Nov 15, 2012, 09:35 AM
Registered Crasher
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites
What TX are you using? If you turned off your TX to "test failsafe" your tx and rx probably didn't start talking after you turned it back on so the Naza stayed in failsafe.

BTW... why are you in here posting while your quad is out in a tree ruining a battery? Get out there and take care of your business and THEN post questions.
I didn't turn off the radio, just used a switch, The light on the Naza even changed back saying I had control. The radio was a range checked DX 18 and a DSMX 6 ch full range RX.
What's also bugging me is that the Naza was in "intelligent" cut off mode. Why did it keep running after it hit something ans was upside down? I have a feeling I will be talking to DJI customer service on this one.

Normally I would go take care of the quad first, but being as smart as I am, I did this at night. I have someone on the way to help me get it now. I also would have been quicker tro do something about it, but within the first few seconds, I could hear one of the motors already going bad,

Thank you everyone for your insight and replies

Will
to remove ads between posts
Nov 15, 2012, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the Fish
Will, did you set up "preset failsafe" in your receiver? I don't know many 6 ch receivers that have that feature.
Nov 15, 2012, 10:22 AM
Registered Crasher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed
Will, did you set up "preset failsafe" in your receiver? I don't know many 6 ch receivers that have that feature.
As I was told by HorizonHobby, every DSMX RX has a failsafe on all channels. I followed the steps they gave me to set it up. (Boot RX in bind mode, but remove plug before putting the TX in bind while holding the switches and sticks where you want them.)

This was the first flight with RTH so I had not tested it with the radio off, yet. I would imagine it would not be much different than activating it via switch,
Nov 15, 2012, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by h00t
The only way out of failsafe (RTH) mode is to turn off the failsafe mode, take out out of a GPS dependent mode (switch off to ATTI or Manual) and then RE-ENGAGE GPS Hold mode. In other words, you have to break the GPS link and then turn it back on for you to regain control.
I tried all... change modes but there was no answer at all. It did not answer at all. Of course I tried to change to a atti mode (I had no manual mode in my switches), and also to a gps mode and also to a... I even cut the ch3 to crash it.. nothing. It flaw away...

This is a serious issue in the Naza+GPS that must be corrected and for a while everybody should know it to test it.
Nov 15, 2012, 11:42 AM
Redneck Injuneer
I could be wrong since I'm really new at this but the way I read the manual, you have to go back to manual control mode then cycle back to ATTI or GPS to get it out of RTH failsafe when activated.
Nov 15, 2012, 12:22 PM
Empire Support

Naza Manual Pg 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill34207
I could be wrong since I'm really new at this but the way I read the manual, you have to go back to manual control mode then cycle back to ATTI or GPS to get it out of RTH failsafe when activated.
Actually, it's switch back to Atti or Manual mode.
See attached...
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Nov 15, 2012 at 12:37 PM.
Nov 15, 2012, 12:28 PM
Lt Col, USAF, Retired
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert
Actually, its switch back to Atti or Manual mode.
See attached...
Done it probably a 50 times. Failsafe sw off, Switch to ATTI, back to GPS, then I have full control again. Never had an issue.
Nov 15, 2012, 12:36 PM
Empire Support

@ RC_Kid

"What's also bugging me is that the Naza was in "intelligent" cut off mode. Why did it keep running after it hit something ans was upside down? I have a feeling I will be talking to DJI customer service on this one."
The Manual does say slope angle over 70 degrees and throttle below 10% = automatic motor stop in Intelligent Mode. (see attached)
Several of us have experienced motors still running when the airframe is upside down. It was concluded months ago that upside down may confuse the FC.
If you do happen to end up on the ground, up-side-down, get to your airframe ASAP, expect the motors to still be on, and get the props free of obstructions so that the motors and ESCs don't fry.
Also, in Failsafe Mode motors are supposed to "auto flame out" when landed".
(see attached)
Up in a tree is not back to ground zero. The Baro sensor thinks the airframe is still airborne. You may have FC confusion here too.
My $.02...
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Nov 15, 2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Added ESC burn-out warning...
Nov 15, 2012, 12:43 PM
FlyLikeAnEagle-LandLikeADove
Quote:
Several of us have experienced motors still running when the airframe is upside down. It was concluded months ago that upside down may confuse the FC.
Yes, I have experienced this. I wondered why they didn't shut off.
Nov 15, 2012, 12:57 PM
Registered Crasher
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert
"What's also bugging me is that the Naza was in "intelligent" cut off mode. Why did it keep running after it hit something ans was upside down? I have a feeling I will be talking to DJI customer service on this one."
The Manual does say slope angle over 70 degrees and throttle below 10% = automatic motor stop in Intelligent Mode. (see attached)
Also, in Failsafe Mode motors are supposed to "auto flame out" when landed".
(see attached)
Up in a tree is not back to ground zero. The Baro sensor thinks the airframe is still airborne. You may have FC confusion here too.
My $.02...

That is true. Although it did over shoot the home position by about 15-20 feet to reach the tree. I am aware that a GPS is not super accurate, and has to have some process time. What still is bugging me is that the FC would not let me resume control. As a safety measure, you should always be able to resume control, or at least shut the motors.

I also read somewhere (Forget where in the manual), that it assumes it's landed either by reaching home location or not descending anymore. But I could be wrong.

Anyway, I have the quad back despite a bad motor bearing, no props left, and a dead lipo.

Thank you everyone for all your opinions and responses, they are greatly appreciated. If I find any more info to the cause of my crash, I will be sure to post it.

Thanks
Will
Nov 15, 2012, 01:00 PM
I never finish anyth
I read somewhere the GPS is accurate to 6 meters, thats 19ft. Sounds to me the failsafe was working, you just lost connection to the naza somehow.
Nov 15, 2012, 01:03 PM
Registered Crasher
Quote:
I read somewhere the GPS is accurate to 6 meters, thats 19ft. Sounds to me the failsafe was working, you just lost connection to the naza somehow.
The NAZA was responding fine, as the light was indicating that I was out of failsafe mode. It also continued to respond via LED once in the tree, but would not let me shut the motors.
Nov 15, 2012, 01:09 PM
Empire Support

Hover Accuracy

Quote:
Manual states hovering accuracy to be +- 2.5m (horizontal) in GPS. I wouldn't expect RTH to be quite that good.
Since I don't "play" with RTH anymore, I've no experience to share.
Once (before I "played" too much) the airframe sat back down within a foot or two of the take-off point...
Nov 15, 2012, 01:11 PM
Lt Col, USAF, Retired
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Kid
The NAZA was responding fine, as the light was indicating that I was out of failsafe mode. It also continued to respond via LED once in the tree, but would not let me shut the motors.
What exact model of receiver do you have? As someone mentioned earlier, some receivers have failsafe modes that just return the sticks to center. Others have failsafe modes that set the sticks/switches to your preferences. You need the latter for the Naza to work in failsafe.
Nov 15, 2012, 01:14 PM
Empire Support

Not Being Pessimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Kid
I'm growing cynical about some Naza mysteries.
I've experienced more than my share here lately.
This failure to recognize CSC may be one of those we can talk to death, and never know.
It's a shame that DJI is not more forthcoming with explanations, but they don't seem too interested in sharing much...

Quick Reply