Oct 16, 2012, 08:27 PM
Diverted by planks
Quote:
Originally Posted by micka80ella
This is atm my favourite plane, dont know why but it just cruises around effortlessly and will do nice looking manouvres too.
Haven't posted on this thread for a long while, since my own MiniSwift was broken into pieces... motor busted... ESC removed.... I had moved on to bigger planes, but then a friend started flying, and liked the MiniSwift, so he ordered one and I gave my old one as a parts-salvage source for him...

Well, I'll be darned if he did not take the time to carefully craft a external firewall... make a whole new mid-section for the fuselage out of square foam that he shaped, sanded then glued in to replace the old part... replace motor and ESC, etc... and turn my old beat up pile of parts into a refurbed MiniSwift that both he and I think flies every bit as good, if not better than his out of box brand new one!

I think the fact he stretched the fuse in the nose area, and the motor location is more forward, combined to get rid of what I called 'scuttle shake' in cross winds -- it is still a very responsive plane, but that one annoying tendency seems to be gone now.

It feels good to see the old girl still having some life in it and giving a new pilot the pleasure I got from flying her!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 19, 2012, 09:25 PM
Fighting Gravity
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob
Haven't posted on this thread for a long while, since my own MiniSwift was broken into pieces... motor busted... ESC removed.... I had moved on to bigger planes, but then a friend started flying, and liked the MiniSwift, so he ordered one and I gave my old one as a parts-salvage source for him...

Well, I'll be darned if he did not take the time to carefully craft a external firewall... make a whole new mid-section for the fuselage out of square foam that he shaped, sanded then glued in to replace the old part... replace motor and ESC, etc... and turn my old beat up pile of parts into a refurbed MiniSwift that both he and I think flies every bit as good, if not better than his out of box brand new one!

I think the fact he stretched the fuse in the nose area, and the motor location is more forward, combined to get rid of what I called 'scuttle shake' in cross winds -- it is still a very responsive plane, but that one annoying tendency seems to be gone now.

It feels good to see the old girl still having some life in it and giving a new pilot the pleasure I got from flying her!
Nice handy work on the repair!

The Swift thread has been quiet.

I have recently been using my 2yr old Swift as a Sloper. Still using the 1806 motor but have changed back to the stock folding prop. Running a 180mAH 2S the setup is nice and light. Still have my crash kit so plenty of Swift adventures to come
Oct 20, 2012, 01:59 AM
Reap the wild wind
Having a break from scratch building and kitting out my Rare Bear FF and now getting round to fitting the AX-1806N-2500 and wonder what is the best way of mounting it. Is there any way of removing the old burnt out unit and installing the new motor without hacking off the nose? If it's to be a hack job, will the nose fit back over the new motor with a bit of trimming?
Most pictures attached to this thread just show the motor mounted on a ply plate which I feel do spoil the looks
Andy
Oct 20, 2012, 03:27 AM
Fighting Gravity
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain
Having a break from scratch building and kitting out my Rare Bear FF and now getting round to fitting the AX-1806N-2500 and wonder what is the best way of mounting it. Is there any way of removing the old burnt out unit and installing the new motor without hacking off the nose? If it's to be a hack job, will the nose fit back over the new motor with a bit of trimming?
Most pictures attached to this thread just show the motor mounted on a ply plate which I feel do spoil the looks
Andy
I left mine as is.
Had to relieve around old motor slightly to get old mount out. Easy install from memory.
Oct 20, 2012, 03:50 AM
Reap the wild wind
Thanks for the quick response and pictures.
Oct 23, 2012, 01:18 AM
Reap the wild wind
I've now fitted the AX-1806N-2500. I enlarged one of the slots in the original motor mount and then cut ply disc and mounted inside of the fuse against the existing it. Cut a notch in the 1806 mount so that the wires can be passed through the mount to keep everything inside the fuse. This was a PITA but just managed to pull the extended wires through. It would have been easier to just solder the wires in situ to the ESC .
Needed to make 2 small holes under the nose so I could insert an allen key to tighten the 2 grub screws. Will maiden on 2 cell but might have to use 450 packs as I've added more weight to the front. What's the best prop?
Andy
Oct 23, 2012, 07:48 AM
[ What's the best prop?
Andy[/QUOTE]

hidProduct=7933https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7933

4.75x4.75E
Oct 23, 2012, 08:33 AM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
I use a 5.5 X 4.75 master airscrew prop.
Love it. I had 5 great flights yesterday with little or no wind.
Just the best and most fun of all of my planes!
I will need to get another Mini Swift soon because my fuselage on the current one is getting a bit banged up and out of line.
On the next one, I'll try fitting the 1806 motor just as Headless described dispite the PITA factor. Battery will be fitted under the wing as per Fred L.
Oct 23, 2012, 01:47 PM
Wallop!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie9496
Nice handy work on the repair!

The Swift thread has been quiet.

I have recently been using my 2yr old Swift as a Sloper. Still using the 1806 motor but have changed back to the stock folding prop. Running a 180mAH 2S the setup is nice and light. Still have my crash kit so plenty of Swift adventures to come
Hi bonnie9496,

How did you get the CG correct with that light battery? I've tried a 180mAh with my stock mini Swift but it is tail heavy. Pretty hard to control during powered flight; it want to nose up and the ailerons are not very responsive. Gliding is much better though. It really makes a difference when using this light setup. I normally fly with a 350mAh put as far as possible into the nose, which will set the CG spot on. But with 180mAh it flies uncomfortable.

Thanks,
Martin
Oct 23, 2012, 04:31 PM
Reap the wild wind
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeae99
[ What's the best prop?
Andy
hidProduct=7933https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7933

4.75x4.75E[/QUOTE]
Good news. I've got that size already as it's my go to prop for use with the BW 3000kv motor on my Mini Wing - but that's on 3s
Mini Wing on 3000kv,4.75 x 4.75,Gens Ace 1000 3 cell (4 min 7 sec)

Should give my Gens Ace 450 2S1P 25C packs an easier time as well
Andy
Oct 27, 2012, 04:08 PM
Reap the wild wind
Gave my Mini Swift it's first flight with the AX-1806N-2500kv, 2S 800, 10 amp plush esc and 4.75 x 4.75. This has turned the model into a pocket rocket with excellent vertical and an impressive speed for a budget set up. Today there was a cold northerly wind with gusts of 20 mph but the little plane just cut through it and was a joy to fly. I've just found another favourite windy day weapon to go alongside my Funbat and Mini Wing.
Here's an edited video taken with my #16 Keycam. Flight time was around 8 mins of mixed flying.
Mini Swift on 2500kv motor (2 min 42 sec)

Andy
Oct 27, 2012, 04:28 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
Headess,
Just a couple of questions:
How is the motor mount holding up?
Where did you place the battery? How was the balancing?
I love this plane but mine is bit banged up right now...
Last edited by ChinoDiablo; Oct 28, 2012 at 09:04 AM.
Oct 28, 2012, 02:11 AM
Reap the wild wind
It was my maiden flight on this set up so I can't speak for motor longevity. However, these are well made, beefy little motors and really cheap so not too worried if I abuse one.
The 2s 800 mAh Gens Ace lipo was pushed back under the wing. I removed the inner hump and detached the servo wires from the factory applied hot glue. I used a loop of plastic strapping tape around the pack so I could pull it out. No velcro needed as it really is a tight fit. The model balances on the spar. I think it could do with another spar as I saw some wing flex pulling high g manoevers
Andy
Oct 28, 2012, 05:56 AM
Fighting Gravity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin.
Hi bonnie9496,

How did you get the CG correct with that light battery? I've tried a 180mAh with my stock mini Swift but it is tail heavy. Pretty hard to control during powered flight; it want to nose up and the ailerons are not very responsive. Gliding is much better though. It really makes a difference when using this light setup. I normally fly with a 350mAh put as far as possible into the nose, which will set the CG spot on. But with 180mAh it flies uncomfortable.

Thanks,
Martin
Hi Martin,
Hmmm.
I have no CG issues. The 1806 is a slightly heavier motor and as per my pic above the RX and ESC are at the front behind motor. When using 180mAH I actually slide it under the wing. Glides beautifully with medium lift on the slope.
Oct 28, 2012, 06:17 AM
Wallop!
Ah, ok got it, thanks bonnie9496.
I still use the lighter stock motor and pushed the rx all the way under the wings. That won't balance properly But it floats like mad

Martin

Quick Reply