Nov 29, 2012, 04:21 PM
kitesurfer
looks a possible alternative to the xoar props.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1779091
to remove ads between posts
Nov 29, 2012, 05:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritan
May I ask why you use these instead of the MT3506?
Weigh, size, price, efficiency of the system. 100 % of throttle is not used with MT3506 & 2 kg RTF. Will sell it starting from December.
Last edited by Zaitsevsky; Nov 29, 2012 at 05:10 PM.
Nov 29, 2012, 10:01 PM
You guys in the 2.2kg range live on another planet than me. I know that there are a few places I can trim the fat a bit, and I guess I carry a few more items than a minimum setup, but my build looks to be between 2.6-2.75kg depending on the options. Mostly standard stuff though.

Video converter, video power filter, arduino, osd, vtx, motor size, larger props, a few extra wires and I guess the lens (18-55) add up. In this configuration it's also actually requiring a slightly heavier battery (offset by capacity) to counter balance unless I move some of my video stuff off the gimbal. But, if it works, I hope to actually get a bit better flight time and good stability. Time to finish wiring this beast and see what happens.
Last edited by InfinitR; Nov 29, 2012 at 10:14 PM.
Nov 29, 2012, 10:14 PM
www.flycamera.de
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliB
Very right.
Just ordered 11x4 to be run with mt2814 710kv.

Seem to be as stiff as graupner, but with more lift and less vibration.
Cant wait to test.
Nov 30, 2012, 12:55 AM
Quote:

I would like to see a head to head test with these and the Xoars.
I am very pleased with my Xoars - the first time I used them I sold all my Graupners and have never looked back.It was such a big difference.

More efficient, stiffer, quiter, better balanced from factory although I always balance them myself. And they are available in more sizes.
Nov 30, 2012, 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaitsevsky
Weigh, size, price, efficiency of the system. 100 % of throttle is not used with MT3506 & 2 kg RTF. Will sell it starting from December.
The MT2216 are great motors - i am using them on a Y6.

What props for the STEREO? On the picture it is XOAR but in text it is APC 12x3,8?
Last edited by tritan; Nov 30, 2012 at 01:25 AM.
Nov 30, 2012, 03:36 AM
kitesurfer
ooo. worth changing from apc 1238 which arnt very stiff
Nov 30, 2012, 04:44 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
The MT2216 are great motors - i am using them on a Y6.

What props for the STEREO? On the picture it is XOAR but in text it is APC 12x3,8?
I'm waiting for 10*4.7 carbon props to use with MT2216.
Nov 30, 2012, 06:01 AM
Quote:
All this talk of propellers is making me question my setup:
Gemfan 12x4.5 on Torxpower 3536 Pro Heavy Lift Motor 700KV AUW 2.7kg .

I've been experimenting with gains and have broken a few when going too far, getting a wobble and tipping over. They break at the slightest contact with anything, I suppose this is normal? Curious thing is I've broken twice as many anti-clockwise blades as clockwise...

Would I benefit from some wooden ones and should I go for 12x4 or some other size?
Nov 30, 2012, 06:15 AM
www.flycamera.de
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAP993
All this talk of propellers is making me question my setup:
Gemfan 12x4.5 on Torxpower 3536 Pro Heavy Lift Motor 700KV AUW 2.7kg .

I've been experimenting with gains and have broken a few when going too far, getting a wobble and tipping over. They break at the slightest contact with anything, I suppose this is normal? Curious thing is I've broken twice as many anti-clockwise blades as clockwise...

Would I benefit from some wooden ones and should I go for 12x4 or some other size?
Yes, wooden props are definitely less sensible to contacts with ground etc.
But keep in mind, that this puts more impact to the motor itself in case of contacting any solid material. So if the prop stays intact, the motors may be harmed more easily.

I am going to try wooden props to have an even better performance (lift and vibration) than the Graupners. CopterCalc tells me to have slightly more flight time also. (11x4 gemfan wood compared to 11x5 Graupners)
Nov 30, 2012, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordcopter
I am going to try wooden props to have an even better performance (lift and vibration) than the Graupners. CopterCalc tells me to have slightly more flight time also. (11x4 gemfan wood compared to 11x5 Graupners)
You mean xcopterCalc (http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc_e.htm)? I can't see any of those props there. What am I missing? Or you input them as custom but then how to know the prop constant?
Nov 30, 2012, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAP993
They break at the slightest contact with anything, I suppose this is normal?
Probably yes considering that they run at several kRPM into the ground. I wouldn't use those props anymore, even if they don't show external damage. And as someone mentioned, the bearings will get damaged on any hit, that's for sure.

Okay, you could still use such potentially damaged props for "testing" (say, far from other people and property, no expensive camera mounted), but you would still endanger yourself. I don't want to have a previously damaged blade coming off like a shuriken e.g. after start during the test hover a few meters in front of me right on eye height...
Nov 30, 2012, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~>Miha<~
Probably yes considering that they run at several kRPM into the ground. I wouldn't use those props anymore, even if they don't show external damage. And as someone mentioned, the bearings will get damaged on any hit, that's for sure.

Okay, you could still use such potentially damaged props for "testing" (say, far from other people and property, no expensive camera mounted), but you would still endanger yourself. I don't want to have a previously damaged blade coming off like a shuriken e.g. after start during the test hover a few meters in front of me right on eye height...

During 35+ years of flying RC I have never had a wooden prop that broke.
I can't understand people flying a rather high cost multi with cheap plastic blade.

I fly with the intention not to crash but some people do the opposite - they use bad/cheap equipment so it won't cost so much money WHEN they crash .....

During the ~3 years I flown multi's I havent had a single crash.
Nov 30, 2012, 08:43 AM
Quote:
During 35+ years of flying RC I have never had a wooden prop that broke.
I can't understand people flying a rather high cost multi with cheap plastic blade.

I fly with the intention not to crash but some people do the opposite - they use bad/cheap equipment so it won't cost so much money WHEN they crash .....

During the ~3 years I flown multi's I havent had a single crash.
Then you are not the average RC guy. I am not either. I started RC with a 23ccm 1.8m 10kg Vario Benzin Trainer (autolevel or RTH? LOL) and it is still in one piece without a single scratch. I am however very thankful to anyone who does crash frequently during learning because it's those people who keep the RC industry running with their regular apprentice's due, not us <pissing contest OFF>
Nov 30, 2012, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~>Miha<~
Then you are not the average RC guy. I am not either. I started RC with a 23ccm 1.8m 10kg Vario Benzin Trainer (autolevel or RTH? LOL) and it is still in one piece without a single scratch. I am however very thankful to anyone who does crash frequently during learning because it's those people who keep the RC industry running with their regular apprentice's due, not us <pissing contest OFF>
OMG, a Vario Benzin Trainer!
Big and rather stable I presume - I started flying heli in the 70's with a Schluter Heli-baby fixed pitch and no gyro.....

I may not be the average guy beacuse of my long time experience in RC but I was a total noob when I started with multis. But I did my homework and went through the rather long learning curve before I bought my first one.

I also always do a pre-flight checklist on my multis (and planes & helis) before take off, a habit I learned from flying real airplanes, gliders and ultralights.

Many crashes can be avoided using a checklist!

Quick Reply