Oct 18, 2012, 09:41 AM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Klas_
I have done a quick test on a fresh installed XP and found that you also need to install a x264 codec. No problem with VirtualDub 1.10.3, fcchandler's QuickTime plugin and x264vfw, also ffdshow works fine. I am using this on my W7 x64 for months without problems in 32 and 64 bit versions. The plugin archive contains a 32 and a 64 bit version of the plugin. Copy it to the plugins32 folder of VirtualDub (plugins64 if you are using the 64 bit version).

Links: VirtualDub, QuickTime plugin, x264vfw
Thanks. I've had the codecs installed, it was the Quicktime plugin that would crash. But I've moved on to AviDemux since it is functionally very similar to VDub, has the codecs integral, and imports/exports many formats with no add ons. But I still use Vdub every once in a while, though I'm still running v1.9.11, the last formal non-beta release.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2012, 09:43 AM
808 #16 v2 Lens D vs iPhone 4s
2012-10-18, Fall in Sweden

My Settings:

photo hosting sites

iPhone 4s 1080p
iPhone 4s Test Picture (0 min 44 sec)

808 #16 v2 Lens D 720p
808 #16 v2 Lens D Test Picture (0 min 51 sec)

Is there anyway i could make the 808 better by adjusting the settings in Nr16setup ?

Thanks
Oct 18, 2012, 10:00 AM
Just thumbing through...
I you want warmer color, I suggest trying Fluorescent. Then maybe boost Saturation one notch. I then lowered Contrast too. Nothing to lose, you can always set back to auto, but in sunlight I find the Auto white balance is blue tinged.
Oct 18, 2012, 10:06 AM
I changed to Fluorescent, Saturation +1, Warmer Colors.

Never went back.
Oct 18, 2012, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdude
Hi guys
A friend of mine bough an identical camera (#16 V2 D lens) but his seems to be blurred around the edges

We have tried to focus it the best we can but even when getting a sharp centre of image anything away from the centre is very blurry, any ideas ?

Image on the left is from my camera, the right is from his

Notice that the number plate is sharp in both but the grey car in front is blurred on the right picture and lookingh to the left of centre you can see that the stone wall is in focus on the left but out of focus on the right
Quote:
Originally Posted by ko2610
Clearly, the lens is tilted. You should try to get it in the correct thread.
Can anyone else confirm/concur this ?
Oct 18, 2012, 10:10 AM
Some more test video, same settings as before

Iphone 4s GF Dog 1080p
iPhone 4s GF Dog (0 min 32 sec)

808 #16 v2 Lens D GF Dog 720p
808 #16 v2 Lens D GF Dog (0 min 33 sec)

iPhone 4s Dog Food 1080p
iPhone 4s Dog Food (0 min 43 sec)

808 #16 v2 Lens D Dog Food
808 #16 v2 Lens D Dog Food (0 min 44 sec)

Does something look wrong with the quality of my 808 ?
Or is it ok ?

What settings should i change to ?
The clips im taking are very different, sometimes inside, sometimes outside, sunny/cloudy and so on, i want the best overall
Thanks
Oct 18, 2012, 10:15 AM
not running for the exercise
Quote:
Originally Posted by ko2610
Clearly, the lens is tilted. You should try to get it in the correct thread.
Quote:
The image is out-of-focus on the far left and far right, so I'm not sure I agree with ko2610. What happens when you adjust the focus to get it sharp on the far left?
Oct 18, 2012, 10:18 AM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrik_A
808 #16 v2 Lens D vs iPhone 4s
2012-10-18, Fall in Sweden
Is there anyway i could make the 808 better by adjusting the settings in Nr16setup ?

Thanks
You don't mention why you think it needs improving. I'll guess it's because the iphone video has more vivid colors and is what you prefer? I'd first ask is that what the colors look like to your eye, but even if not, if you like it better that's just fine! Try increasing the saturation to "High" or "Higher" Advance Image tab. But be aware these settings are still in testing, and the effect may be different when they are finalized.

When the color settings are finalized, I will post images of what each does (by itself) with all the others at the default point. We expect some of the settings to also impact other settings, but can't test or show those situations since there are so many combinations possible. Just try each one and see if you like it better, and Google search the function names to find other web links that will explain what they do. Also, searc for my recent thread post where I explain how to use AviDemux editor (free download) to see in real time how the key settings affect an image.
Oct 18, 2012, 10:26 AM
New Settings

Exposure - Normal
White Balance - Fluorecent
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - High
Color Options - Warmer

image ru

808 #16 v2 Lens D GF Dog Different Settings (0 min 14 sec)

808 #16 v2 Lens D Dog Food Different Settings (0 min 26 sec)

I belive they look closer to the iphone 4 now
What do you think ?

Thanks
Oct 18, 2012, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
You don't mention why you think it needs improving. I'll guess it's because the iphone video has more vivid colors and is what you prefer? I'd first ask is that what the colors look like to your eye, but even if not, if you like it better that's just fine! Try increasing the saturation to "High" or "Higher" Advance Image tab. But be aware these settings are still in testing, and the effect may be different when they are finalized.

When the color settings are finalized, I will post images of what each does (by itself) with all the others at the default point. We expect some of the settings to also impact other settings, but can't test or show those situations since there are so many combinations possible. Just try each one and see if you like it better, and Google search the function names to find other web links that will explain what they do. Also, searc for my recent thread post where I explain how to use AviDemux editor (free download) to see in real time how the key settings affect an image.
I want the camers clip / video to be as "real" as my eyes see the item.
If you understand what i mean, hehe

I belive the GoPro HD2 is very close to reality and the iphone 4s also.
I want the 808 to be as "best it can be" for the little price it cost
So i want the best settings

Sorry if my english is bad

Thanks
Oct 18, 2012, 10:47 AM
New Settings again

Best so far for me is the following:

Exposure - Normal
White Balance - Auto
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - High
Color Options - Warmer

Now the "black" looks black with Auto on White Balance
When i have it on Flouracent , the black looks blueish

808 #16 v2 Lens D GF Dog - New Settings (0 min 12 sec)

808 #16 v2 Lens D Dog Food - New Settings (0 min 21 sec)
Oct 18, 2012, 10:57 AM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
The lens could be cross-threaded, but it might also just be VERY slightly out of focus as well. These are inexpensive lenses, and especially with the wide angle lens, the focal plane is more curved and not perfectly flat like the CMOS image sensor is. This, of necessity, means that all parts of the image are not going to be in the best focus at the same time. You can take your pick of having very sharp edges, but not the center, very sharp center but not the edges, or some middle point where most of the image is very slightly out but looks better over all than the other two alternatives.

That said, I've found variations in different lenses of the exact same type (e.g. all Lens A) same type, with one being slightly better than another, in spite of my best efforts to get them in perfect focus. I attribute this to the construction of the lens (plastic elements, plastic barrel with simple (plastic?) spacers between the elements. Anything that might disrupt the spacing between elements or the axial alignment (e.g. a spec of dust, warped plastic, etc.) can cause one lens to be very slightly less sharp across the frame than another seemingly identical lens. There's definitely a big difference between the two in your picture! If you tried to get better focus and confirmed the lens is not cross-threaded, you may just have gotten one on the lower end of the variable range.

I don't know how you did your focusing, but it's not easy to get the "best" focus without looking at comparative images. Here's how I've done it if you want to try again, but keep in mind the lens in the #16 have a slightly different focusing ring with different indents for measuring lens rotation. Just several deg. of rotation one way or the other off the sweet spot can have very visible results.
Oct 18, 2012, 10:58 AM
I belive this is the best i can do....
(in this video, the light is on in the background by the window, since its starting to get dark outside)

Settings

iPhone 4s Dog & tshirt color test (0 min 24 sec)

808 #16 v2 Lens D Dog & tshirt color test (0 min 25 sec)

Im pretty happy with this
Hope i dont spammed you guys to death, and that somone will find this helpfull

Thanks
Oct 18, 2012, 10:59 AM
Mtz
Mtz
Quote:
808 #16 v2 Lens D GF Dog 720p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKK-PeNajQ4
I am sure you will get much more feedback about your warm... settings if you will make the same record, but cut from the sentence above the word "dog."

Ontopic: try to make the settings in the middle of the day. Now the night is closer and your next settings will differ very much because of low light

enjoy,
Mtz
Oct 18, 2012, 11:02 AM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
I want the camers clip / video to be as "real" as my eyes see the item.
If you understand what i mean, hehe

I belive the GoPro HD2 is very close to reality and the iphone 4s also.
I want the 808 to be as "best it can be" for the little price it cost
So i want the best settings

Sorry if my english is bad

Thanks
Your English is fine (better than some who post here with English as their first langauge!).

I understand your desired end result... same as mine, but we may see colors differently. I hope one of the settings will get you closer, but it will vary when the illumination changes between bright sun and shadows or overcast. That's just something we have to accept with the current camera hardware.

Quick Reply