Oct 15, 2012, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmarsh
That's awesome, I really want to dress up my SC now!! This night flying thing could get addictive.

By the way, sounds like you have done the brushless mod to your Super Cub, what motor?

Cheers,
Geoff
It sure is a blast to fly at night.
Yup it's a brushless motor and esc out of a wildcat that crashed on me due to a faulty dx5e last year.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2012, 06:23 PM
No more rushing home after work to sneak a quick flight in now I can fly all night
Oct 15, 2012, 07:45 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Burned Retina @ HHAEFI
Oct 15, 2012, 10:07 PM
God is my pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman
Burned Retina @ HHAEFI
What plane is that? I don't recognise the bones. Nice job!
Oct 16, 2012, 06:08 AM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Looks like the larger PA Addiction to me. but without cowling
Oct 16, 2012, 02:02 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTMich
What plane is that? I don't recognise the bones. Nice job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX HEWSON
Looks like the larger PA Addiction to me. but without cowling
That is Correct Alex! It is the PA Addiction X. It was fully rebuilt after LVC'ing at the bottom of a blender and into the trees I documented most of the build and conversion to a night flyer here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1502256

The cowling was a difficult issue for me, as I like a clean looking plane. However, in the end, access was more important for this project as it is far less noticeable when flying at night. For me to be able to use the cowl, I would have to remove nearly 40% of the fiberglass. This is because it was so difficult for me to bring the CG forward to within 4-5 inches of the recommended range- the lights, wiring and repairs had destroyed not only my wing loading but also my CG.

Solution was to mount both the 3s 2650mAh flight battery and the 500mAh LED battery on the nose, and also move the ESC as far forward as possible. With these changes, the cowl is not very practical unless I cut out a significant portion of material...
Oct 18, 2012, 03:27 AM
Remember... Fly for fun!
How is the performance affected?
Oct 18, 2012, 12:40 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Well Vertical is almost nonexistent, but it will claw its way out of a hover at a walking pace. Despite over 50g of lead on the nose of the motor mount (in addition to the relocated batteries), she is still extremely tail heavy and simply prefers to be vertical. The tail heavy CG is so extreme, this plane requires pulling up elevator during inverted flight- otherwise the tail just sinks back into a hover.

Despite the lack of decent tracking, 3d characteristics are superb. She excels in post stall flight and hanging from the prop. Something about the design of this plane allows it to get into some extreme positions without dropping a wing. Harriers both upright and inverted are effortless and nearly handsfree. Waterfalls are very tight.

While I have preformed numerous spins with this airframe, I am very cautious of high energy moves like snaps and spin recoveries. I have put so much weight into the wings and out to the tips, that I am very concerned they might one day fold a wing.
Oct 18, 2012, 01:30 PM
Rocket Programmer
Quote:
While I have preformed numerous spins with this airframe, I am very cautious of high energy moves like snaps and spin recoveries. I have put so much weight into the wings and out to the tips, that I am very concerned they might one day fold a wing.
No way... that wing is ludicrous strength. Much more likely to snap the tail or break an aileron off (I have done that). The CF rod in the wing is super strong though.
Oct 18, 2012, 02:06 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501
No way... that wing is ludicrous strength. Much more likely to snap the tail or break an aileron off (I have done that). The CF rod in the wing is super strong though.
time will tell but it really does feel as if the wings will be ripped off at high speeds...
Oct 18, 2012, 03:23 PM
Rocket Programmer
Quote:
time will tell but it really does feel as if the wings will be ripped off at high speeds...
Oh yeah, maybe at high speeds... I forget the thing can probably do 50mph if you want to. I like to fly mine slow
Oct 18, 2012, 03:29 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
I kinda misspoke: it tracks like poop in a level attitude and does not like speeds much faster than 25-30mph. I need to get some vids up already...
Oct 18, 2012, 07:53 PM
Dark Yet??
I have to say.......Even sitting still the Burned Retina still looks awesome!! I would love to see it in action sometime.
Oct 19, 2012, 09:39 PM
Click my name for night blades
It does look awesome! Would look even better with a night prop. .
Oct 20, 2012, 06:42 AM
Wait...what?
Did a bit more work on my night quad.

Comments?

Quadcopter LEDs Tx Control (3 min 32 sec)

Quick Reply