Nov 05, 2012, 12:30 PM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er
Just ordered a 4330-435 last night. I can't wait for it to get here. I had to part out my last 48'' plane to get the money for it but it'll be worth it to get this thing flying. Now i just need to order my 1258TGs and i'l have it in the air.
I'm eager to hear what you think about this plane. I'm guessing that you're really going to love it.

I'd like to eventually get a 72" Extra so I can compare but it's hard to imagine anything flying any better than what I've got now.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2012, 12:38 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
I'm eager to hear what you think about this plane. I'm guessing that you're really going to love it.

I'd like to eventually get a 72" Extra so I can compare but it's hard to imagine anything flying any better than what I've got now.
really liked my 71 slick. Unfortunately it took a dirt nap and was replaced with a 74" edge. I think the Edge is a little easier to do rollers with, but there's something about the 71 Slick that is just so appealing. I'll probably get another 71 some day after the 74 is replaced.
Nov 05, 2012, 12:47 PM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk
really liked my 71 slick. Unfortunately it took a dirt nap and was replaced with a 74" edge. I think the Edge is a little easier to do rollers with, but there's something about the 71 Slick that is just so appealing. I'll probably get another 71 some day after the 74 is replaced.
Wow... the Edge must be really easy to do rollers with then because I thought doing rollers on the Slick was just insanely easy. I think it has a little to do with the fact that this is the biggest plane I've ever flown so it really does feel like everything is in slow motion.
Nov 05, 2012, 12:50 PM
Gone Huckin'
I just ran some numbers on a prop engine calculator (http://rcwebclub.com/PropEngine.aspx) and I wasn't imagining things. My 57" Extra is likely topping out at around 65mph and the Slick with the 19x8 prop is likely topping out at around 53mph. If I put a 19x10 on there it should get up to around 67mph which will feel similar to my Extra I'm guessing. The thrust to weight ratio is pretty similar between the two as well.

I don't necessarilly need my planes to be screaming fast or anything but I'd just like to fly it both ways and see which prop I prefer. I'll post my thoughts once I get a chance to do some expirementing.
Nov 05, 2012, 02:01 PM
Santi
Bought an ice 100 on the classifieds 2 Fridays ago, was supposed to be shipped last Monday. Just sent a text asking for a tracking number, he says he just shipped Friday and still hasn't responded with a tracking number.. Not happy the slick is not in the air still. I was supposed to get that esc last Wednesday!

I'm need that slick fix!!
Nov 05, 2012, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
I just ran some numbers on a prop engine calculator (http://rcwebclub.com/PropEngine.aspx) and I wasn't imagining things. My 57" Extra is likely topping out at around 65mph and the Slick with the 19x8 prop is likely topping out at around 53mph. If I put a 19x10 on there it should get up to around 67mph which will feel similar to my Extra I'm guessing. The thrust to weight ratio is pretty similar between the two as well.

I don't necessarilly need my planes to be screaming fast or anything but I'd just like to fly it both ways and see which prop I prefer. I'll post my thoughts once I get a chance to do some expirementing.
I was at an electric fly-in on Saturday; the event had a radar speed trap setup so you could get a MPH reading on your plane.

My 71" Slick has a Tacon 110, on 8S with a 19X8 JXF gas prop. Did two passes on the radar, 66 mph WOT...........very clam day so no wind to skew the speed. Plenty fast for me.
Last edited by Capt. Roll; Nov 05, 2012 at 03:26 PM.
Nov 05, 2012, 02:36 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
That prop calc showed my setup at only 7000rpm and l measured 7800rpms. That's a huge difference. I am willing to bet mine is in the mid 60s for top speed too. No doubt that the 50+" planes can be setup for faster. I know mine were.
Nov 05, 2012, 03:46 PM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic
That prop calc showed my setup at only 7000rpm and l measured 7800rpms. That's a huge difference. I am willing to bet mine is in the mid 60s for top speed too. No doubt that the 50+" planes can be setup for faster. I know mine were.
Man. It just makes me wonder if there's something in my setup that's causing the plane to lag a little. BUT... I only got to fly it a few times and part of me honestly thinks that it's just a perception thing. I mean the plane is freakin' HUGE compared to what I'm used to flying. So the larger size may appear to be moving slower through the air than it really is.

I'll post up some video the next time I go flying so you can see what you think by looking at it.
Nov 05, 2012, 04:33 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Perception is some of it for sure. My 51 slick looks a lot faster than my 71 but when side by side flying its not really.
Nov 05, 2012, 04:35 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Michael do you have a tach and watt meter? Heck just a tach will tell us for sure.
Nov 05, 2012, 05:11 PM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
Michael do you have a tach and watt meter? Heck just a tach will tell us for sure.
Nope. I guess I need to get myself one or both of those... long overdue!
Nov 05, 2012, 05:23 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Quote:
Perception is some of it for sure. My 51 slick looks a lot faster than my 71 but when side by side flying its not really.
Do you fly them side by side often??? How do you do that...one transmitter in your hand, one with your toes???

SteveT
Latest blog entry: My old shop....
Nov 05, 2012, 06:34 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Brother flying one and me another. Wish l could fly two at a time
Nov 05, 2012, 11:14 PM
Nothin Ventured, Nothin Gained
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT.
Do you fly them side by side often??? How do you do that...one transmitter in your hand, one with your toes???

SteveT
Matt does have mad skills.
Nov 05, 2012, 11:25 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Yup!!

SteveT
Latest blog entry: My old shop....

Quick Reply