Oct 22, 2012, 07:50 AM
The Flying Circus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wefinance01
I was thinking about soldering it but that thing should have not pulled that easily. I wonder if the unit was defective. I will send it to RV to see if they can fix it under warranty and if not, will have to see what he will charge me to fix it.
I pulled mine off () by pushing too hard on the plug. Its not defective, just fragile. If you look closely there are a couple of solder tags either side of the socket that are supposed to give some support. Also there is a little bit of double sided tape under the socket. Mine came away cleanly and didnt damage any of the tracks so I had a friend who is adept at SMC repairs re-solder it for me. He also reinforced it with epoxy.
RV standard $35 charge for OSD repair would probably cover it, but how long can you go without your OSD? If you are experienced with SMC soldering, go for it, otherwise give it to someone who is.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2012, 08:09 AM
RTFM
Anyone using RVOSD fbw when launching ritewing z2 ?
Oct 22, 2012, 09:26 AM
I hot glued each end of GPS cable into sockets with a little overflow onto the boards. I don't know how I ever survived before discovering HG. strong, flexible, fast bond and easily removed, perfect foamy adhesive!
Oct 23, 2012, 02:48 AM
Fly Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!

GPS Triangulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by picard10th
Check GPS settings 10HZ and HDOP
From manual....
4.23 Configuring GPS
Be sure that the GPS fix update: is set
to 10Hz (default), if you are using the
included 10Hz GPS module.
RVOSD will display "Searching Sats"
when there is not any satellite lock
reported from GPS and will change to
"Setting Home" as soon as it locks on
the first satellite.
The RVOSD start the ‘Setting Home"
timer after GPS HDOP value goes
below Set max HDOP: value.
-This value sets the minimum GPS
signal Horizontal Dilution of Position
(HDOP). -Its recommended to set this
value to the minimum possible (around
1.00) to have an accurate set of zero
altitude and home GPS coordinates,
with this value to low. Setting it to 1.30
seems to be the best compromise
between accuracy and lower time to set.
Keep in mind that this must be done
with clear open sky visibility.
This is true as long as accurate triangulation exists.
We all know these low Earthorbiting GPS sats fly around fast to keep their orbit.
One sat can fall off the horizion and a gps rcvr loose accuracy within 15 min's. Or another can be overhead and reflect a stronger signal off a cliff edge adding latency error. DOP can change at any time.
I am still trying to determine why some want to put a foil cup around their GPS rcvrs on other forums.
Oct 23, 2012, 09:53 AM
FPV in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthOrbiter
I am still trying to determine why some want to put a foil cup around their GPS rcvrs on other forums.
Because it works!
I don't use a cup, but a flat sheet of foil really speeds things up on my DOSD GPS. I haven't had any problems with the RVOSD GPS yet.
Oct 24, 2012, 12:12 AM
I might have to try the gps foil trick. Swapped my RVOSD into a new plane and it noticeably takes longer to get satellite lock.
Oct 24, 2012, 05:46 AM

Horizontal front end overload

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt Double
I might have to try the gps foil trick. Swapped my RVOSD into a new plane and it noticeably takes longer to get satellite lock.
You might be right the distance to the new VTX placement might blind the Gps Rcvr's ability. Also the foil cup might lessen the Gps birds on the horizon that are far away even though they might make a better 3D coordinate in time.
Oct 24, 2012, 03:50 PM
anyone knows where i can buy just the gps connectors?
Oct 24, 2012, 05:50 PM
From the RV forum:
you can use this on the GPS side: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10361
And this on the OSD side: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10360
Soldering any extra cable length in between.
24" length is OK
Oct 24, 2012, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by uavrat
From the RV forum:
you can use this on the GPS side: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10361
And this on the OSD side: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10360
Soldering any extra cable length in between.
24" length is OK
why is it two different connectors?
Oct 24, 2012, 06:53 PM
the GPS comes with one more pin which is used for a feature that isn't needed
Oct 24, 2012, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by npre
the GPS comes with one more pin which is used for a feature that isn't needed
Alright! Thank you
Oct 24, 2012, 08:57 PM
WannaBeLikeJoshTheSlowJet
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane81
Anyone using RVOSD fbw when launching ritewing z2 ?
i always launch my DeepReaper FBW, ALWAYS, never had a problem,

Max throttle, side throw, walk back to my chair not looking at the wing.

check it out, excuse the mud on lens...
DepReaper XL, 3 Juin 2012, vol dans les nuages et test du nouveau RVGS Antenna tracker. (2 min 34 sec)
Oct 24, 2012, 11:25 PM
RCMafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn
I pulled mine off () by pushing too hard on the plug. Its not defective, just fragile. If you look closely there are a couple of solder tags either side of the socket that are supposed to give some support. Also there is a little bit of double sided tape under the socket. Mine came away cleanly and didnt damage any of the tracks so I had a friend who is adept at SMC repairs re-solder it for me. He also reinforced it with epoxy.
RV standard $35 charge for OSD repair would probably cover it, but how long can you go without your OSD? If you are experienced with SMC soldering, go for it, otherwise give it to someone who is.
i went ahead and ordered the 35$ service repair from rv but not clear in how that work......do just send them the unit with my reciept or what?
Oct 25, 2012, 04:41 AM

Soldering Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wefinance01
i went ahead and ordered the 35$ service repair from rv but not clear in how that work......do just send them the unit with my reciept or what?
Soldering, Brazing, Welding is a Art that takes a understanding of Temperature, Time, Flow and Material over the workplace. If for example a soldering tip has low temperature it may (over time) heat other connections on a board and disconnect them. Personally I like to flow the work hot and fast then cool it down fast also.

Quick Reply