Dec 04, 2012, 11:00 PM
I honestly don't recommend the MCPX, coaxials react completely differently to FP or CP helis (you need to keep down elevator to keep them moving, for example) that lead to bad habits. It'd either use the money to jump to a MSRX (FP heli) or buy a good sim.

Also, a good pair of training gear and you can start straight with the 450. It's what I did and now I'm comfortably flying inverted. The 450 is going to be much more stable than the smaller models, and as long as you don't push yourself too fast you'll have much more fun than an MCPX.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 04, 2012, 11:46 PM
Which way is up?
MCPX is a full CP heli. You must be thinking of the MCX or MCX2, Blade's micro coax heli.
Dec 04, 2012, 11:47 PM
I think you're thinking of the MCX, MCX2 rather than the MCPX. The MCPX is a CP heli and is a lot of fun, IMO. If you can react fast enough to an MCPX, the 450 will seem like a piece of cake.
Dec 05, 2012, 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277
I think you're thinking of the MCX, MCX2 rather than the MCPX. The MCPX is a CP heli and is a lot of fun, IMO. If you can react fast enough to an MCPX, the 450 will seem like a piece of cake.

Whoops, my bad.

Agreed, if you can fly the Mcpx or nano, the 450 will seem easy by comparison. I practiced inverted on my nano, and when I finally psyched myself up to do it on the 450 it was scarily easy.
Dec 05, 2012, 12:05 AM
352nd FG Association
I went from the CX2 to a MSR without any problem. The Scout is just my fun "torment the cat" toy". Looking to step up to a Blade 450 3D at some point. I don't want to do 3D, don't much care for 3D flying in general, I'm more of scale guy. I'm thinking a CP w/ FB is the next best step. Going straight to CP FBL would get expensive!
Dec 05, 2012, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam
I went from the CX2 to a MSR without any problem. The Scout is just my fun "torment the cat" toy". Looking to step up to a Blade 450 3D at some point. I don't want to do 3D, don't much care for 3D flying in general, I'm more of scale guy. I'm thinking a CP w/ FB is the next best step. Going straight to CP FBL would get expensive!
You'd be surprised regarding 3D. I went into helis with teh same mentality, but once you get to the level that you've mastered basic flight you want to challenge yourself and do new things.
Dec 05, 2012, 03:25 AM
Which way is up?
In the beginning, 90% of us say this. No 3D for me! I still say it. But I can see that as my skills progress I want to try new things. Right now, "new" to me is flying in a simple circle. I have not mastered that, far from it. So yes, 3D seems like nothing I want anything to do with at this time. Once flying in a circle becomes routine and "boring" well then..............
Dec 05, 2012, 03:30 AM
You'll be flying inverted before you can say 'no 3d'
Dec 05, 2012, 06:37 AM
Gravity impaired
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam
I don't have a FB yet but they have way fewer parts to break! Might be cheaper in the long run.
Dec 05, 2012, 12:45 PM
Augernaut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znybar
Whoops, my bad.

Agreed, if you can fly the Mcpx or nano, the 450 will seem easy by comparison. I practiced inverted on my nano, and when I finally psyched myself up to do it on the 450 it was scarily easy.
See I'm just the opposite. I have a much harder time with the 450 than the Nano Or MCPX. I think its a bit of intimidation from the energy in the rotor and the idea that if I goof this up she isn't going to just bounce off the tree. Flight is easier, I do fast forward flight with loops and rolls. Not much inverted yet, its always been windy and I cant get the 450 to hold. its the anxiety that seems to interfere. I can't just bang a 450 around and know its all going to be ok if i make a mistake. So I find the small helis much more enjoyable.
Dec 05, 2012, 04:53 PM
I'd suggest doing some more flying with the 450, even if its not inverted. I learnt the hard way that being nervous only makes your flying terrible. I'd say just fly random patterns at your own pace with teh 450 so that anxiety isn't an issue. I ended up being so comfortable I had the reflex of inverting (from the sim and the nano) and it was done before I'd realized my 'error'
Dec 05, 2012, 09:06 PM
While the 450 will likely break something if you do make a mistake, it's not as bad as you would think if you're fast with the throttle hold. The stock parts are relatively cheap and it isn't too difficult to fix. Hobbypartz also has low cost blades that have helped keep the repair costs down (work pretty well, too). I've crashed enough times to know - this video being just the latest instance out of about 5 crashes now.

All I can say about this particular crash is the combination of Corona 939mg digitals and the Align 3GX FBL controller cannot handle that particular maneuver - it's gone into uncontrolled, tumbling flight each time I've tried it. Crash #4 happened with the same maneuver. I don't think it's the thumbs - can do this pretty easily with my 130X.

I'm upgrading to an AR7200BX and Savox digital servos (combo pack for 450s) next. I'm testing out setups with the 450 before going to the bigger TREX 500 and TREX 600 that are waiting to be built up.

Blade 450 3D Crash Again (3 min 1 sec)
Dec 06, 2012, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster
See I'm just the opposite. I have a much harder time with the 450 than the Nano Or MCPX. I think its a bit of intimidation from the energy in the rotor and the idea that if I goof this up she isn't going to just bounce off the tree. Flight is easier, I do fast forward flight with loops and rolls. Not much inverted yet, its always been windy and I cant get the 450 to hold. its the anxiety that seems to interfere. I can't just bang a 450 around and know its all going to be ok if i make a mistake. So I find the small helis much more enjoyable.
Same here
Dec 09, 2012, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znybar
You'll be flying inverted before you can say 'no 3d'
that happened to me....but in sims.....hopefully I can do it wt my B450...
Dec 19, 2012, 10:15 AM
Question on Futaba 9C transmitter vs the Dx6i:

I just ordered a 450 3D, but I have a Phoenix sim and some other RC stuff (boats, etc). I recently installed a Specktrum DM8 2.4 ghz module into the Futaba to allow it to control all the specktrum receivers I have.

Basically question is: The Futaba requires me to reverse at least throttle(3), pitch(6), and possibly other channels like elevator(2). Will this be bad mojo, do I have to do extra special stuff to make it perform the same as the Dx6i would?

On the Sim, strangely, I have to reverse channels 2, 3, and 6 (elevator, throttle, and pitch). I'm not sure what to do with channel 5 on this...on the Dx6i this can be set normal/stunt? The Futaba gives you three "idle ups" meant for more aggressive flying in addition to a "default" normal...all controlled by other switches independent of channel.

Quick Reply