Dec 05, 2012, 10:51 PM
Libertas in Infinitum
Thread OP
Discussion

What do you call synergy between Government and Corporations?

I guess it depends who's doing the talking ...
Dec 05, 2012, 11:04 PM
Tu ne cede malis
Actually it doesn't. I call it crony capitalism.

Buisnesses love this 'partnership'. It frees them from actually competing, gets them sweetheart deals on everything from taxation to protection from losses, and often creates an entry barrier to competitors.

The State should not possess the power to dole out any of these favors whatsoever.
Dec 05, 2012, 11:06 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB
I've abandoned free market principles to save the free market system.
Bush abandons free market principles (0 min 6 sec)
Dec 05, 2012, 11:11 PM
Libertas in Infinitum
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1
yup ... what a putz ... his bailout of the fiancial institutions was a primary example of crony capitalism / corporatism ...
Dec 05, 2012, 11:41 PM
Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5
yup ... what a putz ... his bailout of the fiancial institutions was a primary example of crony capitalism / corporatism ...
Not so sure-it sounded like a dirty diaper we didn't have much choice about changing...the "other people's money" principle in action.
Dec 05, 2012, 11:42 PM
Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5
I guess it depends who's doing the talking ...
I call it "a problem."
Dec 05, 2012, 11:48 PM
Tu ne cede malis
shoulda let em all fail, and made it clear that doing so was the new normal. Faced with actually eating losses, these institutions would straighten up real quick.
Dec 06, 2012, 07:39 AM
I hear the drone manufacturers are buttering-up a bunch in the Government in an effort to unleash their products on The People. Obviously, The People don't want this new form of surveillance. But do the corporate Galts care ? of course not...their lobbyists will get the job done and thousands of drones will start roaming our skies looking down at our every move like we're Afghanistanis or something...
Dec 06, 2012, 07:41 AM
St. Boondock
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp1964
I hear the drone manufacturers are buttering-up a bunch in the Government in an effort to unleash their products on The People. Obviously, The People don't want this new form of surveillance. But do the corporate Galts care ? of course not...their lobbyists will get the job done and thousands of drones will start roaming our skies looking down at our every move like we're Afghanistanis or something...
Ya.........

And they will be black with rotors on top
Dec 06, 2012, 10:01 AM
Random Pic #23982
You don't need drones to track every movement. A few cameras that already can recognize faces and license plates will do just fine. Back that up with devices that can pick up your cell phone (it's unique ID number) and you make it even easier. There are a wide variety of devices in a home that can be easily hacked to allow for voice and video surveillance. Many of those devices keep extensive logs of what you do with them.

Drones are a red herring. Privacy is an illusion.
Dec 06, 2012, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Nice try, but a corporate "Galt" wouldn't resort to any lobbyist.
Dec 06, 2012, 11:11 AM
Libertas in Infinitum
Thread OP
Quote:
Um ... a Corporate "Galt" would have nothing to do with the Government in the first place.
Dec 06, 2012, 12:04 PM
Figure Nine Champ
I think Peter is pulling your collective leg. He often did that previously.
Dec 06, 2012, 12:28 PM
Libertas in Infinitum
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy
I think Peter is pulling your collective leg. He often did that previously.
I would hope so ... being that wrong requires an enormous amount of ignorance on the subject.
Dec 06, 2012, 12:51 PM
LcJ
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat
Actually it doesn't. I call it crony capitalism.

Buisnesses love this 'partnership'. It frees them from actually competing, gets them sweetheart deals on everything from taxation to protection from losses, and often creates an entry barrier to competitors.

The State should not possess the power to dole out any of these favors whatsoever.
Damn near perfect post. Things that come to mind are the requirement of asbestos in building code and then making you pay a ton to get rid of it. Forcing Buses into large cities and then requiring them to pay tons to conform to energy and emission rules. Subsidizing tobacco while allowing attorneys to get rich suing the very industry they helped build. Putting moonshiners out of business to keep tax free whiskey off the market. Deciding winners and losers and unfortunately to biggest loser is always the taxpayer as they pay for the product and the legislators that allow them to do business in such a controlled environment.

Quick Reply