Nov 16, 2012, 11:25 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Airbus A319 | 1:20 Scale | EDF | Dollar Tree Foam

After watching Mike Neff's beautiful depron airliners on youtube and following demondriver's amazing builds I wanted to build my own for over a year now. With the recent introduction of Dollar Tree stores here in Ottawa, Ontario this is finally possible. I just picked up 25 sheets!

I decided to build an Airbus A319-100, although I am unsure of what livery I will use yet.

Here's what I have planned:

- 66.5" Length
- 67.0" Wingspan
- 8.0" Fuselage Width
- 2x 2650mah 3S batteries
- 2x EDF Systems (Unsure of what to use yet)

The plan is to make it as light as possible for scale flight, hopefully in the 3.5-4.5 lbs. range.

Any suggestions on EDF systems? Right now I am considering the EDF55 from HK: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ed_199_8W.html

I already own one and the claimed thrust on 3S is 470g (16.5 oz.)
Last edited by preelude; Nov 17, 2012 at 12:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 16, 2012, 11:30 PM
Thread OP
Here is the progress so far. I started this morning but have been busy since afternoon, I am hoping to continue tomorrow and majority of Sunday.
Nov 17, 2012, 12:08 AM
Airliner Builder
Looking great preelude, I am looking forwards to more sir! I see you are doing the narrower IAE tubines but are you sure 55mm EDFs at the scale you are building will have enough mmmph? I would personally go with 64 if not 70mm especially with the two batteries.

Nice work!

Ethan
Nov 17, 2012, 12:27 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAGliderGuy
Looking great preelude, I am looking forwards to more sir! I see you are doing the narrower IAE tubines but are you sure 55mm EDFs at the scale you are building will have enough mmmph? I would personally go with 64 if not 70mm especially with the two batteries.

Nice work!

Ethan
Thanks Ethan,

Yes I am doing the IAE's, are they actually narrower or do they appear that way due to length?

So you say 64 or 70 huh? I think thats a good idea. Do you know what the E-Flite 777 uses for EDF's? Mike Neff seems to use that setup in a number of his airliners.

Peter
Nov 17, 2012, 12:40 AM
Airliner Builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by preelude
Thanks Ethan,

Yes I am doing the IAE's, are they actually narrower or do they appear that way due to length?

So you say 64 or 70 huh? I think thats a good idea. Do you know what the E-Flite 777 uses for EDF's? Mike Neff seems to use that setup in a number of his airliners.

Peter
Peter,

I am just guessing they are narrower then the other CFM engines but I might be wrong. Depending on where you place the EDF though, the longer nacelle will take away some thrust.

Neff uses the E-Flite Delta Vs I believe but I prefer the newer (and much cheaper) AEO motor/fan combos or if you have a large budget the ChangSun fans with a compatible motor.

I just started building a 63'' Douglas DC-9 and I am going to use these 64mm AEO fans on a 3S. I have ran them up and I am happy with the balancing, plus the six blades (instead of the four on the E-flites) give a slightely more realstic sound.

Because the nacelles are wider (always a nice thing ) I recommend the 70mm 8-blade AEO fans. They give a realistic look with the number of blades and the sound in the long nacelle would definitely have some turbine flyers turn their heads.

There are a number of EDF options out there, I am still new to these type of propulsions systems so I stick to the combos

Ethan
Nov 17, 2012, 01:10 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAGliderGuy
Peter,

I am just guessing they are narrower then the other CFM engines but I might be wrong. Depending on where you place the EDF though, the longer nacelle will take away some thrust.

Neff uses the E-Flite Delta Vs I believe but I prefer the newer (and much cheaper) AEO motor/fan combos or if you have a large budget the ChangSun fans with a compatible motor.

I just started building a 63'' Douglas DC-9 and I am going to use these 64mm AEO fans on a 3S. I have ran them up and I am happy with the balancing, plus the six blades (instead of the four on the E-flites) give a slightely more realstic sound.

Because the nacelles are wider (always a nice thing ) I recommend the 70mm 8-blade AEO fans. They give a realistic look with the number of blades and the sound in the long nacelle would definitely have some turbine flyers turn their heads.

There are a number of EDF options out there, I am still new to these type of propulsions systems so I stick to the combos

Ethan
Cool, just did some quick research on the AEO 70. Sounds awesome! Plus HB has them for $18.48.
Nov 17, 2012, 01:03 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Prelude . . . ..Where have you been Hiding your sweet A319? Looking Great!

Sub-Me-Up-Scottie!
Nov 17, 2012, 03:41 PM
Closed Account
Btw at the larger fan sizes 50mm and up longer thrust tubes straightens the Efflux and makes it more efficient thus producing some more thrust
Nov 17, 2012, 05:02 PM
Subbed
Good work so far
Nov 17, 2012, 08:20 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys. I'm really excited about this build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DFoamieFlyyer
Btw at the larger fan sizes 50mm and up longer thrust tubes straightens the Efflux and makes it more efficient thus producing some more thrust
Excellent news!
Nov 17, 2012, 08:22 PM
Thread OP
Worked on the canopy area today. Here's the progress so far.

What could I use as a putty to fill gaps that would be relatively lightweight?
Nov 17, 2012, 09:34 PM
Looking good.

Find this at you local hardware store ( home depot, lowes ..)

http://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Patch...1#.UKhIPWt5mSM

Where are you located?
Nov 17, 2012, 09:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doushiyou12
Looking good.

Find this at you local hardware store ( home depot, lowes ..)

http://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Patch...1#.UKhIPWt5mSM

Where are you located?
Awesome. Thanks.

I'm in Ottawa, Ontario. I'm sure the local Home Depot has it as well.
Nov 17, 2012, 10:17 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Your A319 Nose looks great!. . . .. Very Nice work Preelude!
Nov 18, 2012, 12:01 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver
Your A319 Nose looks great!. . . .. Very Nice work Preelude!
Thanks demon!

Quick Reply