Nov 06, 2012, 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z
I am thinking of making step by step HD videos for updating the firmware to the
deviation firmware, how to bind, and show the menus.
Thanks, videos would be great for people switching to deviation, but if I were you, I would wait for the first public release to do that, because this fw will still change a lot until that.
...and I think even after that...
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2012, 11:09 AM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangebound
Hey Tom ... Videos would be a great help for the lesser techy pilots, and
I think it would be really helpful (for everyone) to have a vid that walks through a heli setup showing how the new software relates to the more standard way of doing things. EG how to set TravAdj etc.

BTW is that a FB 4G6 you have setup. I still havent looked into how to setup flybarred swash mixes. If it is I'd be real grateful if I could get a copy of the ini file.
Quote:
Thanks for posting this rangebound. I just installed it in my Devo 10 and it works great.
I was able to bind with my Mini CP and 4G6. I no longer have my mCPX or I would try it also.

When I installed the deviation firmware my models were no longer there.
I backed mine up before the update. I went back to the original Devo 10
firmware and my models are now there again and everything works fine.

Tom

Hi, correct that is a 4G6 with a flybar and RX2610V2.
I went back to the original firmware on my Devo 10 so I can't
send you the setup file which I would have been glad to do.

Here are the settings for the 4G6 with a flybar and RX2610V2.

First post below the Setup Guide Index.
On Step #6 use option 2.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1325037

Tom
Nov 06, 2012, 11:15 AM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDR_
Thanks, videos would be great for people switching to deviation, but if I were you, I would wait for the first public release to do that, because this fw will still change a lot until that.
...and I think even after that...
Quote:
Thanks for posting this rangebound. I just installed it in my Devo 10 and it works great.
I was able to bind with my Mini CP and 4G6. I no longer have my mCPX or I would try it also.

When I installed the deviation firmware my models were no longer there.
I backed mine up before the update. I went back to the original Devo 10
firmware and my models are now there again and everything works fine.

Tom

OK I will wait until the first public release to make some videos.
Also I see they are using some of my beginner settings for there models on the Model Configs page.
Thanks for listing they were from my setup guides. Feel free to use any more you need from my sticky.

Tom
Nov 07, 2012, 05:45 PM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
Based on Tom's review, I ended buying a new V120D02S-V2 to see if it was as good as all of the positive reviews make it out to be. IMO, it flies awesome and is fully 3D capable (unlike the original V120 series) and Manny was able to do an entire 3D routine with her last week at the field. It is the first Walkera FBL heli he has been able to that with so far. No bobbles or bad tendencies that the older Rx firmware had. Pretty nice. The only thing was the slow flip/roll rates. I ordered a set of KBDD blades for it and flew her today (with the TA915 motor and stock pinion) and the rates are now perfect. I am very happy I got this heli and now it appears that my high maintenance 130X's are going to see significant shelf time. Thinking of going 2s on this heli for kicks. But for now, the 1s version is really good.
Nov 07, 2012, 07:30 PM
IHW Heli Division
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji
Based on Tom's review, I ended buying a new V120D02S-V2 to see if it was as good as all of the positive reviews make it out to be. IMO, it flies awesome and is fully 3D capable (unlike the original V120 series) and Manny was able to do an entire 3D routine with her last week at the field. It is the first Walkera FBL heli he has been able to that with so far. No bobbles or bad tendencies that the older Rx firmware had. Pretty nice. The only thing was the slow flip/roll rates. I ordered a set of KBDD blades for it and flew her today (with the TA915 motor and stock pinion) and the rates are now perfect. I am very happy I got this heli and now it appears that my high maintenance 130X's are going to see significant shelf time. Thinking of going 2s on this heli for kicks. But for now, the 1s version is really good.
Well, with your approval, the 6 axis unit must perform sufficiently. I had suspected you were flying 130X's now . It's nice to know that i can comfortably say the new 6 axis is not a pile for 3D. So now i can continue to recommend it for a good trainer heli. After all it did me well over the last 8 months. I'm still using my old 2801-pro version RX on my V120D02S. It does have a few issues, like you said with bobbling around from time to time. I had always kind of blamed the blades for that though. But with that same setup you have now, the 215-10T/stock pinion and the KDBB blades. The heli really does scream well for 3 minutes or so with the stock pack. I honestly can't complain about it. I have just been worried about the new 6 axis RX. I just can't be bothered to test it myself, being already invested in their older system TX.

Just something to consider though. I'm sure you already have. If you happen to find a 8T pinion for motor. I think that might even work better for prolonged 3d routines, like Manny would be doing. It would probably increase flight times, but reduce head speed. I'm not sure if the trade off is worth it for 3D routines. But i would think a reduction in head speed on the pinion would not hurt too much with the KDBB blades. It should give some head room on the amperage draw of the motor for prolonged 3D, i think. I just have been too lazy to order one from Holland. I think a few other guys tried the smaller pinions and preferred it. Just something to consider if you end up bogging out too early in 3D. Of course, i've heard the 2S system is quite a screamer too. But right now the Castle 10A ESC with a governor has my attention. Expensive, but the governor might be worth it.

As always, thanks for your input. Now my only concern is the random QC issues that might be the explanation for some peoples "6 axis effect". I suppose we could chalk it up to personal flight ability/style or settings. Though i have not seen anyone complain about it on the V120 in a little while. So maybe it was just a batch of early units with the issue. It wouldn't be the first time, i think.

Thank you for your experienced input.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Nov 07, 2012 at 07:35 PM.
Nov 07, 2012, 09:40 PM
Weird thing happened yesterday. I was doing front flips and all the sudden I had a mechanical failure. The heli folded up like a dead bird and came spiraling down. I quickly cut the throttle and luckly when it hit the grass nothing else broke. I could see that the elevator servo was slammed all the way down. When I unplugged and replugged the battery it bound up and the servo popped back up. When I spooled up in my hand the servo slammed back down again. I guess it crapped out in mid air and caused the crash. Very strange. I've had servos break in a crash but never in mid air. I've not even crashed this heli in a while so I guess it wore out or the strain of the front flips caused it to break.

Hey Integrity, I have a 6 axis RX you can try if you like. I can't recall if you have a Devo yet but it's the 6 axis from the "new" V120D02s. I just wasn't for me so I changed it back out to the 3 axis. If you are intersted I'll put it in the mail for you to try out.
Nov 07, 2012, 09:48 PM
Heli collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis MCH
Weird thing happened yesterday. I was doing front flips and all the sudden I had a mechanical failure. The heli folded up like a dead bird and came spiraling down. I quickly cut the throttle and luckly when it hit the grass nothing else broke. I could see that the elevator servo was slammed all the way down. When I unplugged and replugged the battery it bound up and the servo popped back up. When I spooled up in my hand the servo slammed back down again. I guess it crapped out in mid air and caused the crash. Very strange. I've had servos break in a crash but never in mid air. I've not even crashed this heli in a while so I guess it wore out or the strain of the front flips caused it to break.

Hey Integrity, I have a 6 axis RX you can try if you like. I can't recall if you have a Devo yet but it's the 6 axis from the "new" V120D02s. I just wasn't for me so I changed it back out to the 3 axis. If you are intersted I'll put it in the mail for you to try out.
If he doesn't want it I do.. Would like to try it with my DEVO 10 in a older V120D02..
Nov 07, 2012, 10:04 PM
astroX, Warpquad,Geprc,Diatone
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji
You're lucky...I can't seem to get rid of mines tendency to buck in ff flight and occasionally just completely flare upwards if I get going too fast. My old v120 with the 2801pro compatible rx was rock solid at any speed. I think I'm going to put deviation on my devo8s and go back to the old v120rx.

edit....are there two versions of the devo rx out for the v120d02s? How do I tell which I have, is the rx model name different? Mine is the RX2636H-D
Nov 07, 2012, 10:23 PM
There is the RX2622V-D which is the 3 axis devo one.
Nov 07, 2012, 10:25 PM
IHW Heli Division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis MCH

I would LOVE to try one. But i don't have a devo TX. I bought a spek DX8 instead. I was going to get the magic cube for my 2801-pro. But it turns out that it's buggy and doesn't work properly, maybe they fixed it but i can't afford the thing after buying the X5. So you can hold on to it. I appreciate the offer. If i could get a hold of a devo tx i would really like to try the 6 axis. But, I'm playing catch up pretty hard after dropping cash on the DX8 with the RX and telemetry module. Unfortunately the Telemetry module burned up in the install. Maybe a defective wire or something. Not sure. But it's looking like HH is going to replace it for me. I'm waiting to hear back from them because they asked for receipts for proof of purchase.

You check and reseat the servo plugs? Make sure they are not loose or frayed at the connector? That can cause the strange throw on the servo. It sounds like its still working but the pulse is being read incorrectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man
You're lucky...I can't seem to get rid of mines tendency to buck in ff flight and occasionally just completely flare upwards if I get going too fast. My old v120 with the 2801pro compatible rx was rock solid at any speed. I think I'm going to put deviation on my devo8s and go back to the old v120rx.

edit....are there two versions of the devo rx out for the v120d02s? How do I tell which I have, is the rx model name different? Mine is the RX2636H-D
Yes, the original V1 RX for the V120D02S was the 2622V for 2801-pro or 2622V-D for Devo.

Try turning the Gyro gain pot UP on your RX. Some have found this will help to compensate for the 2nd set of "3 axis gyro" which is the 3 accelerometers added to make it 6 axis. It's only a going theory but you might be able to help determine if turning UP the gyros on the 6 axis will help eliminate that "6 axis effect". OR it could be that there was some that perform differently and are buggy due to QC issues. I wouldn't doubt if you have already tried and failed though?
Nov 07, 2012, 10:42 PM
I had two V120D02's set up exactly the same with same stock motors but one with the 3 axis and one with the 6 axis. Every time I took them out to fly I would crash the 6 axis during the first pack. I tried out the 6 axis for about a month or two and finally took it out. I used it for a while in my V120D05 and it was no better. Too much pitch up and bucking on fast forward flight. I tuned the gyro pot in every which way with no improvment. I tend to not fly very level and the 6 axis was just not forgiving at all. It WANTS to be level all the time so for my flying style it didn't work. I found I was constantly fighting it and it made flips, rolls, and steep banking very difficult. The RX2622V-D (3 axis) is still the favorite with me. Now days I hardly crash unless I have a mechanical failure.
Nov 07, 2012, 10:44 PM
astroX, Warpquad,Geprc,Diatone
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk

Yes, the original V1 RX for the V120D02S was the 2622V for 2801-pro or 2622V-D for Devo.

Try turning the Gyro gain pot UP on your RX. Some have found this will help to compensate for the 2nd set of "3 axis gyro" which is the 3 accelerometers added to make it 6 axis. It's only a going theory but you might be able to help determine if turning UP the gyros on the 6 axis will help eliminate that "6 axis effect". OR it could be that there was some that perform differently and are buggy due to QC issues. I wouldn't doubt if you have already tried and failed though?
yeah, I've tried it with the gyro turned almost all teh way down and as high as it would go without getting jittery (and everywhere in between) but the unstable ff flight is always there...it was much worse (pretty much unflyable) with the kbdd 130x blades I tried on it. I am running the hp08 16500kv motor on it so the extra power and head speed may be making it worse than it would be with the stock motor as well but my 3axis rx worked perfect with the same motor.
Nov 07, 2012, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk

Thank god the new 2702V wow sent me with the long antenna wires was not locking out on me. 4 packs and still going. I'm starting to just let the heli loose a bit more now. I'm tired of restraining myself with it to prevent myself from thumbing it into the ground, only to have walkera do it for me with a lock out. So i'm going to be doing more with this heli now.
I've been using an RX801 with short antennas on my FBL 500 with absolutely zero problems.

Antennas are white because the originals were damaged so I replaced them with identical length pieces of wire (41mm from surface of board to tip of wire) They're pretty easy to replace because they're just simple lengths of wire soldered into through holes at the edge of the board.
Nov 07, 2012, 11:41 PM
IHW Heli Division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull
I've been using an RX801 with short antennas on my FBL 500 with absolutely zero problems.

Antennas are white because the originals were damaged so I replaced them with identical length pieces of wire (41mm from surface of board to tip of wire) They're pretty easy to replace because they're just simple lengths of wire soldered into through holes at the edge of the board.
From appearance. It is mounted on top of a plastic shelf? That alone is a big help i think with signal loss or "CF shadowing" from the large heli frame. You also have the antennas positioned in the proper shape and direction for antenna polarization and they are not near the frame, really. They are exposed out the side and back away from the frame. This is good. The v450 has a CF RX shelf. Typically speaking. With good antenna polarization it really shouldn't matter if it's mounted with short wires like this. Even on, and with CF around it. BUT for some reason, Walkera was having issues with it and wow hobbies refused to sell the V500 as it was. The assumed revision that got the V500 on wow hobbie's shelf was long antennas on the RX. Which is the RX i am now using on the V450 without issue for, humm 20 or so flights now, at least.

I also have to report that my X5 and DX8 are working out nicely. I have no regrets for buying a DX8 for it's cost. It's functionality is substantial and you can assign the main switches though the software to flip the flight mode and throttle hold to where we are used to as Walkera TX users. Plus being completely plug & play with Phoenix after calibration was pretty nice. Now to recover for all this expense and try and find a way to get a nano to bang around in my house. I've recently posted about antenna polarization and information i've found in my Spektrum manual here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3520

That looks like a Tarot? Is that the one you just got a few weeks back? Something like that? They are shaping up to be one of my favorite brands right now! I'm thinking of later building something by them. /shrug. I have almost everything i need now besides that nano. I might do a new 250 soon. I'll bet they have a nice one.
Nov 08, 2012, 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man
Have you updated it's firmware?

There is a version 1.1 on the Walkera site since 2012/08/23:
http://www.walkera.com/cn/soft_up/so...20V120D02S.zip

Quick Reply