Nov 01, 2012, 04:59 PM
Team Twisted!
Thread OP
Excellent... Lots of new Extravaganza Pilots...
I still have some room on the first page of this thread if there are things that you all would like me to add (or change) to help with your builds or setups... just let me know here via post or in private via PM....
cdee
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2012, 11:57 AM
Slopeaholic
Had another flight today with the extra. After the initial shock got to try a few more things.
Quite a different animal to the crack series. Couple of things I've noticed.

The rudder is nowhere near as effective. It won't do the flat turns like the crack. I tried a knife edge loop, it looked terrible! Spins also require more work.

The power is quite stupendous. Vertical zooms out of prop hangs.

Knife edge pulls to canopy as much as my CY does.

Elevators are lovely into harriers.

In the prop hangs the tail wags a lot. I managed a few nice ones but can't hold em like with the crack series. Entry is different, the crack just drop in but the telinjs need a lot more work. Haven't managed a torque roll yet.

Harriers are OK but it's very sensitive to power application, get it wrong and it stalls, and a blast of power to exit. Rolling harriers will need more work.

Definately not a plane for beginners. It keeps you on your toes. No crashes as yet.

Getting in out of car, although I can do it, it's a PITA.
Last edited by jimbo320; Nov 03, 2012 at 12:03 PM.
Nov 03, 2012, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo320
The power is quite stupendous. Vertical zooms out of prop hangs.
What motor and prop did you use in the end?

Mike
Nov 03, 2012, 12:47 PM
Slopeaholic
http://www.parkaero.com/telink-power...esc-1189-p.asp

I have gens ace 2200 25c lipos.

Jim.
Nov 03, 2012, 01:01 PM
Thanks, same as I have bought

Mike
Nov 03, 2012, 02:55 PM
Hi Jimbo. Have you tried adjusting your cg a tad to get rid of the pull towards canopy during KE. Reason I ask is mine is hands off which is one of the things I like so much about the airframe. I also am using the side force generators on the wings so don't know if that has anything to do with it. Don't know if you don't like the looks of them or what but you might try attaching them with 3 drops of hot glue per stabilizer and give it a flight or two to see what you think. If you don't like them it would be easy enough to take off without any cosmetic damage. Just a thought and hope that might help.
Nov 03, 2012, 04:42 PM
Slopeaholic
Thanks Steve, i intend to tweak the CG, ive cut the battery slot now. So to remove the canopy pull i add tail weight? Or nose weight.

Mike, you can see the nice pull out of the prop hangs in the middle of this vid and good vertical performance as i go into the spin. Had just one pack (16mins ).

Fun with the Telink 330 Extra-vaganza (4 min 5 sec)
Last edited by jimbo320; Nov 05, 2012 at 08:27 AM.
Nov 03, 2012, 05:00 PM
Thanks Jimbo, I'm assembling it as we speak

Mike
Nov 04, 2012, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Thanks Steve, i intend to tweak the CG, ive cut the battery slot now. So to remove the canopy pull i add tail weight? Or nose weight.

Mike, you can see the nice pull out of the prop hangs in the middle of this vid and good vertical performance as i go into the spin. Had just one pack (16mins ).

http://vimeo.com/52757715
Hi Jimbo. Instead of adding any weight, try cutting the slot a litttle more forward and back of the slot you have now. Maybe a 1/2 inch or so. Keep the cut out pieces of foam. I think for a pull to canopy scenario you need to move the batt. back, towards the tail. I may be wrong and its the opposite. If that helps great, take one of the cut out pieces of foam and glue it back in to either side. I've left mine open for different sized batts. Another thing you might try is to change the subtrim on both ailerons, 1 click down on both sides. CG placement should be the ticket however. Hope this helps.
Steve
Nov 04, 2012, 11:54 AM
Slopeaholic
Thanks Steve,
That's an interesting observation. Of course I have no idea that my ailerons are making a perfect section. I wasn't aware that moving the rons down would affect the knife edge, but of course it does, as the ailerons are acting as rudders, after they are released.
I also have a similar pull to canopy on my voltij glider.
I'll give it try on the extra and the pitts. Perhaps that's something I had done wrong, although on the Pitts I'm sure I aligned with a straight edge. If the ailerons are indeed level, won't a droop, require some up trim?
Cheers,
Nov 04, 2012, 01:50 PM
Yes if they droop it will affect other things. But on the extra there is no straight edge per say, at least on the ailerons. Hopefully you won't even have to mess with the subtrim on the ailerons and its just a cg issue. But if you have to move the ailerons, lets say 1mm or even 2 mm's down to get handsoff KE its worth looking in to. If it has adverse affects just move them back. Just a thought.
Steve
Nov 04, 2012, 02:20 PM
Slopeaholic
My battery is currently butted up to the wing now, so isn't going to go back more. I can either move the ESC receiver back or add a few extra grams in the tail. I think I'll try the latter, the try the aileron droop, as I say they are probably wrong.
CG is actually prolly too far forward as too much elevator is required to keep it level. I prefer hands off inverted, with just the odd dab required.
Nov 04, 2012, 04:06 PM
I've got my batt. at a slight angle so that it extends back beyond the leading edge of the wing JIm. See if you can do the same to get your cg back farther.
Nov 04, 2012, 05:32 PM
Slopeaholic
Too late, slot already cut
Nov 04, 2012, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Too late, slot already cut
You could cut into the wing a little, I doubt it would make a great difference to the structure.

Mike

Quick Reply