Nov 06, 2012, 09:36 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Spektrum DX8 - Would You Buy It Again?

I Have a DX6i now and want to upgrade.

I'm very interested in the DX8 but concerned about some negative user reports. I use a mix of Spektrum and Orange receivers and all is good with my DX6i. I don't want to crash my models because of transmitter problems.

Have all of the DX8 significant problems been resolved, are there any lingering software or hardware problems that I should be concerned about?

Does it make any difference where I purchase a DX8 in terms of getting one that is bug free?

Thank you!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2012, 10:07 AM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
None of the Airware issue will cause you to crash and not aware of any hardware fault. You can research and read up on online stuff but you really should visit LHS and hold it and play with it if they allow that stuff at your location.

There have be legit reports posted here but remember many of them are from owners or ex-owners that have a beef with the company and just want to stir things up.

I sent mine 3-4 times back to HH but that's all in the past BUT never once did it put any of my planes into the ground. Many of those reports posted are most likely from another issue but considering the past it's easy to blame the radio.

Like I said there have been legit issues BUT HH always takes care of things and today the DX8 is better for it, you should have no reasons to worry about if it's time for you to upgrade. It's a great radio and you will never be able to go back to the DX8.
Nov 06, 2012, 11:05 AM
I am in the market for a DX8 also but will hold off a bit until I finish researching the DX18. So many have upgraded, I want to make sure it fills my needs. I'm looking at some future bomber projects and need enough channels for independent doors and drop function. So far I count 9 channels unless I can do some tricky mixing. Miscellaneous functions can be done on a separate transmitter. Having said all that, I'm sold on spektrum, been flying the DX7 since it came out with no problems. And I do like HH service.
Edwin
Nov 06, 2012, 11:22 AM
Edwin, the DX8 is a great radio but you really should think more toward the DX18. With a big scale project you want to be able to use the XPLUS functions for all those auxiliary items you'll be adding.

Andy
Nov 06, 2012, 11:33 AM
Thats pretty much the way I'm leaning.
Edwin
Nov 06, 2012, 06:36 PM
I have a DX8, and yes, I would buy it again. I like the triple rates, the user interface is pretty intuitive, not hard to use at all.

I haven't used the telemetry yet, not sure if I will, so that's not a big issue for me, but I do like the way the radio works and the way it feels to use. I don't fly with a neckstrap, and the rubberized sides / grips give a very confident feel, the radio isn't going to slip out of my hands.
Nov 06, 2012, 07:10 PM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
I started RC in 1974 with a HeathKit and then Futaba for many years. I was away from the hobby for ten years and came back in 2005. Bought a Spektrum DX7 (DSM2) and flew micros, 450 helis, park fliers, ¼ scale, and 3 meter sailplanes. Two years ago I sold the DX7 and bought a DX8. I love this radio. I have a mix of DSM2 and DSMX receivers including HobbyKing Orange and Chinese Spek knockoffs. I’ve had 3 meter sailplanes to 3200’ elevation with zero antenna frames lost. Nice reassuring feature to be able to quantify the RF reception, Rx minimum voltage, and LiPo voltage for every flight. Best $400 hobby dollars I ever spent.
Nov 06, 2012, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Edwin, the DX8 is a great radio but you really should think more toward the DX18. With a big scale project you want to be able to use the XPLUS functions for all those auxiliary items you'll be adding.

Andy
This is the problem I am facing now. Never thought I would need more than 8 channels but here I am needing 12 channels on a giant scale plane. I am on my way to a DX18 in the next week or so. But since you asked, yes, I would buy another DX8. It is a great radio and I find it ergonomically very comfortable.

Harry
Nov 07, 2012, 02:30 AM
I'm totally down on the DX8 and Spektrum in general. I have one. I will not use it again. I will replace it with a Futaba 2.4gHz system.
I lost 1 airplane and damaged another within 1 hour last weekend and I'm sure it was loss of or glitch in the Tx signal.
Both planes took a dive to the right and went down. The first was on landing approach. I was over the end of the runway about 10-15 feet high. It went down in tall grass and cartwheeled with the wing hitting first. Ripped out the wing saddle and surrounding area. The second one I was doing a medium speed pass over the runway at about 30-40 feet high. Plane dove right and went in the ground nose first. Destroyed. All who saw what happened witnessed my attempts at correction with no radio response. All batteries and servos were checked afterwards. Good charge and servos functional.
I've heard and read similar stories about Spektrum but never thought they were more than exaggerations or disgruntled owners.
No I would not buy another Spektrum radio or recommend it.
Nov 07, 2012, 05:43 AM
Nej on the DX8, Hell Yeah ! on the DX18.
Feels like a different brand...
Nov 07, 2012, 06:07 AM
I crashed 4 planes with my DX8 and won't buy it again... Since I switched to Futaba I never crashed again. I like the look & feel + software of the DX8 but I simply don't trust it any more. Tooo bad...
Nov 07, 2012, 06:08 PM
I had to send my DX8 back to Horizon Hobby three times. Last time, HH sent me a totally new radio system, with battery and receiver. That's excellent service!

Yes, I'd buy a DX8 again.

Jim R.
Nov 07, 2012, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRuggiero
I had to send my DX8 back to Horizon Hobby three times. Last time, HH sent me a totally new radio system, with battery and receiver. That's excellent service!

Yes, I'd buy a DX8 again.

Jim R.
I agree with the quality of Horizon Hobby support. They are terrific. That does not validate the product.
What was the problem with your DX8 that caused you to return it 3 times? And you'd still buy another?
Ford is a great company, but it did make and sell the Ford Pinto and it did kill lots of people.
Nov 07, 2012, 06:36 PM
and what do you drive ?
has anyone ever been killed in one?
Nov 07, 2012, 06:42 PM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIHS Report
The model with the highest death rate of all — the two-door, two-wheel-drive Chevrolet Blazer with 308 driver deaths per million registered years — also had the highest rollover death rate (251 per million).
Love my New 2013 Ford Edge.

Quick Reply