Dec 04, 2012, 12:35 PM
Is there a decent 6s system that will fly this jet off grass?

-Derrek
to remove ads between posts
Dec 04, 2012, 02:27 PM
Always Fly Two Mistakes High!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCJA
I guess I will say it again;

Do NOT even think about using them if you have a Futaba Radio and plan on running 6V. I tested them and they worked fine with JR, Spektrum, Airtronics BUT with a Futaba RX and TX The servos will go crazy after little use and when you least expect them. I learned the hard way after they destroyed my MIG-15

Ralph
Do all Futaba TX's & RX's run on 6V ???
Dec 04, 2012, 03:10 PM
Insta: Check5_Av8r
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHjets
Is there a decent 6s system that will fly this jet off grass?

-Derrek
The HET Typhoon 700-60 either 1738kv or 1865kv motor on the HET 9305V2 fan should work for you.

Big deal will be that it's going to be Amp hungry... these bigger jets really benefit from higher cell counts and lower amp draw. You may want to consider an 8s setup.
Dec 04, 2012, 03:58 PM
what would be good 8s setup?

-Derrek
Dec 04, 2012, 04:23 PM
2024 EDF Jet Jam, June 6-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGS2010
NO

Rx' are rated at 4.8 to 6.0 volts UNLESS they are a HV High Voltage version

The Tx's vary some use 6 cell NiMH pack, some use 2 cell Lipo packs older versions have 8 cell Nicad pack,

You'll find all the info here:

www.futaba-rc.com
Last edited by Robert Belluomini; Dec 04, 2012 at 04:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Dec 04, 2012, 06:06 PM
wannabe Jet guy

I think so

Like Robert already replied, it's just a choice, if you look at most name brand servo, they post the torque specs for 4.8V and 6.0V and of course at 6V the servos provide more torque. Same goes for name brand RX, they support either voltage, but check with your RX brand to make sure it supports the 6V before you try it.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/servos/brushless.html. here you can see the Futaba 4.8 and 6V torque for some of their servos. Again this is for Receivers and the transmitter has nothing to do with this part.

Ralph

Quote:
Dec 04, 2012, 06:32 PM
Another one on the way...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHjets
what would be good 8s setup?

-Derrek
I would think that at least a HET 9305v2 (or JetFan 90, or WeMoTec Midi-Fan), with at least a HET 700-68-1680 (this will give you some 3,000W). Mind you--I haven't built this plane, only comparing it to other planes about the same size/weight.
Dec 04, 2012, 10:08 PM
^ ^ ^
What he said.

To add in my experience, I'm currently building another Sniper XL90 for 8s using the HET9305V2 Fan and the 700-68-1500kv. Should be good for about 2500 watts.
This is a proven setup; a similar setup flies Brent's (CN's) Sniper very well!

Vic
Dec 05, 2012, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCJA
Like Robert already replied, it's just a choice, if you look at most name brand servo, they post the torque specs for 4.8V and 6.0V and of course at 6V the servos provide more torque. Same goes for name brand RX, they support either voltage, but check with your RX brand to make sure it supports the 6V before you try it.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/servos/brushless.html. here you can see the Futaba 4.8 and 6V torque for some of their servos. Again this is for Receivers and the transmitter has nothing to do with this part.

Ralph
Got it, thanks guys...I was just trying to understand why the HET digital servos were crapping out if they were rated 4.8/6.0, which they are. I have a Futaba 7C with either original Futaba RX or FASST compatible RX's and these servos caught my eye but not worth it if I lose a model.

Russ
Dec 05, 2012, 01:29 PM
3DHOG
Quote:
Got it, thanks guys...I was just trying to understand why the HET digital servos were crapping out if they were rated 4.8/6.0, which they are. I have a Futaba 7C with either original Futaba RX or FASST compatible RX's and these servos caught my eye but not worth it if I lose a model.

Russ
I am using Het DS002mg's digital servo's in my L39 on all surfaces except elev that were purchased new about a year ago from EJF and even though I had seen crcja's warnings and took them seriously I have had no issues with them on 6vdc with Futaba 12fg and 6014fs rec in my new L39 which has around 40-50 flights on it now. I am running a LiFe 2s 1100 rec batt and 7.5amp ubec set to 6vdc and they work perfectly. not really sure what Ralph had going on with his setup but he did document it well and did do some troubleshooting to isolate the issue, I cant explain his issue but something was amiss. it could have been a bad servo or something else. anyway here is one that is working properly

HTG L-39 10-7-2012.....Sweet landing!!! (4 min 15 sec)
Dec 05, 2012, 02:02 PM
wannabe Jet guy

HET servos

Another thing to remember is the I got the first set of servos they made, that was almost two years ago, they where sent back to HET so they could figure out what was going on. SO, in short, ( pun intended) they could have fixed whatever was going on, I just say test them before carefully if you are going to run 6V and Futaba RX. All this talk just makes me want to finish my second MIG-15 (that's where I installed the servos) Maybe after the Sniper XL and the Habu32

Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd
not really sure what Ralph had going on with his setup but he did document it well and did do some troubleshooting to isolate the issue, I cant explain his issue but something was amiss. it could have been a bad servo or something else. anyway here is one that is working properly
Dec 05, 2012, 02:39 PM

Thanks!

Again, thanks for taking the time to share your experience about the servos. I think I will give them a try. I have a "non crucial" edf that I can test 'em on. I'm just getting into the digital servos and want to survey those that are more in the know than I.

...programming may now return to normal... or something like that from the old Twilight Zone episodes!

Russ
Dec 09, 2012, 02:18 AM

Update

Hi everybody! Thanks PAXTON and KNIFE… I’m going to show you what I have done. I still working in some mods but for now the most important for me are…
1- Retracts; I squeezed E-flite 25-46 in this wings(there is a little mod to do before they could fit).
2- Ribs to reinforce the fuselage, giving some rigidity to the tail section.
3- Using Robart hinges for rudder and elevator
4- all servos are removable and I fixed the position of them to give then the right angle and avoid the use of ball links.
5- offset hinges for flaps.
6- etc…

Ready for questions...
Last edited by LOLO77; Dec 09, 2012 at 04:11 AM.
Dec 09, 2012, 12:49 PM
Looking good!
I'm probably going to drop E-flite 25-46's for Mains too. Did you just cut out the glass section and shim it up with hardwood?
Dec 09, 2012, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMigKiller
Looking good!
I'm probably going to drop E-flite 25-46's for Mains too. Did you just cut out the glass section and shim it up with hardwood?
I did cut really carefully the thin fiberglass layer at the bottom on the wing and you have to cut a small white zip tie that hold the cables on the retracts... then with 3mm plywood... Pictures will describe better than my words!

Quick Reply