Oct 16, 2012, 10:44 PM
Go Hawks!
appears the marc web site is offline..at least for me. I can't bring it up to see if that thread is locked or something.
EDIT: finally got it to load and I posted a new message. It has to clear the moderator first before it goes live.

Pisses me off. Being pissed off makes me want to get on the board and advocate some change..Not the obama kind of change, but real change.

The sound testing rule does indeed state that it has been updated as of Oct 12, 2012, although this may be due to the Sept meeting that removed the sound testing requirement for glow.

Ok so I'll dvr the hawks game and The Big Bang Theory.

So where are we meeting for grub and at what time?
Last edited by cryhavoc38; Oct 16, 2012 at 11:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2012, 11:50 PM
Go Hawks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarl Of Whirl
See you at the Redmond town center Red Robin at 6pm guys.

For your consideration / you guys are probably all over this already but I thought I would post some more pre-meeting strategic thoughts in addition to Gareth's great insight.

I am dusting off my jet black sport jacket (jeans with no tie) for the meeting. Many of these board members served our country & if they are like my grandfather they equate uniforms/jackets with respect. They will take us more seriously & give us greater respect if we come dressed for the occasion & up too or above their standards, not ours. I dislike wearing a jacket even in the corporate world but I am going to wear one for the meeting. I also dislike being clicky or cluby but even just wearing the same general color shirt as a 3D / FPV group would make our numbers stand out & send a strong subliminal message. I would go for blue but am open. I like black but it might make us look like out-laws in their mind.

If the board allows time for our bia-law & past decisions inquires it might be helpful to decide ahead of time who would be the best spokes person for each issue thus sharing the 3D / FPV / Heli? speaking / frustration load & demonstrating a cohesive, unified & organized front.

Gareth- nice call on checking AMA & club membership status. Your inner workings of clubs & understanding of bi-laws will prove extremely valuable. Let us know if there is anything else we need to do to insure nomination acceptance and not a MARC board run around which could result in missing the nomination window. We might figure out ahead of time the documented MARC protocol to nominate someone, is it by the nominee themselves or by another person in their behalf? Do you need to submit an application form, does it need X number of supporting signatures, do we need to show physical copies of our 2012 / 2013 up to date AMA as well as MARC membership?

Chris, Joe or Vitter- If you haven't already I would recommend printing a hard copy of the AMA rules surrounding FPV's & any documents tied to recent AMA, FAA (FAR's) or Congressional Legislation influx surrounding UAV / FPV regulation changes. You guys are the real FPV experts & the MARC board should have solicited your opinion prior to their FPV ban. I want to understand the MARC's board decision basis & make sure it ties back to facts/data & not fear.

Cry or Kody - I read MARC's callus post regarding Cry's sound rule inquiry. Is it just my imagination or did the sound rule description get updated on the MARC site after your complaint submission Cry? Why can't I now make a rebuttal post, is the thread locked? Did the board approve a rule description change or was it just done? It might also be helpful to print up a copy of what RCW's or Municipal Code or Park Ordinances are directly related to a sound limit of 90db. A hard copy of the AMA 96DB rule & test guidelines would be helpful as well. There has to be a park ordinance for music or event sound limits. Also a research document proving a DB increase by tester proximity would be beneficial thus demonstrating that 90DB limit is actually a 89 or 88DB limit due to reflectivity of the tester. I would like to understand the facts & data basis for the MARC board setting the DB limit at a very aggressive 90DB verses the AMA's guidelines of 96DB with a tripod test.

I can be a meeting scribe &/or group selected speaker for a topic or concept. If this post came off as even remotely directive, that wasn't my intent. I am just trying to help & support our 3D / FPV group.

P.S. I am banking one of the MARC board members (Mike-webmaster) is by now reading our 3D thread & gathering intel. So I am reminding myself to watch my tone & the possible miss-perception of my comments. It can suck when someone super savvy (like Cry) calls you out with your own post comments presenting them for the world to see. Some of my own comments could be considered a little edgy & I need to dial it back myself.
Are you referring to my MARC forum post or sometime where I called out something you said?

Regarding a MARC board member reading posts here.. doubtfull they even know about RCG, and if one or more actually do read this thread due to it being mentioned to them by more sympathetic marc members...does it really matter?

An election to the board is by majority vote, not majority opinion on the "opines" of a member posting their thoughts on the interweb.

I find it very encouraging that some of the current members have wondered where "we" have been. Why we don't attend more meetings and become more involved. I find it encouraging that they are concerned about the future of the club and I have great respect for those who want to see the field be available for many generations to come.

Remember, we current MARC members will one day become the old guys there, and will be considered FOG's by the younger whippersnappers who are flying their latest generation of battery powered 3d machines that we only wished we had when our reflexes were on par with them.

20-30 years from now when most of us are enjoying our retirement, hanging out at the field in lawn chairs, can you imagine what the tech will be like then?

3d will be what they refer to as circle flyers. LOL

Something new will have taken its place, such as 3 axis gyro control as a standard feature in all receivers. smaller batteries with some exotic chemistry will replace 20lbs of lipo's in larger planes allowing 20 minute flight times as standard.

The current generation of MARC flyers need to be on the board so that we can regulate those who would dare to fly their x wing fighters and ion powered tie fighters at the field, endangering the flora and fauna.

Oct 17, 2012, 01:28 AM
Way to go joe .

That funny Cry

20-30 years from now

Oct 17, 2012, 02:49 AM
Watts is where its at!
In 20 years:

Auto pilot will be a safety feature enabled by hyper accurate GPS, ubiquitous cheap cameras and processors 10x more powerful that the iPhone at 1/10th the die size. The airplanes wont let you violate the flight line, they will come back to the field if they get too far away and they will land themselves when the batteries get low.

Everyone will be flying with a pair of ultra high resolution augmented reality goggles. You'll be flying around virtual obstacles and doing air combat without putting the airplane at risk. They will keep track of where the other airplanes are and help you with collision avoidance. This will lead to an entirely new sport that none of us has thought of yet.

Of course the flight sim will be baked into an app on your smart phone that interfaces with all the tech on the airplane. Want to learn to torque roll? The sim will fly your real airplane, letting you have control and then taking it away when you make a mistake. It will be a buddy box system with infinite pilot skill and speed.

I think that is all doable in the lab now under controlled conditions and can be productized in 20 years.
Oct 17, 2012, 09:43 AM

Pre meeting dinner

Sounds like most are "ok" with Red Robin @ 6pm. Its fast and easy. I'll try and be there at 5:45 to secure a table.

Pre funk attendees to this point,

Gareth
Lee
Azhar
Jeo
Kody
Larry
Chris
Charles
Oct 17, 2012, 10:04 AM
Doing a little poking around on the MAR/C web site this AM. Logged into my account and was looking around. Found that under the "Edit" tab then under "My newsletters" I was checked for getting MAR/C news but not MAR/C Board Elections Ballot via email. This might be how I set it or maybe that's the default setting. Might want to look at this on your accounts.

Also under "My account" on the "View" tab if you look at the very bottom of the page you will see "Download Printable Membership Card". Now that is cool! I've been looking for my membership card in the mail for months and months. Why didn't they just tell me I could print the dang thing myself! lol
Oct 17, 2012, 10:55 AM
aka ECAA3D
Didn't realize my sisters father in law was such a prominent figure.
I knew he was one of the head guys in marketing for the Seahawks but I didn't know his whole history before he went over to the Sounders.

Pretty modest guy too. Couldn't be nicer.

http://www.soundersfc.com/team/staff...ry-wright.aspx
Oct 17, 2012, 11:12 AM
Gone 2 Drone Darkside! FPV FAA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38
appears the marc web site is offline..at least for me. I can't bring it up to see if that thread is locked or something.
EDIT: finally got it to load and I posted a new message. It has to clear the moderator first before it goes live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38
Are you referring to my MARC forum post or sometime where I called out something you said?

Regarding a MARC board member reading posts here.. doubtfull they even know about RCG, and if one or more actually do read this thread due to it being mentioned to them by more sympathetic marc members...does it really matter?

20-30 years from now when most of us are enjoying our retirement, hanging out at the field in lawn chairs, can you imagine what the tech will be like then?

Cry, I saw you call someone out on RC groups with a brilliant display of historical post quotes & pictures. I thought to myself this guy is scary smart, your earned my respect & have since gained my loyalty & allegiance.

Wonderful insight & wisdom, your absolutely right 20 to 30 years we will be "the old-farts holding the RC field torch" talkin about the old days of 3D, flying with hand eye coordination & trying to cope with as well as comprehend 4D FPV controlled via brainwaves. Tech is advancing at an exponential rate.

The board & legacy club members are just like our grandfathers. Some risked their lives for us & our freedom. They also built, promoted & protected an RC field in the middle of a public park, no easy task.I may not like their miss-guided actions at times but they do have my respect.

Kindest Regards,
Earl
Last edited by WhirLee; Oct 20, 2012 at 01:09 AM.
Oct 17, 2012, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerxky
In 20 years:

Auto pilot will be a safety feature enabled by hyper accurate GPS....I think that is all doable in the lab now under controlled conditions and can be productized in 20 years.
I agree, but I have to ask, if that was all available now, would anyone go to a flying field? Do you think there will be flying fields in 20 years?

I'm sure there will be some, equate them to those who drive antique cars today. They may even have shows occasionally, but I doubt if 20 years from now, the old idea of a flying field will exist. try and enjoy it while you can, and ignore the antique auto driver who says you are driving too fast on the road! (yea, there's some symbolism in there)
Oct 17, 2012, 12:26 PM
Ok enough enough, Ohhh...how I loath politics.

Back to our regularly scheduled fun & 3D mayhem.

See you Thursday evening.
Last edited by WhirLee; Oct 20, 2012 at 01:00 AM.
Oct 17, 2012, 01:19 PM
The noise issue can get very interesting as it is not all as it appears to be. There are many factors to be taken into account. What is heard on the ground during power up is not going to be same in the air. Remember, our airplanes will easily break 1000ft and there are no buffers (trees, shrubs, etc) to baffle the noise. To make matters interesting, your engine unloads in the air.

Our noise issue has gained attention because of the condos to our left. You will notice that noise complaints were not heard during the shorter days but was making some headlines during the longer days. The reason is that during the shorter days the airplane noise becomes part of the ambient noise during normal traffic hours. During the long days, especially after 7pm, the normal traffic noise settles down and your rc engine noise becomes the highlight of the evening for the condo folks.

Just something to bear in mind.
Oct 17, 2012, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhar
The noise issue can get very interesting as it is not all as it appears to be. During the long days, especially after 7pm, the normal traffic noise settles down and your rc engine noise becomes the highlight of the evening for the condo folks.
Wonderful insight & why I sincerely hope you place your name in the nomination hat. You would be superb & level headed representative on the MARC board.
Oct 17, 2012, 02:20 PM
Go Hawks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarl Of Whirl
First rule of engagement & air superiority never under-estimate your opponent / predict, anticipate as well as counter their next potential 5 moves. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst & live to fight another day.

Cry, I saw you call someone out on RC groups with a brilliant display of historical post quotes & pictures. I thought to myself this guy is scary smart, your earned my respect & have since gained my loyalty & allegiance.

Wonderful insight & wisdom, your absolutely right 20 to 30 years we will be "the old-farts holding the RC field torch" talkin about the old days of 3D, flying with hand eye coordination & trying to cope with as well as comprehend 4D FPV controlled via brainwaves. Tech is advancing at an exponential rate.

The board & legacy club members are just like our grandfathers. Some risked their lives for us & our freedom. They also built, promoted & protected an RC field in the middle of a public park, no easy task.I may not like their miss-guided actions at times but they do have my respect.

Kindest Regards,
Earl
oh..that post...yeah I remember that one now.
LOL

thank you sir!
Oct 17, 2012, 06:26 PM
Go Hawks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaTim
Now that's a plane hauler! I sent a message to the guy again to see what the story was on the 330. He's in Santa Barbara and said he had a local guy on the hook but would let me know after their "huck" (which looked like it sucked compared to ours!) I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything. He's about 2 hours north of where I'm at this week but if he gives me a green light I'm going to get creative with my time and make this work!
That Lodi thread sure is sparse no?
Oct 17, 2012, 06:31 PM
Go Hawks!
His buddies are trying very hard not to laugh at his misery and pain, but they fail!

Catch the Ice Dude [Original] (1 min 19 sec)

Quick Reply