Nov 03, 2012, 11:54 AM
Bvc
Bvc
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromnewo
I have one old style (heavier) flybar, but never installed it on a helicopter. How much difference does it make to performance? Has anyone tried a lighter flybar than the stock new one? I'm thinking of removing the weights from my old style one and experimenting with little screws as ballast.
I don't have a new version, but I have replace the weights in the old version with lighter syma s107 weights. I don't know their weight, so can't compare to the new version, not having one or a way to weigh them both. I get more flight time and quicker response. Almost too much for my liking, but I like a more realistic look in flight. I love it indoors on low and doube rate, but I'm not crazy about it outdoor in the wind in double rate, because the heli does a lot more bopping up and down and diving toward the ground. I'm getting better at finding that fine line for smoother flight though. Of course, another benefit is less canopy strikes. It also doesn't "lock" in flight as much. I've also tried less weight using screws and found it to be too lite, so I am curious what the difference in weight is between the new version and s107 weights.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2012, 11:59 AM
Sir Crashalot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvc
I don't have a new version, but I have replace the weights in the old version with lighter syma s107 weights. I don't know their weight, so can't compare to the new version, not having one or a way to weigh them both. I get more flight time and quicker response. Almost too much for my liking, but I like a more realistic look in flight. I love it indoors on low and doube rate, but I'm not crazy about it outdoor in the wind in double rate, because the heli does a lot more bopping up and down and diving toward the ground. I'm getting better at finding that fine line for smoother flight though. Of course, another benefit is less canopy strikes. It also doesn't "lock" in flight as much. I've also tried less weight using screws and found it to be too lite, so I am curious what the difference in weight is between the new version and s107 weights.
I've asked Aaron of BG whether the ones they carry are the new smaller weight version or the old larger ones. He responded that they are out of stock at the moment but will find out when they get some in stock.
Nov 04, 2012, 12:04 AM
My goal is fly more crash less

Got the shakes

Well I had a slight crash and now my heli has quite a vibration. She flies but man the shakes. Checked everything and can't find the source. All the connections are good. Flybar isn't at all bent or missing a weight.

The only thing that looks slightly amiss is the white glue on the circuit board that runs over the small silver cylinder thing is cracked enought that I can clearly see the entire length of the cylinder.

But that's it.
Nov 04, 2012, 12:47 AM
Vids: YouTube.com/FyreSG
Check if the blades are cracked. That was the cause of the nasty vibrations in one of my V911s. It could be a really fine crack that is only visible upon close examination.
Nov 04, 2012, 01:30 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obiorion
Well I had a slight crash and now my heli has quite a vibration. She flies but man the shakes. Checked everything and can't find the source. All the connections are good. Flybar isn't at all bent or missing a weight.

The only thing that looks slightly amiss is the white glue on the circuit board that runs over the small silver cylinder thing is cracked enought that I can clearly see the entire length of the cylinder.

But that's it.
Got the shakes? Just lay off the coffee, would you?

Vibration like that is usually from the flybar, or the blades, or a bent shaft. If I were you, I would take off one thing at a time, bench the helicopter and spin up until you could find the source of the vibration.

I know you said that you've checked the flybar. But take it off the head anyway. See how the helicopter spins up. Obviously, it won't be able to fly. You are just trying to isolate the problem. If the vibration is still there, take the rotors off as well. I have a gut feeling that you may find the feathering shaft messed up. If not, you would likely see a bent shaft.
Nov 04, 2012, 11:00 AM
My goal is fly more crash less

Got the Shakes but it's not from Coffee :-)

Thanks for the suggestions FyreSG and Heli Pad. Just for kicks I did try swapping out the Flybar but no change. I'll give the blades a closer inspection along with the shaft. Extra blades I have aplenty but I don't have any shafts (insert joke here...or don't :-) ).

Last thing though -- what's a feathering shaft?

Thanks!
Nov 04, 2012, 05:28 PM
After a crash I had the same exact issue, it ended up being a rotor blade screw had flew off. I had checked everything but that little screw passed me by. It must of been loose enough to hold it in place but the crash must of ejected it out and it was flyable, but vibrating like like it was sitting in a massage chair, hehe. Screw back in and the shakes were gone.
Nov 04, 2012, 05:30 PM
I built a paddle flybar today, using the stock flybar, and extreme paddles for a Blade 120SR.I had these left over. The weight seems about the same as the stock shorty flybar.Nice backed turns, and better FF then before.No flybar strikes, and no more lost weights.
Nov 04, 2012, 05:50 PM
Yeah, but those paddles are crazy huge. I am still waiting on my V911, but I want to know what paddles are a direct or close fit so I can have more control authority than I am used to with my Solo Pro V2.
Nov 04, 2012, 06:00 PM
Sir Crashalot
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72
Yeah, but those paddles are crazy huge. I am still waiting on my V911, but I want to know what paddles are a direct or close fit so I can have more control authority than I am used to with my Solo Pro V2.
I think the MSR style paddles works best.

http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=8593
Nov 04, 2012, 06:02 PM
this is mine.
flybar with cutted weight + wire of tin like weight (I don't have the right weight but this last is lighter).
so I can use the long distance ball link without canopy and flybar interference.
Nov 04, 2012, 06:48 PM
I agree the paddles are huge,but I am happy with the flight experience.The fit was very tight, so no glue was needed.Quick and easy mod with parts are already had.They do not have any extra weights.Stonecutter does the MSR paddles have added weights?
Nov 04, 2012, 09:58 PM
Sir Crashalot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasen40
I agree the paddles are huge,but I am happy with the flight experience.The fit was very tight, so no glue was needed.Quick and easy mod with parts are already had.They do not have any extra weights.Stonecutter does the MSR paddles have added weights?
No, that's one reason they work well, I believe. Less energy is required to fly with paddles.
Nov 04, 2012, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasen40
I built a paddle flybar today, using the stock flybar, and extreme paddles for a Blade 120SR.I had these left over. The weight seems about the same as the stock shorty flybar.Nice backed turns, and better FF then before.No flybar strikes, and no more lost weights.
Do you maybe have those on backwards?
Nov 05, 2012, 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksterRC
Do you maybe have those on backwards?
;
I will reverse them tomorrow, and see how she fly's.

Quick Reply