Oct 28, 2012, 03:21 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhoff
Forgive me for not reading ALL 221 Pages of this thread! I have a few questions:

I am looking for my 4th or 5th airplane. I have been out of flying for quite a while. I am strongly considering the Radian Pro.

1. I have a Hitex System X 5 radio. I believe it has 5 channels, so I can fly this glider with flaps, but no crow etc. Is that correct? Will it work with the receiver or have receivers changed since then?
The Rx is Spektrum DSMx so you will most likely need to change it for the Hitec but you can in fact fly it with the 5ch Rx as the Flaps and Ailerons both plug into Y adapters provided but as you said, no crow with the ailerons on the Y

Quote:
2. I want a fun glider to fly that is also durable. Bonus if I could take aerial photos like I see on this site. I do have a GoPro Hero 2: will this glider lift this camera to take photos? (Would the original Radian lift better? I believe I would really miss ailerons if I got the original!)
Shouldn't be a problem carrying the GoPro. it's a good platform for cameras

Quote:
3. Is there something better/different you would suggest? I am sort of thinking "hotliner" but not sure I have the room to land one where I live.
Not going to do photography with a hotliner. Defeats the purpose to hang all that weight and drag on one.

The other plane I have seen good photography from is the Easy Star but it doesn't have ailerons. it does have a pusher motor pod so you get pictures without the prop pointing forward

Quote:
As commentary, I did RC photography quite a while ago. Then about 3 months ago I bought a powered parachute (for me to fly in!) and it scared me being up 1000 feet so I sold it.

Also, I bought Realflight 5.5 about a year ago and am a HUGE believer in flight simulators now. It is amazingly realistic and has improved my skills one thousand fold.

Thanks for any and all help and advice; these forums are SO valuable!

Sam
to remove ads between posts
Oct 28, 2012, 04:06 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Quote:
Forgive me for not reading ALL 221 Pages of this thread! I have a few questions:

I am looking for my 4th or 5th airplane. I have been out of flying for quite a while. I am strongly considering the Radian Pro.

1. I have a Hitex System X 5 radio. I believe it has 5 channels, so I can fly this glider with flaps, but no crow etc. Is that correct? Will it work with the receiver or have receivers changed since then?

2. I want a fun glider to fly that is also durable. Bonus if I could take aerial photos like I see on this site. I do have a GoPro Hero 2: will this glider lift this camera to take photos? (Would the original Radian lift better? I believe I would really miss ailerons if I got the original!)

3. Is there something better/different you would suggest? I am sort of thinking "hotliner" but not sure I have the room to land one where I live.

As commentary, I did RC photography quite a while ago. Then about 3 months ago I bought a powered parachute (for me to fly in!) and it scared me being up 1000 feet so I sold it.

Also, I bought Realflight 5.5 about a year ago and am a HUGE believer in flight simulators now. It is amazingly realistic and has improved my skills one thousand fold.

Thanks for any and all help and advice; these forums are SO valuable!

Sam
These are Hitec's current radios - That radio is not listed.
http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/air...aft/index.html

Now, if you mean a Hitec System 5X radio, that I know. Old 72 MHz radio. 5 model memories I belive. Yes 5 channels and it has some sailplane mixes. Look at your manual for the mixes you have.

So you will want the Plug and play version of the Radian Pro as you have no use for the spektrum receiver that comes with the BnF version. But you can always sell it for about $40 if you like.

The Radian Pro is NOT a hotliner. If you want a hotliner, get something else. The Multiplex Blizzard might be more interesting for you.
Oct 28, 2012, 10:47 PM
So unless I'm mistaken my options are to buy a B&F Radian Pro (WITH a new transmitter, which one do I buy? Dx6i?), or to somehow convert my hitech System 5X radio? (I guess another option is to stick one of my old 72 MHz receivers in the Radian Pro, but best to move forward at this point I think.)

So, of the above two options, which do I do, and where do I buy from? (Not sure if it's ok to ask that question on this site but I guess I did it),

Thanks,

Sam
Oct 28, 2012, 11:30 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Quote:
So unless I'm mistaken my options are to buy a B&F Radian Pro (WITH a new transmitter, which one do I buy? Dx6i?), or to somehow convert my hitech System 5X radio? (I guess another option is to stick one of my old 72 MHz receivers in the Radian Pro, but best to move forward at this point I think.)

So, of the above two options, which do I do, and where do I buy from? (Not sure if it's ok to ask that question on this site but I guess I did it),
Thanks,
Sam
I can't help you in the radio department as I have only used Spektrum (DX6i, which is a good deal for the money), so I would not be qualified to give advice on radio brands. However, I do have an answer to your previous question about carrying cameras on the Radian vs Radian Pro.

Both of these planes have the same power system, but the Radian is lighter and has less drag. If it was simply a question of which one could better handle some extra weight, it would be the Radian. Ultimately, the aim of carrying a camera is to get a good video, and towards that end, the Radian Pro is the better choice. It might be a little slower to get up to altitude, but the quality of the video will be better.

Having ailerons does two things that contribute to better videos. One is that you can keep the wings (and the camera) level by turning with the rudder and even using opposite aileron if necessary. That keeps the horizon more level in the video. Second, it only takes a small side-gust or movement of the rudder to make the standard Radian tilt and roll. The RP is more immune to such interference, and the video is more steady as a result.

I love my Radian and fly it more often than the RP because of the KISS principle and the superior floating performance. When it comes to packing a camera, the Pro is definitely the best choice. I have a standard 1/4"x20 camera mount that allows almost any camera to be mounted. All the ones I have tried are heavier than a GoPro and this plane can handle it.
Oct 28, 2012, 11:54 PM
Dixie Normious
Radain Pro is awesome for the GoPro or other cameras. I've gotten some steller shots and videos over the last 2 years...not bragging or anything

Upgraded 10x8 prop on a 30-50c battery is key though if you want to get up there fast.. if i put a 20c batt in i fell like falling asleep as it climbs to 800+agl ;0) I only use 2200mah's in her! i used to run some 1800mah's but they started getting tired
I posted this awhile ago but heres one of my latests flicks...
you can tell when im using/have reflex/camber on, as you can here the digital flaps servos singing. I have it on the dial (DX7s), full CCW gives 100% reflex and full CW gives full camber. Only a about 6mm i do believe at full throw.

I have it activated on the MIX switch beside it. So i can either turn on/off or just centre the dial(it emits a beep when at centre (12 o'clock) so you know)
Park Zone Radian Pro at the Beach (8 min 35 sec)
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Oct 29, 2012 at 12:03 AM.
Oct 29, 2012, 08:01 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Quote:

Thanks,

Sam
If you want to ignore the 72 MHz option, which is perfectly fine, I would not put money into the 5X. I would get a new radio.

Now, new 2.4 GHz radios cost from $100 to $3000 so you better give us some idea of your budget. But I will point out that HH has an outstanding offer on the DX7s right now. $300 with 3 receivers. The DX7s, as part of that package, is about $100. An excellent buy.

Check with your local hobby shop to see if he has these or can get them for you. I always recommend buying local if you can. Then, if you have a question you can ask for help.

So you could buy the BnF version, the DX7s, bind it and fly it.

And you would have 3 receivers to put in your other planes.

That would be a great package.
DX7s
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...s-md2-SPM7800C

DX7 set-up instructions for the Radian Pro
http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/Radi..._DX7_setup.pdf

Radian BnF
http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/w...pe=productgrid
Oct 29, 2012, 01:29 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
But I will point out that HH has an outstanding offer on the DX7s right now. $300 with 3 receivers. The DX7s, as part of that package, is about $100. An excellent buy.
That does sound like an awesome deal. Thank you for the info and the link. I checked a couple of on line hobby shops and they are selling it for the same price but with only one receiver. I wonder if you would need to order direct from HH to get the 3 receivers?
Oct 29, 2012, 04:18 PM
A geriatric flier
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
If you want to ignore the 72 MHz option, which is perfectly fine, I would not put money into the 5X. I would get a new radio.....................
Overall some good advice. Also join a club and see what other guys are using but IMHO 2.4 GHz is the way to go.

Do you work for HH aeajr?

Good luck and keep safe with Tracy heading for the east coast.
Oct 29, 2012, 10:37 PM
I went with a modded turnigy 9x, running open9x. It's not for the faint of heart, but if you like to tinker, there's no limit to what you can do with it.
Oct 30, 2012, 09:35 AM
Closed Account
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Corrected errors on FS
Oct 30, 2012, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active
The only down side I found is that the Turnigy 8CH RX has no fail safe compared to my all channel failsafe Futaba.
I hacked in a HP6DSM module that I stole from my blade SR's transmitter. It's only 6 channels, but it does have throttle failsafe, and holds all the other controls in the last position. I like DSM2 on the 9x because I can use it on all the HH BNF models and those cheap orange RX's.
Oct 30, 2012, 11:30 AM
I have a Turnigy 9x too and even though my original intention was to mod it I haven't found a compelling reason to do so. Now that I have found my way around the interface it does everything I need. I recommend it very highly, considering the Chinese quality control, to anyone looking for their first programmable radio or just a cheap upgrade or backup. And, if I get really ticked off after a crash, I can slam the thing on the pavement without losing much money!
Oct 30, 2012, 08:19 PM
I Fly!
A ready to fly Radian is the same price as a BNF Radian Pro if you feel you want to get a radio and get flying. Granted it is a basic radio with no model memory but it will work and having a basic Radian might be a good start out plane.

With the BNF you are looking at a minimum of $209 for the DX6i, which to me is a rip since I bought 2 DX6i last year at Christmas time for just over $300. However as others have said already the DX7s is currently the better deal at $299 because you get 3 receivers, which means you can buy 2 Plug and Play planes which will save you some $$ in the long run.

Quote:

Thanks,

Sam
Oct 31, 2012, 08:22 PM
Closed Account
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:24 AM.
Nov 04, 2012, 05:23 AM

Finally located the problem and WOW! this glider flies well

HI,
I've finally pinpointed the problem that frustrated me to the point of almost getting rid of the RP.
It turned out that the elevator servo was not centering. (stock servo)

I replaced it and at the same time lubricated the push rod to reduce the friction in the guiding tube.

we launched it yesterday at the club and rode thermals beautifully.

At one point it was so high that I battled to see it, never mind keeping good orientation.

Put it in a dive until I could see it reasonably well, flew it back to the area wherre we were catching thermals (downwind from our club tar runways) and let it soar until it was getting tiny... dive down....repeat as necessary

One dislike is the diffulty getting the wings mounted and the servo-wires tucked in, space is really insuficient.
Also I need to sort out a more user-friendly fastening method for the wings.

Other than that, with summer moving in we're (my son always flies with me) going to spend more time getting familiar with the RP.

Thanks to all who insisted that I must find the problem and not give up (even with sarcastic remarks ) it was all for a good cause.

Brgds,

Danny
Last edited by Danny_l; Nov 04, 2012 at 05:33 AM.

Quick Reply