figure out how to set up the gyro properly (to be honest, I still couldn't get the zyx gyro to work properly up to till now),

at the end, I gave up n left the nice 450 frame sitting on the floor for nearly a year. every now n then I took it out n tried to set it up again. n failed n get grounded.. n failed n so on... so finally I got a rx2702v on it last year n the heli went on air just fine....it was alright.. plenty of excitements of coz!

then it came one day when the rx2702v played up . locking the tail servo. causing major crashes. didn't believe it was the rx2702 at first. n more burning tail servos n crashes. until one day when I couldn't run the tail servo setup properly, I admitted to myself that it was the bloody damn stupid rx2702v that has caused the tail servos to burn up n also head lock crashes!

so at the end, I gave up the rx2702v again. good gyro that served me well for the last 8-10 months. I now put on the align 3gx as I know how to set this up. in fact, nearly all my helis will b in the 3gx gyros. my align 250 dfc is on it, now the tarot 450, n the coming 550e dfc is also on 3gx. so the only walkera stuffs that I'm left with is the new v450d01 with rx 2703h-d and all the other lil v120s.

so rain4la, I totally agree with all of those who said they started off with walkera, n they would have build their own or go for other brands if they knew walkera gonna suck up so much money. I've been there, n done that like many others do...

my only suggestions is that if u already know how to fly, build one urself. if u r still learning how to fly, u can get the rtf option or even build one urself....just my 2 cents...
to remove ads between posts
Dec 08, 2012, 07:50 PM
IHW Heli Division
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenechong
hi rain4la,

I was in ur position 2 years back when I started this hobby. I thought it woul be a simple task to build a heli. so I bought a tarot super combo. the mechanical side of building is simple and actually quite fun, just like putting piece n pieces together in Lego. but when it came to the electronic part, it took me forever to figure out how to set up the gyro properly (to be honest, I still couldn't get the zyx gyro to work properly up to till now),

at the end, I gave up n left the nice 450 frame sitting on the floor for nearly a year. every now n then I took it out n tried to set it up again. n failed n get grounded.. n failed n so on... so finally I got a rx2702v on it last year n the heli went on air just fine....it was alright.. plenty of excitements of coz!

then it came one day when the rx2702v played up . locking the tail servo. causing major crashes. didn't believe it was the rx2702 at first. n more burning tail servos n crashes. until one day when I couldn't run the tail servo setup properly, I admitted to myself that it was the bloody damn stupid rx2702v that has caused the tail servos to burn up n also head lock crashes!

so at the end, I gave up the rx2702v again. good gyro that served me well for the last 8-10 months. I now put on the align 3gx as I know how to set this up. in fact, nearly all my helis will b in the 3gx gyros. my align 250 dfc is on it, now the tarot 450, n the coming 550e dfc is also on 3gx. so the only walkera stuffs that I'm left with is the new v450d01 with rx 2703h-d and all the other lil v120s.

so rain4la, I totally agree with all of those who said they started off with walkera, n they would have build their own or go for other brands if they knew walkera gonna suck up so much money. I've been there, n done that like many others do...

my only suggestions is that if u already know how to fly, build one urself. if u r still learning how to fly, u can get the rtf option or even build one urself....just my 2 cents...
Well said. Have you seen this post yet about the 2702V Eugene?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3598
Dec 08, 2012, 08:26 PM
Thanks IH and Eugene. This has to be the most helpful bunch of people ever. By the way, IH, I do have Phoenix. Every once in a while - I'll be on the SIM, or flying, or reading, and I'll just have one of those "aha" moments. I just had one yesterday when reading someone's explanation of how helicopters work. He was explaining some things about tilting the helicopter to a level that you want, then bringing it back to the middle. It may seem simple and elementary, but when he explained about the exponential acceleration or eventual loop/rollover if you don't bring it back - something clicked. Wow! No wonder!

Anyway, IH, I'm really leaning towards:

I'm just having a hard time figuring out what comes with it and what doesn't. If I'm reading it correctly, it looks like it has everything including servos and gyro - just no motor and ESC. Oh, and receiver.... Can you take a look and let me know? Here's the manual:

Thanks for your help AGAIN!!!
Dec 08, 2012, 10:50 PM
IHW Heli Division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain4LA
Thanks IH and Eugene. This has to be the most helpful bunch of people ever. By the way, IH, I do have Phoenix. Every once in a while - I'll be on the SIM, or flying, or reading, and I'll just have one of those "aha" moments. I just had one yesterday when reading someone's explanation of how helicopters work. He was explaining some things about tilting the helicopter to a level that you want, then bringing it back to the middle. It may seem simple and elementary, but when he explained about the exponential acceleration or eventual loop/rollover if you don't bring it back - something clicked. Wow! No wonder!

Anyway, IH, I'm really leaning towards:

I'm just having a hard time figuring out what comes with it and what doesn't. If I'm reading it correctly, it looks like it has everything including servos and gyro - just no motor and ESC. Oh, and receiver.... Can you take a look and let me know? Here's the manual:

Thanks for your help AGAIN!!!
According to OOmodel's description you are correct. It looks like Alzrc has a cheap motor too for only $20. I would get a hobbywing platinum pro 100A or Castle creations ICE 100 for an ESC. The Alzrc motor should be fine, otherwise you can spend a bunch of cash on a branded motor, like a scorpion or viper or something. But a motor is basically a motor. The only differences are how hot they run and how long they last. Of course some will perform a little better than others too. Typically motors that run hot don't last as long. Also keep in mind every heli LOVES for every one of their bearings to be oiled regularly. I oil my main motor and main shaft bearings every 5-10 flights. This keeps friction down, which keeps the motor and ESC cooler too. Of course it can also help keep your power more consistent and keep your flight times longer. I personally use Scorpion bearing oil. The kit is real cheap, about $7. It has the needle tip applicators and everything. I use it because it claimed to work well with plastics and not eject. So far it's been treating all of my heli really good.

Anyway, i've heard oomodel can be a pain with stocking and weather or not they actually have things in stock. Basically a shipping and stocking mess. But i have not had that experience with them. I've only ordered servo gears from them though. Never a full heli or anything big. I had no problem except for typical long international shipping times.

It seems too cheap to come with servos and a gyro. If it does I'm freaking buying one. Considering the Gyro costs about $100. The descriptions are pretty vague. If it comes with the gyro too it will probably be the 3GY gyro. Which is actually a Robird G31 and also the same as the Blackwidow gyro. They all have the vibration analysis feature too. It seems like they are all the same gyro set to me anyway. They all look similar and just have different colors on the face. Anyway, the 3GY should be a decent gyro for the money too. Though the robird is on v3 firmware right now and it looks liek the 3GY may still be on v2. Not sure if there is any correlation or not. But i thought i heard the V3 on the robird was a big improvement somewhere. Maybe it was even clearprop that said so. I forget.

If it does come with servos. Personally, i would buy some savox servos to fit in there. Just keep in mind that servos are one of the most important things to have decent quality. If you consider the strength of your heli being only as strong as it's weakest link. Cheap servos will be that weak link. I don't have experience first hand with Alzrc's servos but for the cost of the whole heli they can't be that great. Also for how cheap the kit is, you can't afford not to slap some better servos in there, and believe me you won't regret it. But you might if you stick with the cheap servos. Since you don't need to get a gyro separately i would spend that money on a $150 set of savox, personally that would be what i would do during the initial build. Though honestly, i don't know anything about the Alzrc servos. They might last you a while. I personally wouldn't take the risk. Maybe go asking around. But i can confidently say you probably won't have anyone tell you you wouldn't be better off getting something else. Unless your okay with the possibility of the servos bringing your heli down after so many flight hours. All servos have a service life span. But cheap ones tend to be hit or miss and often pretty short life span. Here are some servo options that should fit and work great. As we already covered i prefer Savox and they tend to be the cheaper out of the ones listed. Futaba make the better servos but i'm not sure which ones for cyclic. They are expensive but very good servos. Better than i can afford actually.

For cyclic:
Align DS410M
SAVOX SH0257MG

For the tail:
Futaba S9257
SAVOX SH1357
Align DS520

You can pick up Futaba and Align servos at the LHS actually. Usually. Otherwise you can order them from anywhere. My main supplier for Savox is rick at Clubheli.com. They have the best shipping protocol and customer service. Otherwise i use Savoxusa.com which is not as reliable but will eventually get you what you ordered. They are pretty good about emailing you when they are over sold and things, which is often it seems. I order my servo horns from them (the part that breaks in a crash to save your servo gears). They are always out of stock so i end up ordering 10 at a time and waiting a few weeks for them to get stock in. In the mean time Align servo horns fit too and you can get them at the LHS also. Some modification may be required to the servo horns though. It's very easy.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Dec 08, 2012 at 10:59 PM.
Dec 08, 2012, 11:08 PM
Hey guys, I don't know if anyone's interested, but I have a 450 with low hours on it for sale.https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1785325
Dec 08, 2012, 11:18 PM
Just hovered mine outside and I'm about ready for another crash since she appears to fly beautifully now I fiddled with the pots on my RX.
Dec 08, 2012, 11:27 PM
IHW Heli Division
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm
Just hovered mine outside and I'm about ready for another crash since she appears to fly beautifully now I fiddled with the pots on my RX.
O.
Dec 09, 2012, 04:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk
Well said. Have you seen this post yet about the 2702V Eugene?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3598
Hi Integrity,

Thanks for referring me back to that page. I have gone missing for a week or so. My rx2702 is definately gone as it won't finish the last step of the rudder setup where u push the setup button for the last time and the tail move left n right....it would just let me do the double blink (left) setting, triple blink (right) setting and then that's it....just kept blinking even though i pushed the button 100 times...just wouldn't let me finish it off....bugger!

Thanks anyway for pointing it out guys =)
Dec 09, 2012, 11:08 AM

450 Build thread

Hey IH,
Just wanted to give you the link to my 450 Build Thread, since this has lost any connection to a Walkera V450 and we're just taking up room over here. I've got a bunch more questions - but I'm down to the nitty gritty before ordering right now. I am looking at the Scorpion Motors - just have to make sure I'm ordering the right one (6s compatible) and the right kv, etc....
Thank you for all your help.
Dec 09, 2012, 11:44 AM
IHW Heli Division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain4LA
Hey IH,
Just wanted to give you the link to my 450 Build Thread, since this has lost any connection to a Walkera V450 and we're just taking up room over here. I've got a bunch more questions - but I'm down to the nitty gritty before ordering right now. I am looking at the Scorpion Motors - just have to make sure I'm ordering the right one (6s compatible) and the right kv, etc....
Thank you for all your help.
Good idea. No problem. See you there.

Don't worry, the only people here probably are considering selling their V450 and building one of these now. If anything you probably helped the lot of em!
Dec 10, 2012, 08:59 AM
sorry guys....irrelevant to v450d01 but i have some problem with my 250 dfc....had a virgin crash after flying it for nearly 3 months and 100s flights..... my flying mate was standing in front of me and caused me to lose sight of the heli n crash onto a tree...... =(

changed the feathering shaft, main shaft, and tail linkage rod.....checked all gears and seem to be fine.....just couldn't think of why it vibrates so badly when spooling up.....

align 250 dfc vibration (0 min 36 sec)
Dec 10, 2012, 12:10 PM
IHW Heli Division
Are they the same blades from the crash? New? Do you have a digital scale? Check their weights make sure they balance. Check your pitch and tracking too. It's the only thing i can think of. That's what it looks like it could be the way it's dancing like that.
Dec 10, 2012, 12:45 PM
Semi Expert
Plus 1 What he said!
Dec 10, 2012, 12:57 PM
Semi Expert
So I forgot to check the street I was flying on when I crashed, I found my horizontal stabilizer intact plus the aluminum hardware & screws, & a bonus, my two HD rubber bands also.

That threw it 20 feet away, amazing! I just order a set of new main blades, & mentioned the "Gear Switch" they owe me. All for the cheap price of $33.00 with shipping. If it wasn't for the switch I would have went to the local hobby shop & got some align 3d blades for $18.00.

I just lost the power supply for my old (11-12 years) router... It took me about 5 mins. to get back on the Internet, but I have now lost my local network for my 4 other computers and wireless, plus my Sprint amplifier for my stupid cellphone. Now to find a replacement power supply for the router.......
Dec 10, 2012, 02:47 PM
IHW Heli Division
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhelis
So I forgot to check the street I was flying on when I crashed, I found my horizontal stabilizer intact plus the aluminum hardware & screws, & a bonus, my two HD rubber bands also.

That threw it 20 feet away, amazing! I just order a set of new main blades, & mentioned the "Gear Switch" they owe me. All for the cheap price of $33.00 with shipping. If it wasn't for the switch I would have went to the local hobby shop & got some align 3d blades for $18.00.

I just lost the power supply for my old (11-12 years) router... It took me about 5 mins. to get back on the Internet, but I have now lost my local network for my 4 other computers and wireless, plus my Sprint amplifier for my stupid cellphone. Now to find a replacement power supply for the router.......
I have been using the Pro 3D blades. My next order will be at hobby king for them. They are only like $7 or something a set. They work fine for how much i crash. Even though i have aligns on there now.

Did sprint provide the amp or did you have to buy the device? It's just a repeater right?

Quick Reply